Labadee, Haiti...unsure

lakerniner

All I think about when Haiti comes to mind....a dustbowl and the images of the big earthquake. I feel horrible about going there, especially with the devastation of the land and people.

Is it really a place to relax and enjoy? I have no idea what excursions to take...can any tell me about Malfini Beach and some others? Are the beaches beautiful?

Thanks

We took our first cruise on RCCL during president's day week and loved Labadee. I had the same concerns you did but it is a completely separate, fenced off area of Haiti where you do not see the devastation of the land and the people. To be honest, I would not have even know we were in Haiti or any other country, just a tropical, beautiful area. Don't worry about being there. It is a fantastic place to enjoy the beach. From what we learned, RCCL takes exceptional care of the Haitian people who work at the resort area. There is one area that we were bothered by and it was the market area because they all want you to buy something so if you think that will bother you, you can just stay away from it. We did not do any excursions, but have heard amazing things about the Malfini Beach excursion and would consider doing it next time. There are many beach areas at Labadee so it does not seem crowded even when eveyrone from the ship or multiple ships are there at the same time. You have a choice on being on the cove side or out towards the ocean. There are lounge chairs, shade and sun all depending on what you want to do.

Just be prepared for the bar guys to run around yelling LA BA DOOZIE which was a very tasty frozen drink - with or without rum. You can also get these on the ship but we did not know about them until we were in Labadee. All the food and drinks come off the ship so you know that it is safe to consume.

Enjoy your cruise and enjoy Labadee!

We were just there two weeks ago. RCI has really fixed it up since the last time we were there and we really enjoyed the day. There are several beaches; one exclusively for suite guests and three or four others. The Suite beach is the nicest one but we enjoyed the beach right next to it too. Some folks at our table did the zip line and loved it. They also visited the market and bought a few things. The barbeque was okay but the lines were long. It was such a relaxing beach day for us. We thought we would just get off the ship for an hour or two but we stayed on the beach for about five hours.:) (By the way, there is plenty of shade if you prefer that.)

Labadee is a beautiful and relaxing beach day. It is a penninusula that is separated from the rest of Haiti by mountains. Everyone you see on Labadee are cruise passengers or they work for the cruiseline. The only exception are the sales people in the shopping area. Don't be afraid, it is very safe. I will be there week before Easter and I can't wait:D

It is my favorite cruise port. You will be aiding the economy by visiting, Haiti gets the port fee for every passenger on board. RCI and Celebrity constitute something like 90% of the tourist income in Haiti.

We have been to Labadee twice and loved it. The beaches are beautiful! You can use your ship pass for drinks, etc. Lunch is provided at no additional cost, but I would advise bringing some cash along for items you may want from the market and tipping, especially for the men who set up your loungers and shades. These folks are so accommodating and we saw several large groups ask for multiple chairs, shades, etc and then offer no tip. I think tipping for this service is appropriate and very appreciated. I felt really bad seeing the guys work so hard to position chairs to the sun, rearrange, move again...then not be tipped for their service by some cruisers. I also heard a few cruisers who felt really bad that they had not taken some cash along...just my thoughts.

My aunt is a little leery about going there as well. I just keep telling her that it's in its own area of the country, far from the poverty that is shown on TV. It looks absolutely beautiful, and I can't wait to go there. TWO MORE WEEKS.

I've cruised 5 times with Royal Caribbean and I must say...I always watch for an itinerary with Labadee. I love floating around in the water on a mat or just relaxing on the beach. Each time we go, it seems like they've added something new!! I would recommend the zip line. Here are a couple of pictures from 3/23/11.

015.jpg.055ffda072ab98f80382e9dc67e8421b.jpg

036.jpg.90326e01daf27781896549ebe2b14e0a.jpg

Labadee is a great place to visit.

It pumps a bunch of money into the local economy every time a ship docks at the new pier.

The Haitian workers at Labadee depend on the money they make there.

I agree, if anything it helps them progress:)

Visited Labadee several years ago and LOVED it... one of my favorite islands. But I can't remember if my purchased soda card works on the island the same as it does the ship. Anyone know?

