Tips for new cruisers!!

apmecruise

As a new cruiser, and the planner of all our families trips, I hate getting somewhere and THEN realizing what I should have brought but didn't know.

Any advice is welcome. So what types of things should I not forget to bring. Scouring these boards I have a few items I wouldn't have thought of.

Clothes line clips to clip my towel (stuff) to my chair on the ship.

An outlet strip as there might only be two outlets in the room.

A travel iron (my husband is compulsive!) borrowing seems difficult.

Bug spray for excursions (I never would have thought of that one!)

Single dollar bills for tipping (do you tip for drinks purchased or is that included?)

--------------------------

So is there other more obvious things that I am forgetting?

Thanks all. I leave on the Epic 4/16 so we are really getting excited now!

Ive hear travel irons are on the No no list.. Im not sure But thats just what ive read You can get a iron from the service desk on board.. and place it back in the hallway once you are finished..

Dont forget You favorite sodas.. I took a 20 pack of coke 2 weeks ago You just cant bring liquor ect.. and maybe some snacks like chips debbie cakes

Lots of $1 like you said because outside of the boat you will get asked for tips from everyone..

If you buy a drink on board from the bar the tip is already in place..

Dont forget simple things like deodrant tooth brush advil ect. ect. will cost you a fortune on the boat for a simple pack of advil for a headacke..

Outlet strip is always a great ideal for charging cell phones mp3 players.. And a travel clock im not sure about the epic but the 2 ships ive been on theres not been a clock inside of the room..

Enjoy your cruise I just got back last saturday and already ready to go again!!

Keep the iron at home, if you need to iron:

1. you must have packed wrong :)

2. Ask the steward to bring one to your stateroom and you can iron all at once and be done.

3. Just hang what's wrinkled in the bathroom while you are showering and the wrinkles should be released.

4. Get the Downy Wrinkle Release stuff -- SO much quicker than actually having to WORK on your vacation!

Research your vacation so that you know what to expect. Identify some things that interest you ahead of time.

Plan some activities, but leave time to just relax or for people to go their own ways.

Don't over plan. If you're traveling with others, don't assume everyone in your group will always want to do the same things at the same time, or even that they will want to meet for dinner every night. Even if they say they will, they won't!

Don't over-pack. Leave half of what you plan to bring at home. And leave 90% of the things people here tell you to bring at home.

Make a list of the essentials that you don't want to forget. Check them off when you pack them, and double check when you load them in the car! Definitely don't forget your IDs and your finances! (and don't put them in a suitcase that you will give to the porters - it happens all the time)

Relax. Go with the flow. Enjoy your vacation!

No iron. Chill out. My wife dresses pretty nice and just brings outfits that hang well. Hint - use dry cleaning bags, and put hanging clothes in at the last minute - not two days before. And unpack FIRST.

A small first aid kit with the basics, a nightlight, travel pack of clorox wipes, a thermal mug, highlighter pen, post it notes, a travel alarm clock, patience & a good attitude.

Remember to bring any medications and carry them with you, and we brought a couple 12 pks of soda in a roller bag that we checked with the rest of our luggage.

Hope you have a great time!

We never travel without a few of the disposible rain ponchos in our suitcases. Usually can get them for less than $1., and they don't take up much room. Unfortunately sometimes it rains in port:(

Myrna

Ive hear travel irons are on the No no list.. Im not sure But thats just what ive read You can get a iron from the service desk on board.. and place it back in the hallway once you are finished..

Dont forget You favorite sodas.. I took a 20 pack of coke 2 weeks ago You just cant bring liquor ect.. and maybe some snacks like chips debbie cakes

Lots of $1 like you said because outside of the boat you will get asked for tips from everyone..

Dont forget simple things like deodrant tooth brush advil ect. ect. will cost you a fortune on the boat for a simple pack of advil for a headacke..

Outlet strip is always a great ideal for charging cell phones mp3 players.. And a travel clock im not sure about the epic but the 2 ships ive been on theres not been a clock inside of the room..

Thanks so much! I appreciate the warning on the travel iron. So how do you bring all the beverages in? In a box or just as is?

Thank you so much. I just love these boards!! My husband is the compulsive ironer so I'll pass on the ...just relax message but...well....ummm...we'll see.

After I posted I found the link for new cruisers so I have lots of food for thought.

Question...should we bring beach towels for the ship and for excursions...did I read we can get them from the cruise ship. Its so hard to keep track of everything I read at the beginning so I probably ask questions that have answers right there and I really appreciate everyones help and patience.

Thank you so much. I just love these boards!! My husband is the compulsive ironer so I'll pass on the ...just relax message but...well....ummm...we'll see.

After I posted I found the link for new cruisers so I have lots of food for thought.

Question...should we bring beach towels for the ship and for excursions...did I read we can get them from the cruise ship. Its so hard to keep track of everything I read at the beginning so I probably ask questions that have answers right there and I really appreciate everyones help and patience.

Theres usually 2 towels left in your room at the beginning of the cruise and you can exchange for new ones during the cruise at the pool desk.. we took ours on the excursion with us but remember one thing.. if you loose them there will be a charge at the end of the cruise...

No iron. Chill out. My wife dresses pretty nice and just brings outfits that hang well. Hint - use dry cleaning bags, and put hanging clothes in at the last minute - not two days before. And unpack FIRST.

