Take your personal wine to MDR?

engrdad

Thanks...I should know better but it really bothers me when people are so proud of abusing the rules. I've never run into such people on any of our cruises so they must keep to themselves. :p

Thanks again for your words of wisdom & time to move on to another subject. Hey, I'm cruising for a week in about a month...life's good! :D

And they know it really bothers some of us, so they continue to 'fuel the fire' in hopes of ????

Just check out all the topics here on the main board that can be argued, and you will find the same posters responding to those subjects continuously. We all fall into the trap once in awhile, including me, when it is a subject that just sets your head spinning wondering how anyone could do something like that and still walk with their heads high......... lol

Enjoy that cruise next month. :)

They are also usually the same ones that join roll calls, get involved in discussions, but never show up at a M&G onboard as they really don't want anyone to be able to recognize them. :p

Sorry to disappoint you but I have been to a few of the meetings & found them a complete waste of my time. Besides that, there are no free drinks at any of them. Most times I could be sitting on my balcony enjoying the sailaway having my glass or rum & getting ready for dinner.

Unless there's something to add to a particular discussion why bother posting? I respond to subjects that I feel interesting and sometimes become argumentative because people believe their interpretation is the only way. ie. dress code, liquor, tender service, muster, disembarkation, smoking, etc. There is hardly a comment you can make about these subject without getting someones dander up. :p Why bother to post comments like "have a nice cruise" :D. There are a few people on this board who feel it necessary to respond to every post to keep their count up & are in a competition with a few others for the highest number.

Thanks...I should know better but it really bothers me when people are so proud of abusing the rules. I've never run into such people on any of our cruises so they must keep to themselves. :p

Thanks again for your words of wisdom & time to move on to another subject. Hey, I'm cruising for a week in about a month...life's good! :D

Again, you believe it to be abuse & I don't so we will never solve this discussion.

Perhaps we will run across each other some day soon. :D I'm easy to spot....casual clothing on formal dinners, jeans after dinner on formal nights, carrying my wine glass to the dinner table & always sitting in the Princess theater 45 minutes to 1 hour before the show, center row about mid audience, reserving a seat for the wife & watching a movie usually with a glass of something from my cabin.

Wow, I really did not mean to stir up such a "ruckus".

First, as I stated, I have no issue with the corkage fee. I thought the post on the FB did not ring true which is why I asked the question here.

Now, I will probably get flamed for the following but, hey it won't be the first time that my opinion does not mesh with the majority (or most opinionated) on a board.

Due to my job, I have lived in several countries around the world (south east asia, middle east, europe). Of the many different cultures, the one thing that sticks in my mind is that, with the exception of Germany and some parts of the Netherlands, the United States culture is the most anal about following rules. This is not necessarily a bad thing, unless take to an extreme. FYI... I am an American and believe the USA is the greatest country on earth.

One example is that I orderd food at a nice restaurant in China a couple of years ago. When the waiter brought out my food, it was not the dish that I ordered. When I questioned it, he simply stated that they were out of the dish I ordered, so he picked what he thought was an appropriate substitute. He thought it was strange that I expected him to let me know and allow me to pick my own alternative. Thier attitue is "mai wente" or no worrys, go with the flow.

Back to the subject, when I booked my ticket with Princess, I had a pleasant conversation with the lady about the "rules" regarding alcohol. She stated that it was perfectly acceptable to bring wine AND liquor. She said is was "suggested" not to bring liquor but to just put it in my suit case and not (how did she put it), "wave it around and make a big deal about it" and it would be fine. We compared it to smoking pot in Amsterdam. It is against the law. However, the police there do not enforce it unless you are causing trouble.

So, there will be those who follow every rule or suggested rule to the letter and there will be those who try and get around every rule. I like to believe I am somewhere in the middle (ok, maybe leaning a little to obiding by the rules). In any case, it sounds like Princess is pretty cool about the whole thing and is out to provide a memorable and fun experience to all. I look forward to my upcoming cruise and perhaps meeting some of you cruise critic experts on board. ;)

Edited by engrdad

We cruised on the Diamond Princess once and I brought an entire case of champagne and wine (1 of each) on board in the open. Many passengers were shocked that I walked right in with both cases on a wheeled cart. Staff on board joked that they wanted to follow me to the party. It was a birthday week for me and a friend on the same cruise and we toasted every night on the balcony before dinner and brought wine to dinner. They only charged $15 if we asked them to uncork the wine with dinner. Sometimes we brought it in already open. So when we went on NCL, we were shocked that they didn't allow the same ability to bring our own champagne and wine on board at no cost.

