INSIGNIA Entertainment

Line Dancer

There will be the usually singers/dancers from the cruise line

As for the individual acts they change with each cruise (usually)

Could have a magician, fiddle player, guitarist, pianist etc..

You just never know what Oceania has in store ;)

Lyn

• 4 weeks later...

Just did 19 days on Insignia.

The entertainment in general was of poor quality, though well attended. Ships staff served double duty running quizzes, needle point and such during the day and standing in as solo performers at night. Kudos for their efforts but it goes to their caliber. The specialty acts were not worth mention and the lounge singer was reminiscent of a Saturday Night Live skit. The string quartet did a brutal rendition of Purple Haze that should never be repeated. Oceania could have brought on local talent in Recife to give the cruise an authentic South American flavor but failed to do so. While on Azamara in Istanbul they did this and it spiced up the venue. It was pretty much lights out by 11:00pm as dancing and Karaoke was poorly attended and staff would shut it down by 11:30pm. Perhaps if they offered happy hour after the evening entertainment Oceania would be able to generate some night life.

Betty,

As you have seen there is no easy answer.

Lyn and I were on the same Nordic cruise last summer. I'm not speaking for her! But Howard and I (both classical musicians) thought the entertainment was definitely superior to what we have encountered before. There was no "line dancing" and the entertainers were pretty much solo entertainers. Most of them seemed to be from Poland, which made sense in terms of the ease of getting them to and from the ship.

We had a classical pianist, a Gypsy violinist, a jazz/pop performer who played multiple instruments, and so on. The level was very high for what they did. The jazz/pop performer was asked back for an extra performance. The pianist did at least two appearances.

If you wanted to see a Broadway show, this wasn't the cruise for it.

But as happy as we were with the entertainment on that cruise (and we usually are NOT -- at least not particularly on Oceania cruises) -- I saw posts shortly after we left the ship that were complaining about the entertainment on Insignia.

So you really cannot predict what you will find.

Based on our experience last year, I'd guess that you may well have more Polish (or at least northern European) entertainers on your cruise... but I certainly cannot promise!

If you want to see line dancing ... hmmm, probably not!

Maybe you should volunteer!

Mura

Betty,

As you have seen there is no easy answer.

Lyn and I were on the same Nordic cruise last summer. I'm not speaking for her! But Howard and I (both classical musicians) thought the entertainment was definitely superior to what we have encountered before. There was no "line dancing" and the entertainers were pretty much solo entertainers. Most of them seemed to be from Poland, which made sense in terms of the ease of getting them to and from the ship.

We had a classical pianist, a Gypsy violinist, a jazz/pop performer who played multiple instruments, and so on. The level was very high for what they did. The jazz/pop performer was asked back for an extra performance. The pianist did at least two appearances.

If you wanted to see a Broadway show, this wasn't the cruise for it.

But as happy as we were with the entertainment on that cruise (and we usually are NOT -- at least not particularly on Oceania cruises) -- I saw posts shortly after we left the ship that were complaining about the entertainment on Insignia.

So you really cannot predict what you will find.

Based on our experience last year, I'd guess that you may well have more Polish (or at least northern European) entertainers on your cruise... but I certainly cannot promise!

If you want to see line dancing ... hmmm, probably not!

Maybe you should volunteer!

Mura

Thanks Mura for your insighful observations. Like most everyone, we choose O for their wonderful food, service, and the superb "uncrowded" ambience their ships offer. Hopefully we will be fortunate to experience a featured pianist, violinist, and/or jazz performer.

My line dancing days have pretty much ceased since having 2 knee replacements :)

Betty

I agree with MURA we did have some very good performers on the Norway cruise

Sadly they have changed their booking company

we found the performers on Marina (3rd sailing) to be very poor

Those on the first 2 sailings had very good entertainment so I hear but they were trying to impress on those voyages

Again it all depends on your tastes in entertainment

They did had a string quartet that were very good ...Russian I think

Lyn

Thought it might just be my taste but found this quote about Insignia entertainment in ship reviews.