Irons are actually NOT allowed, fires at sea are not good so that is a no no. Here is my must haves:

Sticky notes in bright colors - DH and I but them up on the walls where we may meet, under the clock in each room. This way we know where to look if we are meeting somewhere say the library and we move on, "meet at the adult pool 1:00" sort of thing...they are easy to spot....in our rooms too...

ear plugs, just in case....

bronine

mini flash light

my own water bottle to refill

landyard for my S and S card

under clothing money,CC pocket

Don't over plan.

Disagree, over planning works for some people, base this on the type of person you are. Some people can go on vacation and just go with the flow. Some need to have everything planned to a tee but be versatile enough to fly with it if things go awry. I happen to be the latter, I have been a traveller for all of adult years and super plan everything and yet manage to totally enjoy my vacations (I'm just that kind of person). Besides I find planning and anticipation is 1/2 the fun of my vacation.

Don't over-pack. Leave half of what you plan to bring at home. And leave 90% of the things people here tell you to bring at home.

Disagree with this as well.

My first cruise, I made a list of everything that I could find as tips to packing and placed the reason people said they took it. (If I could not figure out the reason or they didn't write it, I came back on the board and asked why someone might want to bring whatever it was). Then I just deleted off the list the items I figured I wouldn't need, want etc that applied to my particular cruise and family. You really have to be able to assess your own needs. Once on board I took the copy of my packing list and revised to what I should have brought and shouldn't have and voila my packing list is now complete for every cruise.

Examples:

Power strip (didn't need) - The only electrical item I bring is my laptop and cell. Cell is turned off and therefore only needs charging on my last day of cruise and my laptop is only plugged in when in use.

Highlighter (didn't take 2nd cruse) - Almost everyone says to bring this!! Well I brought and had the messiest confusing daily freestyle you could imagine. Next cruise I just brought a small dayplanner and wrote activities in pencil we were interested in doing - worked like a charm.

Over the door shoe holder (bring) - I am very very organized and loved this tip and even take it camping and to hotels with us.

Envelopes different sizes (bring) - Organizers need places to stuff paperwork received, receipts from OB account and tips for ie. stewards.

Fold up cloth boxes (bring) - Again an organizer, and loved for small loose items to be in one spot. (If you are not an organizer the previous 3 items would be of no benefit to you)

Nightlight (didn't bring 2nd cruise) - The TV worked just fine as a dim light in our room. Or leaving the bathroom light on and the door partially closed.

OP there are very long lists (I think in the new cruisers board), just search packing lists and revise to suit your own family.

Your travel iron most likely will get confiscated. Bring a travel steamer instead. I got one at a big chain store for under $20.00 that worked great and you can steam the clothes right on the hanger. We also brought small flashlights which we left on our nightstands for those midnight trips to the bathroom.

LOL.....I think some of you probably need a Sherpa to carry all that stuff for you.

I have the smallest of the 3 piece luggage sets available. My large and medium do for my husband and myself for 10 days and the carryon, has my netbook and necessities for the airplane.

Mind you I have seen some couples come on with enough luggage to move permanently onto the ship. I often wondered when I take so much extra junk and manage with so few bags, what they must take in theirs to require that many bags.

A tote bag for the beach and shopping and large ziplock bags for wet suits.:)

*tote bag for pool/beach

*ultra lightweight backpack for shore excursions (I found a travel one that folds up to a couple of inches and, while not ultra sturdy, worked quite well)

*plastic garbage bag for our dirty clothes

*zip lock bags..I pack in them, all sizes. All liquids go into zip lock bags for travel (one experience with leakage in your luggage and you become a lifelong user!). I pack a few extra to keep loose receipts and paper work, to keep things dry/sand free on beach shore excursions

*mini speakers for my iPod. We could enjoy our own sail away music sitting on our balcony!

*lanyard for cruise card

*small wristlet purse..just big enough to hold cruise card, reading glasses and lipstick. There is no need for women to bring a big purse on a cruise!

*clothespins...hang wet swimsuits to dry, clip to bottom of shower curtain so it doesn't cling..lots of uses

I keep all my travel odds and ends together in my empty suitcase when not in use, along with my last packing list. That way I don't have to invent the wheel each time. If I am REALLY organized, I go back AFTER a trip and list everything I brought and what I never needed. I am always trying to whittle down my packing list!

Have a GREAT cruise!

As a new cruiser, and the planner of all our families trips, I hate getting somewhere and THEN realizing what I should have brought but didn't know.

Any advice is welcome. So what types of things should I not forget to bring. Scouring these boards I have a few items I wouldn't have thought of.

Clothes line clips to clip my towel (stuff) to my chair on the ship.

An outlet strip as there might only be two outlets in the room.

A travel iron (my husband is compulsive!) borrowing seems difficult.

Bug spray for excursions (I never would have thought of that one!)

Single dollar bills for tipping (do you tip for drinks purchased or is that included?)

--------------------------

So is there other more obvious things that I am forgetting?

Thanks all. I leave on the Epic 4/16 so we are really getting excited now!

Over the counter medications. Don't assume that you can buy stuff in Miami or Fort Lauderdale that you can buy at home over the counter. I found that out the hard way.

A note about irons - they're not allowed on cruise ships due to fire hazards. If you think about it, probably the worse thing that can happen on a cruise ship is fire so please, leave it home.

I'd bring some ginger tea for upset stomach. Sometimes the sea can get a little rocky and if you have a few ginger tea bags you can always get some hot water at the coffee shop and have a soothing cup of ginger tea - it really works.

Theres usually 2 towels left in your room at the beginning of the cruise and you can exchange for new ones during the cruise at the pool desk.. we took ours on the excursion with us but remember one thing.. if you loose them there will be a charge at the end of the cruise...

or just "borrow" one from a chair hog. :p

Archived