HAL cruisers - Know Milford Sound

Hi all,

We are sailing on the Zaandam and our itinerary indicates we'll be in Milford Sound from 7am until 8am the next day. That should mean we'll be docked or at least tender in. But one of the tour operators I contacted said the cruise ships can't dock at Milford Sound.

So has anybody been there who can tell me the lay of the land? I'd appreciate it.

Sue

Hello Sue, :)

No, you will not be docking, just a misprint.

You are in Milford for about an hour, you sail slowly in and then the ship turns around and comes straight back out. It is wonderful, we have done it many times and it never disappoints. Hope the sun is shining as it is especially lovely on a clear day.

Hope you have a wonderful trip.

The NZ fiords , is a day of scenic cruising.

You will visit 3 fiords or sounds throughout the day , heading back out to sea and down the coastline in between visiting each one.

Milford is no exit so you sail in, turn around and head back out. The other 2 Doubtful and Dusky are sail throughs.

There is usually a ranger from the National Park on board and he will give a commentary as you sail through.

Whenwe were there on the Diamond,the morning was so beautiful and calm we could clearly here the birds, particularly the Tuis in the trees. Thats how close you are the the magnificant cliff faces.

Hi all,

We are sailing on the Zaandam and our itinerary indicates we'll be in Milford Sound from 7am until 8am the next day. That should mean we'll be docked or at least tender in. But one of the tour operators I contacted said the cruise ships can't dock at Milford Sound.

So has anybody been there who can tell me the lay of the land? I'd appreciate it.

Sue

The ship will stop long enough to tender on or off ( depending on your voyage) a group of overnight shore excursioners to/from Queenstown. (the other side of the trip is Dunedin) but these are the only folk who get on or off at Milford.

Archived