My strongest complaint is the woefully inadequate entertainment. It was a mixture of poor quality, and what at times seemed to be bizarre programming. I know the ship doesn’t have production numbers, and that is fine with me. However, they should be able to have quality entertainment. The ship’s band was from Poland, and seemed to continually play tired jazz. At times the acts belied belief; a marionette show, and a clarinetist who said “I’m sure you all remember the Benny Goodman performance at Carnegie Hall in 1938”. There was not one singer, dancer or comedian from Spain, Greece, Egypt, Cyprus, Israel or Turkey! We sailed on the Nautica in 2009 on the Auckland Sydney run, and the ship featured excellent local talent. The programming seemed geared to 90 year olds. We complained about the entertainment to the cruise director, and as he could not give any assurances as to the quality of entertainment on the upcoming Caribbean season, we cancelled our February cruise on the Regatta. If the passengers are in their 70’s and 60’s, then the music should have been from the 50’s and 60’s. It was only in the Insignia Lounge that we had decent dance music, thanks to the member of the entertainment staff who programmed the automated music system to play songs to our liking. By the way, the Insignia

If one wants to see a Broadway show NO cruise line is the place for it. Let's face it....who comes on a cruise ship to sing and dance other than people who can't make it on Broadway or even Vegas? Yes, I know I will hear from those who think they have seen fabulous performances on ships but how rare is that? You won't find Hugh Jackman on any ship.

My point is come with appropriate expectations and you won't be disappointed. Or do what I do, skip the shows entirely.

My point is come with appropriate expectations and you won't be disappointed. Or do what I do, skip the shows entirely.

There is no need for it to be as bad as it is, instead of a negative experience or one people avoid how difficult or expensive would it be for O to make the shows entertaining? That is what they bill it as entertainment. They are supposed to be a higher end cruise line.

Entertainment is like food. On the same evening, on the same ship, on the same cruise, you will find some folks who love it and some who hate it. Neither is right or wrong. They're just reporting their perception, which is absolutely useless to the next person.

I usually avoid questions with no factual answers, such as about food, entertainment, or which cruise someone else might enjoy. But, I'll jump into this one with an answer that proves my point:

We were on Marina's first two voyages plus the Preview cruise to Nassau for a total of 34 days. The only nights we missed the entertainment were the nights we spent in La Reserve or Privee', and those two nights only because the lingering dining was so great. The production singers and dancers put on 4 different shows, only one of which was outstanding "Con Molto", but the others were worth watching if only because the caliber of performance was the best we have seen on any ship. There were several other cabaret-style performances by professionals flown in to various ports for the purpose, and they were all as good as any cabaret performances I have ever seen on any ship.

In a total of 91 nights aboard Oceania and 17 aboard Regent, those two shows while we were dining were the only shows we have missed, and we liked every one of them but one -- a modern dancer who gyrated on the lounge floor in Insignia, out of sight of the audience in that lounge. I'm sure she was pretty good, but we couldn't see her.

I'm not classically trained like Mura and her husband, but I have a classical "ear". I love symphony, string or wind ensemble, opera, dance and marching band, in that order. I can't stand country, and my ears hurt when my DW watches American Idol.

In the face of all the negative and "adequate" comments about Oceania's entertainment, how can I like it so much? See, I told you opinions on this subject are worthless to others!

In the face of all the negative and "adequate" comments about Oceania's entertainment, how can I like it so much? See, I told you opinions on this subject are worthless to others!

Just because people give negative reviews does not mean one cannot enjoy the entertainment or gain knowledge from the comments. These discussions prepare and inform new O cruisers on what to expect.

We started cruising on small ships as that was pretty much all that was available. Now most new cruisers to O have been on a mid size or mega ships and they have higher expectations and are not impressed.

It's not that I would never cruise O again because of the entertainment but why should O get a pass on such low quality shows? It only requires a bit of effort and thought on managements part to raise the level. This is the venue to raise awareness and hopefully bring about change. You may be "content" with the current level but would you actually be disappointed if O raised the level of their offerings?

