Jetsgo goes belly-up

Johanna7

This morning on the 6 a.m. news we heard that Jetsgo, a discount airline which is an offshoot of Air Canada went bankrupt. All flights stopped after midnight this morning.

It had great prices to various places in Florida, California, Las Vegas, etc. I hope none of the passengers on cruises are affected but I suspect they may be as prices were about half of the HAL air add-on.

They didn't serve meals unless you paid for them. Beverages (non alcoholic) were free as were the pretzels.

It will be difficult to find alternatives, especially now with March break. Many people now have been advised to find flights out of Buffalo as an alternative.

Good luck to anyone who may have been affected.

I guess Westjet is offering discounts to stranded passengers and crew.

I have concerns booking the lowest possible airfare; I always worry about the company going belly-up. For the peice-of-mind, I don't paying a bit more.

A note of correction to what Johanna7 has written. Air Canada has no connection with Jetsgo, it was started and largely owned by a Michel LeBlanc, a Montreal entrepreneur who was also involved with a couple of other airlines that went belly up, nontably Royal Airlines.

From what I hear, other than limited discounts from Westjet, no Canadian airlines are honouring Jetsgo tickets or offering any discount to Jetsgo customers left in the lurch. Essnetially unless you have private insurance, you are out-of-pocket for whatever you paid!

Two days ago I booked a ticket with Jetsgo for a quick weekend trip during the Labour Day weekend and will probably be out of $200. That's the chance you take when you book with discount airlines. When I go on a cruise, I always book with Air Canada or their U.S. partner (United) even though it costs more. What a bunch of scums to cease operating on the eve of March break. All those poor kids who have been looking forward to going to visit Grandma or their trip to Disneyland. Could they not have waited until March break was over to cease operations. Apparently, they are filing for bankruptcy protection and may be back in the air eventually, but who knows. What really peeves me off is that they had a big ad running in the Toronto newspaper saying that they had just extended their seat sale. They must have known they were ceasing operations.

What a bunch of scums to cease operating on the eve of March break. All those poor kids who have been looking forward to going to visit Grandma or their trip to Disneyland. Could they not have waited until March break was over to cease operations. Apparently, they are filing for bankruptcy protection and may be back in the air eventually, but who knows. What really peeves me off is that they had a big ad running in the Toronto newspaper saying that they had just extended their seat sale. They must have known they were ceasing operations.

My thoughts as well. I have heard that they pulled their computers and planes out of the Halifax airport in the middle of the night. Couldn't they have informed their passengers before they showed up at the airport? Even if they come back, I certainly won't be flying with them.

I have in the past flown with JetsGo and would always go with another carrier unless there was a really significant price difference.

Just for information -

Both BC & Ont TA's have insurance against this type of problem so if a booking wa made thru TA's in either province the consumer will get their $$ back (but only what they paid not $$ to replace the ticket)

If you booked using a credit card call your credit card company they may be able to stop payment to JetsGo.

Yesterday I compared fares for Toronto - Vancouver return and the difference between JetsGo - West Jet & Air Canada was only $5 & $7.

Thanks for the up to date information -

This is the best place to keep up to date on all travel info.

Could they not have waited until March break was over to cease operations.
Not always possible. While any company in trouble might have every intention of staying the course while looking for a solution, once the money runs out and the creditors demand payment and no additional loans can be obtained, there is no other choice but to cease operation. It is too bad. But with most major legacy airlines in much the same predicament, it's easy to see how a small operator simply couldn't muster the resources to keep going. I happened to see a JetGo plane take off from McCarran Airport yesterday just after noon. May have been the last one to leave here.

Lambcom, you are correct. It is just that so many airlines now have the name 'west' in it somewhere and it is easy to get them mixed up. It was early in the morning.

Yes, a lot of people were left in the lurch. They are not only out the airfare but also the rental of hotels, motels and other places in Florida mainly for March break.

Many are starting to drive to Florida in order to save a few days of their vacations.

What a mess. The man also had Canada3000 go bankrupt as well. Still started another one just the same.

Joanna - what I heard on CBC New to-night was that LeBlanc sold Royal Airline to Canada 3000, which as we know went belly up.

Lamcomb do you know who owned/ran Canada 3000?

For our American friends - a lot of the problem regarding passengers not getting their money back stems from the fact that they booked their travel on JetsGo's on-line web site and thus they will never get their money back. Being a private airline, the Canadian Government will not come to their aide.

I feel sorry for everyone, especially the children looking forward to their school vacation visiting Disney World.

If you booked with a VISA apperently there is some kind of re-embursement available.

I took jetsgo back from Ft. Lauderdale at the end of Feb. Huge delays and poor customer service. I feel badly for the people who are stranded now.

My DH and I had a Jetsgo flight booked for May to connect to an Alaskan cruise. My mother had gone with Jetsgo before and was happy with the value.

The latest news that I heard yesterday was that Visa will be reimbursing costs to customers (luckily I put this on my Visa card) if their flight is cancelled. I have not see the news today so the last I heard, Jetsgo was in court trying to avoid bankruptcy. It seems everyone is waiting to see what will happen - there is still a chance that my flight will go (if I book on another airline I might end up with two tickets!!).

I feel bad for the March break travellers but imagine how the employees feel?? I was feeling sorry for myself yesterday morning until I realized that at least I still have my job...

In reply to some of the questions raised on this thread. It's my understanding that when Royal was merged into Canada 3000, Michel LeBlanc was still the largest single shareholder. As noted above, it also went into bankruptcy.

Quebec residents who bought Jetsgo tickets through travel agents are protected by a special fund, as is the case for customers in BC and Ontario. Just don't expect a cheque in the mail next week.

As for hanging onto your tickets in hope that Jetsgo will re-emerge -- don't hold your breath. An airline that hopes to continue operating doesn't take down all of its signs at airports, remove the check-in computers, and close down their web site. One of Jetsgo's major problems was the age of its fleet. Their planes are the cast-offs from major airlines, who upgraded to aircraft that are much more fuel efficient. And fuel costs are a major issue for all airlines. As well, the older your fleet, the greater the chance for breakdowns resulting in delays and the higher risk of accidents.

I fear the only place Jetsgo tickets and boarding passes will have any value is maybe as memorabelia. Maybe a year or two from now you can turn a buck on them on E-Bay...

Archived