Yes, they do.

You only need cash if you are buying things from the market.

Labadee is one of my favorite islands. It's so beautiful! There's also quite a bit of distance from Labadee and the location of the earthquake.

We have been to Labadee twice and loved it. The beaches are beautiful! You can use your ship pass for drinks, etc. Lunch is provided at no additional cost, but I would advise bringing some cash along for items you may want from the market and tipping, especially for the men who set up your loungers and shades. These folks are so accommodating and we saw several large groups ask for multiple chairs, shades, etc and then offer no tip. I think tipping for this service is appropriate and very appreciated. I felt really bad seeing the guys work so hard to position chairs to the sun, rearrange, move again...then not be tipped for their service by some cruisers. I also heard a few cruisers who felt really bad that they had not taken some cash along...just my thoughts.

I made that mistake the first time. I felt aweful. Definitely bring some cash for tipping. They work hard and deserve their tip.

Visited Labadee several years ago and LOVED it... one of my favorite islands. But I can't remember if my purchased soda card works on the island the same as it does the ship. Anyone know?

Yes it does and you can't use cash anywhere on Labadee except in the native market or to tip the people who set up lounge chairs for you. All drinks are charged to your seapass card and if it has a soda sticker on it you will not be charged for soft drinks.:)

If I had to choose between Labadee and Coco Cay, I would pick Labadee, it really is beautiful there. Below is a pic I took from the top of the zip line platform, you get a pretty good view of the area from up there.

Mike

5520876717_781d4038f5_b.jpg

Labadee is a beautiful place. It was a port of call on our first cruise 21 years ago, and we tend to favor the cruises that stop there. OP - have no worries about anything you are concerned about.

tip the people who set up lounge chairs for you.

Having said that, I would certainly tip anyone whom I asked or signalled to set up a lounge chair for me. But .. if I am setting up my own lounge chair and someone comes grabs it out of my hand despite my saying "No, thanks", they aren't going to give a penny out of me.

We were just in Labadee last week March 25th..This was our 3rd time there..It's a beautiful well maintained private beach..We were lucky to have reserved a private beach cabana at Barefoot Beach..Some of us did the zipline and some the jetboat/snorkle..This is usually the last port and what a way to end an amazing cruise to the eastern caribbean..:)

Labadee is a beautiful place. It was a port of call on our first cruise 21 years ago, and we tend to favor the cruises that stop there. OP - have no worries about anything you are concerned about.

Having said that, I would certainly tip anyone whom I asked or signalled to set up a lounge chair for me. But .. if I am setting up my own lounge chair and someone comes grabs it out of my hand despite my saying "No, thanks", they aren't going to give a penny out of me.

Where did that anger come from? :confused:

If I had to choose between Labadee and Coco Cay, I would pick Labadee, it really is beautiful there. Below is a pic I took from the top of the zip line platform, you get a pretty good view of the area from up there.

Mike

5520876717_781d4038f5_b.jpg

Does the zipline land in the water?

All I think about when Haiti comes to mind....a dustbowl and the images of the big earthquake. I feel horrible about going there, especially with the devastation of the land and people.

Is it really a place to relax and enjoy? I have no idea what excursions to take...can any tell me about Malfini Beach and some others? Are the beaches beautiful?

Thanks

Labadee is gorgeous!

We spent a few hours of our day at Malfini Beach. I highly recommend! So quiet and beautiful.

After Malfini, we went to eat at the RCI buffet. Lots of food! And then played around on the main beach, and then shopped.

The vendors are pretty desperate and follow you from shop to shop. Be prepared and all will go well!

I have a very nice wood bowl that I purchased there. For bread or fruit. LOVE it !

The Zip line was very popular at Labadee. In fact, it sold out! It is very long, and zips along the ocean coastline!

We were just in Labadee last week March 25th..This was our 3rd time there..It's a beautiful well maintained private beach..We were lucky to have reserved a private beach cabana at Barefoot Beach..Some of us did the zipline and some the jetboat/snorkle..This is usually the last port and what a way to end an amazing cruise to the eastern caribbean..:)

How did you reserve the beach cabana?

Archived