I disagree with your statement "They're just reporting their perception, which is absolutely useless to the next person." but I do value your opinion because of the way you presented and justified it.

I value others' opinions as well, but I guess it just grates on me a little bit when I read things like, "...but why should O get a pass on such low quality shows?", as if it is fact. That the shows are of low quality is opinion. Yes, they don't compare with Cirque du Soleil or Blue Man Group, but that doesn't mean they are of low quality. Most of the performers I have seen on Oceania are very professional and of very high quality -- in my opinion, and in the opinion of most of the viewers, judging by their reactions, and who consistently fill the theater lounges.

Typical was the solo clarinetist who could make the instrument laugh, weep, sigh, whisper and roar, all in the context of gorgeous music. But, I'm sure there were some who did not appreciate it and might have labeled it "low quality", just as there are some that think that screeching is singing and vibrato indicates a shaky voice.

Personally, I'm somewhat glad that some passengers don't like the entertainment; otherwise it would be much more difficult to get a seat.

I pretty much agree with Don. I don't go on a cruise for the entertainment but we do try out many of the shows. If we don't like them, we leave early. (That may not be so easy to do with the more "theater" set-up on the new ships, however!)

We don't expect a Broadway show or a Carnegie Hall virtuoso performance. But there can be lots to enjoy if you don't expect the moon.

There are types of shows that I will reject sight unseen because I know I don't like them -- magic acts usually qualify here, although on QE2 we saw a marvelous magician one night. Not only were his tricks good, but he was awfully funny. And like Don, I'm not much of a fan of country music -- or rock. But I love the old Broadway standards and jazz (not that I remember Benny Goodman's performance in 1938).

Speaking of QE2, we were very impressed with the entertainment they had on our first cruise which was NY-NY via the Caribbean. But they would fly in an act for a day or two, and then they were changed. Of course, this was a larger ship (although the passenger capacity as I recall was on the order of 1750 which isn't so big compared to today's behemoths). On average, these were the best shows we've ever seen on a cruise ship -- but not all were so wonderful. It was just a higher average. (But the average diminished on the transatlantic we did on QE2. Not so easy to fly in the entertainers on that route!)

Why anyone would expect small ships like Oceania, et al., to have super duper entertainment is another question ... And I am one of those who prefers that the available funds be spent on food and the other amenities, NOT entertainment! By that I mean, if something must be sacrificed to stay within the budget, I much prefer that it be the shows.

J

It's not that I would never cruise O again because of the entertainment but why should O get a pass on such low quality shows? It only requires a bit of effort and thought on managements part to raise the level.

I wonder if you can define "quality shows" with your definition/perception?

I just know what I like or dislike whether they are high or low quality I do not know.

We had a show on the Marina others loved it, we did not!

Is that quality or personal taste???

Lyn

One of our first cruises was onboard the NORWAY (old S.S. FRANCE) in 1986. Did anyone else cruise that ship?

We had 2 shows that we felt were the best ever on any of our other 20+ cruises. One was the Broadway show FIDDLER ON THE ROOF. Other was by one of our favorite groups back then - THE 4 FRESHMAN

That ship had a wonderful stage for such productions.

We were on a 14 day Med on the Insignia last Sept. I had read many comments about the entertainment aboard and most comments were just so-so. We enjoyed the entertainment we saw. The Quartet, in my opinion, was very good. The comedian had me smiling and laughing for most of his act. The piano player in Martini's was very good as well.

If I had to rate the entertainment.. I'd call it "adequate". It was "entertainment" and it kept us "entertained". Was it like going to a big name concert ? No. But it was OK.

We went on the cruise for the itinerary and the FOOD !

And.... O-M-G, we were NOT disappointed. The food, and presentation of the food, was entertainment in itself.

I found myself sort of giggling like a kid getting a hot fudge sundae with every course they served me.

