Just curious, why does everyone seem to prefer early seating?

Jan2007

I read very often how people seem to prefer the early seating option to the late seating option and I just am wondering why that is?

I understand early seating is around 6 and late seating is 8:30pm. Well, when someone is coming from another timezone, 8:30 might end up feeling like 7:30 or 6:30 or even 5:30 to them (American time zones). For me "7:30" won't feel like a late dinner, but feeling like I am having dinner at 5pm could certainly feel early.

I was just wondering if it is just timing (esp with young kids) that is making the early seating desirable or whether there are other reasons (like timing for shows, whatever else) as to why early seating is preferrable to most?

Our daughter will be 2 1/2 when we cruise next may 2012. We prefer early seating because our daughter is usually asleep at 8pm. We are the same timezone so I can see what your saying why would it matter being in a different timezone. Try having to entertain a grumpy kid while waiting to eat at 8pm when we usually eat anywhere from 5 to 6pm. Currently we are seating for late dinning but we hope to have this changed when we get on the cruise ship.

We are late-seating people, so we are very happy that it's always easily available on Disney. That is definitely not the case on other cruise lines, where the late seating fills up first.

The way the show schedule is set up on Disney, you either have the first seating for dinner followed by the show, or the show first followed by late seating dinner. Choosing late seating gives us a little extra time to get ready for the evening if we choose to go the show, or the option of skipping the show altogether and enjoying extra hours in port or by the pool.

Another late diner! I like the feeling of not being rushed on vacation or getting a little extra pool time when they are not so packed (my kids especially love this, three kids ages 4-10 currently) !! Port days especially, early dining was too hard. We like being able to come back from ports, order a late lunch from room service, and take a long nap as a family because everyone is exhausted from the beach/walking/sun. When on early dining our kids wouldn't have time for a nap (and when they were younger this was a nightmare) and dinner was not enjoyable. We always seem to eat all meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner) later while cruising, and there is tons of food available if you need a quick snack. Plus everyone's normal sleep patterns are changed during vacation times, especially kids so the late hours work better than you would expect. Then on sea days you can do other activites while the majority of people are packed around the pool and head up to enjoy the pool later when it starts to empty out more. Photo lines seems to shorter before late dining rather than early too. Seems you avoid the crowds this way. Just our preference!

I can't imagine the rushed feeling after a shore excursion to make early seating. We like to get back to the cabin, have a shower and a glass of Champagne, and wind down. We also like to take our time while we dine.

My son, 18, and I prefer early dining because we find that eating heavily at 8:00pm is too late. Going to bed on a full stomach is uncomfortable and makes it difficult to sleep. Last July was the first cruise we tried the second seating and have decided to not do it again. If we are unable to get early seating we will do free style eating. It is just a matter of habit and comfort. When we are home we normally eat between 5:30 and 6:00.

Same situation here. Although we have to rush a bit for early seating, finishing a large dinner around 9:30-10 pm is too late for us. We end up feeling over stuffed when we go to sleep. Also, having a show and then dinner is okay but it seems more fun (for us) to have dinner and then a show.

I can't imagine the rushed feeling after a shore excursion to make early seating. We like to get back to the cabin, have a shower and a glass of Champagne, and wind down. We also like to take our time while we dine.

I totally agree!

Because they are old and can't stay up after 8:00 PM. We did a HAL cruise and the late shows were nearly deserted. I went to a piano bar one evening after the show and it was just me and the piano player. I felt sorry for him so I had to stay and order a few drinks.

DON

We like early dinner because we eat by 5:30 p.m. at home. We also don't like the heavy feeling of going to bed on that full stomach :eek:... and, during that late dinner, kids are just too tired. :(

I do, though, understand that on the Dream, Oceaneer's will come pick up the kids at dinner at 9:30 p.m. so parents can finish dinner. Good idea, Disney, but mine are in bed by then... making late dinner less desirable.

YEAH for first seating!!:)

Early for us since DS is going to be 18 months when we cruise in June. We usually eat at about 6 -6:30...he is in bed by 8...so we are hoping and praying we get switched otherwise we will not be eating in the dining room this cruise..:(

I do, though, understand that on the Dream, Oceaneer's will come pick up the kids at dinner at 9:30 p.m. so parents can finish dinner. Good idea, Disney, but mine are in bed by then... making late dinner less desirable.

They do this on the Wonder too although they came by at 9 pm.

Something for consideration, especially for first timers - Depending upon your activity level, especially on excursions and swimming time, the excitement of it all and the physical activity can ultimately take a lot of out you, and the kids. Accordingly, even at early dining, I see sleepy children and tired parents with a glazed over, but happy look.

We like early seating because it's the time the kids are most likely to actually be hungry and eat. BUT, with late dining, which we've had, the kids actually rested in the late afternoons, one even napped, and we had happy, hungry, and awake children at night who ate dinner late after being wide eyed and happy at the earlier show.

Point is you can plan for what you think everyone will like/prefer, etc. and when you get on the ship and actually start cruising and enjoying, you may find that the other option actually can work or even work better.

Keep in mind that if you're from the West Coast, late seating will likely fit your dinner meal time being three hours off though I can't remember actually being hungry on a cruise.

we have been on 2 disney cruises so far. we have 3 kids from 6,7,11 wanted early dinner but could not get it. we closed down the dining room every night the kids had so much fun with wait staff we could not pull them away. magictricks puzzels napkin tricks etc. if you have early seating you have to clear out for the next seating. we asked for late foe next trip- great again. liked show before dinner too

As others have said, I think on Disney it is the number of young children that makes early seating more popular. We have a 3 yo and she is used to eatting at 6pm and being in bed by 8. She does better on vacation if we keep to her schedule so early seating works better for us. I'm not saying we couldn't make late seating work but it would likely be more trying on our daughter. When we cruise alone I prefer late seating for the more lesiurely pace and b/c I actually prefer to eat later.

Keep in mind that if you're from the West Coast, late seating will likely fit your dinner meal time being three hours off though I can't remember actually being hungry on a cruise.

That is, unless you are cruising on the Wonder from the West Coast and you are on your own time zone. ;)

I have always booked late seating, never done early dining. We prefer not to be rushed out of dinner for the next group. Also at home I don't even generally get home from work until after 6:30-7:00 range, by the time I cook dinner it is usually 8 so the late seating is closer to what I eat at home. I also tend to eat lunches later around 2 which leaves early seating too early as I am not hungry again.

I like late seating, I don't like to be rushed to my dinner after excursions and dining room is less crowded. Also, I get to enjoy the sunset every night on the ship without conflict. I think the reason why many prefer early seating is because of the little one needs to sleep early.

When it has been just my husband and I, we prefer late seating. But when we take our son on his 1st cruise, we'll want early seating because 1) he's used to eating between 500-530 and 2) he goes to bed about 730. We'd like to keep him as close to his usual schedule as possible to help prevent any meltdowns (his or ours!) :)

Wow, so cool to see all these perspectives!

I have to admit, we are night owls in comparison to what I've been reading on here :eek:

We eat dinner late and tend to stay up late. Family of night owls.

So its a good thing that disney late seating is more easily available as it would be a no-brainer for us.

Archived