long layover en route

Ms Understood

I am flying LAX to CPT via FRA and JNB with a 12 hr layover in Frankfurt. So, do I go thru customs/immigration in Frankfurt if I want to leave the airport during the layover, back through the process when I return for my flight, through again at Jo'burg? Any suggestions for making some use of my time? I am flying Biz class, are the Lufthansa lounges really bad at FRA?

Is your layover over night? Or, in the common US-Europe flight scenerio, you arrive in the morning and don't have a flight until later evening?

No, the lounges aren't really bad. Just not somewhere I would want to spend 12 hours. I can't think of anywhere in any airport I would want to spend 12 hours.

There is a Hilton in the airport. Want to get 8 hours sleep?

Can't answer regarding your luggage. You will need to go thru passport check, no matter what your layover status. If you checkin to the Hilton, you may want your suitcase.

The biz lounges at FRA are fine for killing a few hours. At least some of them have showers and nap rooms (Lounge B, departure area terminal 1 for example).

Frankfurt has some excellent museums (the main ones are clustered an easy u-bahn ride away), but I prefer Mainz (also an easy ride away). Both cities offer plenty to do if you want to fill up some hours.

I booked a day room at the Sheraton but I will be coming off an overnight flight arriving at 10 am and departing at 10 pm for another overnight flight. My husband can sleep for 36 hours but I would lose my mind. Dont need the suitcase. It seems like a pretty boring airport. Maybe I will leave DH at the Sheraton and try to get to Mainz. Thanks for the input!

------------------

Helen

I booked a day room at the Sheraton but I will be coming off an overnight flight arriving at 10 am and departing at 10 pm for another overnight flight. My husband can sleep for 36 hours but I would lose my mind. Dont need the suitcase. It seems like a pretty boring airport. Maybe I will leave DH at the Sheraton and try to get to Mainz. Thanks for the input!

------------------

Helen

I had a day to kill at FRA a couple of years ago; I got a car and (among other places) visited Bad Camberg, around 30 min. from the airport. It's a very attractive medieval village with some excellent half-timbered buildings, convenient from the A3 autobahn.

For example:

530%20008asm.jpg

Or

http://gardyloo.us/530%20005asm.jpg

http://gardyloo.us/530%20009asm.jpg

Archived