Tips for new cruisers!!

apmecruise

Another tip for you:

Embarkation day is the first day of your cruise. Get there no later than 10:30AM and you'll avoid the lines that bulge after noon time, you'll be among the first on board and can get something to eat before the crowd arrives and will be able to get a drink afterwards and enjoy a nice afternoon wandering and exploring the ship wile everyone else is lining up to get through security or are jammed into the buffet trying to get something to eat.

Over the years, I have managed to whittle down our packing to 2 weekender bags and 2 backpacks.

I don't buy gifts for people back home (usually)

I do bring :

a baseball cap for pool

sunblock

sunglasses

"just in case" fold up rain pouches

2 fold up bags for other stuff

shoe holder for small items as they are then compartmentalized

Brookstone nice noisemaker to drown out bad noise (you never know when you are going to have noisy neighbors)

12 foot extension cord

6 small thank you cards with envelopes

all different size baggies (great to bring things down from buffet for snacking later)

post-its

my own corkscrew from home

medicine enough for 1 day more than anticipated time away

sweatshirt

jeans

all my requisite toiletry/makeup/razor, etc.

But most importantly, I try to leave all my problems at home and bring a smile.

Hope your first time is a sheer delight :)

hand sanitizer may be good to have off ship. i have a tiny one that looks like a key-chain.

things i bring 2 of, just "in case": flip flops, sunblock, sunglasses. I'm not one to willingly pay $16 for sunblock just because I left mine on the beach.

as far as medicine goes, i bring quite a bit (although i don't normally take much medicine, i don't want to need it, and not have it on hand) Benedryl (use it for sleep or allergies), tums or pepto, excedrin, ibuprofen, bonine and / or ginger, scop. patches are a must for me.

don't underestimate the power of a good hat.

Disagree, over planning works for some people, base this on the type of person you are. Some people can go on vacation and just go with the flow. Some need to have everything planned to a tee but be versatile enough to fly with it if things go awry. I happen to be the latter, I have been a traveller for all of adult years and super plan everything and yet manage to totally enjoy my vacations (I'm just that kind of person). Besides I find planning and anticipation is 1/2 the fun of my vacation.

Disagree with this as well.

My first cruise, I made a list of everything that I could find as tips to packing and placed the reason people said they took it. (If I could not figure out the reason or they didn't write it, I came back on the board and asked why someone might want to bring whatever it was). Then I just deleted off the list the items I figured I wouldn't need, want etc that applied to my particular cruise and family. You really have to be able to assess your own needs. Once on board I took the copy of my packing list and revised to what I should have brought and shouldn't have and voila my packing list is now complete for every cruise.

Examples:

Power strip (didn't need) - The only electrical item I bring is my laptop and cell. Cell is turned off and therefore only needs charging on my last day of cruise and my laptop is only plugged in when in use.

Highlighter (didn't take 2nd cruse) - Almost everyone says to bring this!! Well I brought and had the messiest confusing daily freestyle you could imagine. Next cruise I just brought a small dayplanner and wrote activities in pencil we were interested in doing - worked like a charm.

Over the door shoe holder (bring) - I am very very organized and loved this tip and even take it camping and to hotels with us.

Envelopes different sizes (bring) - Organizers need places to stuff paperwork received, receipts from OB account and tips for ie. stewards.

Fold up cloth boxes (bring) - Again an organizer, and loved for small loose items to be in one spot. (If you are not an organizer the previous 3 items would be of no benefit to you)

Nightlight (didn't bring 2nd cruise) - The TV worked just fine as a dim light in our room. Or leaving the bathroom light on and the door partially closed.

OP there are very long lists (I think in the new cruisers board), just search packing lists and revise to suit your own family.

I have to honestly say thank you. The people on CC are so helpful. Personally I fall in the middle. I can't just go with it. Because I hate to get somewhere and then wish I had something that I can picture on my desk or in my room. Some things I just didn't think of...bags for wet suits, sticky notes for messages (which I use all over at home!), and fold up boxes to organize. I am going on the epic which doesn't have a bathroom door so I am not sure of the shoe organizer or I would go for that. I have a teenage daughter who leaves so many little gee-gaws around that a place to store and later find would be great...if only we had a bathroom door.....

The two things that I have taken on every cruise and have never regretted:

1. Over-the-door shoe organizer = This is just so handy to place all kinds of little things in. It really helps keep counters clear. My wife loves it!

2. A combo nightlight/air freshener = We love having a cabin that smells nice every time we step into it, and the nightlight helps get to the bathroom.

There are other things we always bring, but these are the top two for us.

I've only been on one cruise, but have two more planned. I brought the over-the-door shoe organizer and loved it. It worked really well for me, but DH simply walked right past it every time he returned to our cabin and dumped the contents of his pockets on the desk. It drove me nuts! I think the fold-up cloth box will work well for him. This is a great tip.

My other favorite tip is lots of ziplock bags.

I've only been on one cruise, but have two more planned. I brought the over-the-door shoe organizer and loved it. It worked really well for me, but DH simply walked right past it every time he returned to our cabin and dumped the contents of his pockets on the desk. It drove me nuts! I think the fold-up cloth box will work well for him. This is a great tip.

My other favorite tip is lots of ziplock bags.

Too funny. Reminds me of someone I used to know :)

Archived