Sorry to disappoint you but I have been to a few of the meetings & found them a complete waste of my time. Besides that, there are no free drinks at any of them. Most times I could be sitting on my balcony enjoying the sailaway having my glass or rum & getting ready for dinner.

Unless there's something to add to a particular discussion why bother posting? I respond to subjects that I feel interesting and sometimes become argumentative because people believe their interpretation is the only way. ie. dress code, liquor, tender service, muster, disembarkation, smoking, etc. There is hardly a comment you can make about these subject without getting someones dander up. :p Why bother to post comments like "have a nice cruise" :D. There are a few

people on this board who feel it necessary to respond to every post to keep their count up & are in a competition with a few others for the highest number.

Again, you believe it to be abuse & I

don't so we will never solve this discussion.

Perhaps we will run across each other some day soon. :D I'm easy to spot....casual clothing on formal dinners, jeans after dinner on formal nights, carrying my wine glass to the dinner table & always sitting in the Princess

theater 45 minutes to 1 hour before the show, center row about mid audience, reserving a seat for the wife & watching a movie usually with a glass of something from my cabin.

Happy weren't you pretty hardcore against smokers?

Happy weren't you pretty hardcore against smokers?

You might consider me hardcore but I don't put myself in that category. I can live with Princess's smoking areas except for the balconies where it's impossible to control where the smoke goes & that's where I draw the line since it denies me use of something I paid a lot extra for.

Other than that I'm very lenient and not much else bothers me- chair hogs, dress, line jumpers, drunks, seat savers in the show lounges, etc. I can get around the abuse they create but the smoke on balconies I cannot.

I look at it this way. If "I" ever get so desperate for a drink, that I need to make sure to get extras at a cocktail party to take to dinner with me because #1-"I" am too cheap to purchase my own, or #2-"I" am too broke to afford to buy my own, or #3-"I" think I need an extra drink so badly that I will do anything to get it without paying for it, "I" will stop cruising. But then, this is just "ME". ;)

Toto, can't help but comment that you sound like "Goodie Two Shoes" Just kidding, couldn't resist. ;)

Quote"They will definitely charge corkage fee per bottle. "

Not true, we got back from the Star last Sunday week and twice, once in the MDR and once in Crown Grill i took bottles of unopened wine expecting a corkage fee and we never got one so i think it depands on the wait staff you get and if they can be bothered writing up the $15 fee.

i can also understand why some people carry drinks into the dining rooms, every night we would meet up at the Wheelhouse Bar and order drinks which we would then take to dinner.

Thanks...I should know better but it really bothers me when people are so proud of abusing the rules.

Half of these people are just trying to get a rise out of you.

As far as the $15 corkage fee goes, I would never bring a bottle in assuming that I won't be charged. They got us everytime on the Ruby. I think that would include 4-5 bottles with company. So, if I'm going to bring wine in for dinner, it will probably be good wine. Of course, if I have one bottle left on the last night, it's coming in for dinner and the $15 is money well spent.

Last July, on CB, my husband and I hung out at Vines a lot; great bartender and great mix of people there. MANY people brought their own bottles of wine over to Vines and the bartender would open them (with no corkage fee) in exchange for a taste. Bartender also arranged it so that the bottles of wine that people brought, were brought to MD. Bartender also did this for us one night--but the bottle went to the Crown Grill.

I have to note though--that the bottles of wine people were bringing were NOT cheap bottles--but very nice vintages (for the most part). We were lucky enough to sample a few. So who knows if it would have been different.

Also, we forgot a corkscrew and the same bartender gave us one to use in our cabin no problem.

ETA--I should mention that all the people that did this (including ourselves) also purchased bottles and glasses of wine from Princess throughout the cruise. So I don't feel that (at least in this case) Princess was getting ripped off.

Edited by Stephy0519

• 4 years later...

And I bet you would know with all those sailings under your belt! Wow, I am also jealous of your future plans, ENJOY and report back your reviews.

I wouldn't stake my life on that advice. There's a very good change you'll be charged a corkage fee regardless of whether the cork is in our out.

Lew