We were on a 14 day Med on the Insignia last Sept. I had read many comments about the entertainment aboard and most comments were just so-so. We enjoyed the entertainment we saw. The Quartet, in my opinion, was very good. The comedian had me smiling and laughing for most of his act. The piano player in Martini's was very good as well.

If I had to rate the entertainment.. I'd call it "adequate". It was "entertainment" and it kept us "entertained". Was it like going to a big name concert ? No. But it was OK.

We went on the cruise for the itinerary and the FOOD !

And.... O-M-G, we were NOT disappointed. The food, and presentation of the food, was entertainment in itself.

I found myself sort of giggling like a kid getting a hot fudge sundae with every course they served me.

Everybody looks for different things on a cruise. For me the entertainment means nothing. The shows could be good, the shows could be bad, it doesn't matter as I won't go anyway. I don't go on a cruise for a show. Now, if we're talking about food and restaurants those can be a deal breaker for me and I understand that might not be important to others. So if good entertainment is a barometer for a cruise's success perhaps one should seek out the lines which are well known for that, i.e. Crystal. (Where I still wouldn't go to the shows.)

If evening entertainment is important to you, don't sail O. Choose another line. I think it's that simple. They just do not shine in that area -- and do not even try to. Marina and Riviera are supposed to have improved entertainment -- I will find out in November.

I am content with the low quality entertainment -- I know it ahead of time so I am not disappointed -- and with O's port intensive itineraries I am usually too tired to stay up for the show anyway.

One of our first cruises was onboard the NORWAY (old S.S. FRANCE) in 1986. Did anyone else cruise that ship?

We had 2 shows that we felt were the best ever on any of our other 20+ cruises. One was the Broadway show FIDDLER ON THE ROOF. Other was by one of our favorite groups back then - THE 4 FRESHMAN

That ship had a wonderful stage for such productions.

We cruised it and I still reminisce with friends about the shows, the amazing MDR, the waiters dancing with the Baked Alaskans on their heads coming down the Grand staircase into the dinning room and those unbelievable midnight buffets. Caviar and crab! The chocolate buffet where they used hundreds of pounds of chocolate! Those days are long gone.

Thank God.

On the second last night of our most recent cruise on O I noted caviar as an appetizer on the menu and mentioned it to our waiter, he explained that the menu was special as it was a gala dinner menu, I looked around me and was unaware of any difference in the ambience of the room to any other night.

Not clear on the intent of your comment wripro but now and then the wife and I enjoy a sense of occasion and judging from the number of cruisers who crowded into the Captain's hosted High tea so do most people.

The midnight buffets are gone now but other lines are doing special brunches which are basically the same thing only held during the middle of the day in their MDR's, they even have the ships string quartet play in the room during the service. The presentations are almost as grand with ice sculptures and such as in the old days but now the effort and the food does not go to waste.

This a excellent example of management thinking out of the box, they reduced costs and effort and preserved a special occasion enjoyed and appreciated by more guests.

...The midnight buffets are gone now but other lines are doing special brunches which are basically the same thing only heldduring the middle of the day in their MDR's, they even have the ships string quartet play in the room during the service. The presentations are almost as grand with ice sculptures and such as in the old days but now the effort and the food does not go to waste.

This a excellent example of management thinking out of the box, they reduced costs and effort and preserved a special occasion enjoyed and appreciated by more guests.

I'm a little confused by this statement, as this is exactly what Oceania has done at least once on every cruise we have taken with them! Ice sculptures, special bread displays, wine bottle displays, string quartet playing, and recently, ice shrimp mountains -- ice sculptures with shelves loaded with jumbo shrimp. Here's a tower of pastry puffs being constructed on Marina for the special buffet.

marina%20pastry.JPG

This was not done on the two O cruises I was on, hondorner did they do it as a brunch in the MDR on all the O cruises you have been on? The 19 day I was just on had one brunch but nothing special, bread, fruit and wine displayed on tables as you came into the MDR but that was it? Then a Captain high tea at 4:00 in the afternoon lots of finger foods and some hot crapes. Wripro seems to have experienced even less!

Archived