Understanding Price Drops

Hello,

I know many of you are very experienced in this matter and was just hoping for some clarification. My previous experience is with Princess and I just want to make sure my understanding is correct. So, if a cabin price drops right before a cruise (lets say a week before) can someone who has already paid upgrade if they paid more for their cabin? For example, if someone paid $600 for an inside and a week before the cruise the inside price is dropped to $450 and the window price is now $600...can that person expect a window cabin if they call and ask? Likewise, do they have the option to pay the difference between the price they paid and the new price for the next highest category.

Thank you

For example, if someone paid $600 for an inside and a week before the cruise the inside price is dropped to $450 and the window price is now $600...can that person expect a window cabin if they call and ask? Likewise, do they have the option to pay the difference between the price they paid and the new price for the next highest category.

Thank you

Yes and yes :) That is of course, if there is availability in the categories you want to upgrade to.

For example, I booked a handicap acessible inside cabin on Radiance for 429.00 per person about 9 months out from sail date. A month from sail date the price dropped to 429.00 for an oceanview and I was able to "upgrade" for 0.00 to the oceanview cabin.

Luckily, a month out, Special Needs still had handicap accessible oceanview cabins available and i was able to take advantage of that. When I first called, I knew there would be about zero chance i could get another HA cabin that close to sail date but was pleasantly surprised :)

Yes and yes :) That is of course, if there is availability in the categories you want to upgrade to.

For example, I booked a handicap acessible inside cabin on Radiance for 429.00 per person about 9 months out from sail date. A month from sail date the price dropped to 429.00 for an oceanview and I was able to "upgrade" for 0.00 to the oceanview cabin.

Luckily, a month out, Special Needs still had handicap accessible oceanview cabins available and i was able to take advantage of that. When I first called, I knew there would be about zero chance i could get another HA cabin that close to sail date but was pleasantly surprised :)

What if you booked though a travel agent or website, like Cr**$es.com? I just noticed an $80/person price drop on my cruise for next week and they told me that once I paid, they couldnt do anything for me :mad:

What if you booked though a travel agent or website, like Cr**$es.com? I just noticed an $80/person price drop on my cruise for next week and they told me that once I paid, they couldnt do anything for me :mad:

They can't give you money back or OBC but you can upgrade to a higher category

It also depends on whether the new lower price is for "new bookings only" and then they may not be willing to even let you upgrade. There are often restrictions on late price drops so that those that booked and paid cannot do the upgrade. Many will report that they get it all the time, some will say once in a while, others never.

As for the TA, if the price was for a category higher than yours and you wanted to upgrade and it was not for "new bookings only" a good TA should be able to contact Royal and see what they can do. If it was for OBC or new bookings, they very well might not be able to. Especially OBC....unless you booked prior to May 17, 2010, after final payment there will be no OBC for price drops.

There are often restrictions on late price drops so that those that booked and paid cannot do the upgrade. Many will report that they get it all the time, some will say once in a while, others never.

I was just assuming the OP knew that if it said new bookings only such as a Tuesday Sale, they are not eligible for the upgrade.

Other than a Tuesday sale or other Sale for new bookings only, what restrictions do they have that would not allow the OP to upgrade?

I have never read anything on here where anyone has had trouble upgrading after final payment if there is a price drop on certain categories as long as it wasnt for new bookings only :confused:

Archived