Venice post cruise - 2 nights in town, 1 by airport?

Hoyaheel

We arrive in Venice by cruise ship (:D) on Sept 16 2011. We depart from VCE 07:00 Monday Sept 19, 2011. I am struggling to figure out our hotel arrangements - truly there are too many choices. My biggest concern right now is the earliest ATVO bus from Piazzale Roma leaves at 5:00am, so we are thinking we'll spend 2 nights & 3 days in Venice, then take the train out to the Crowne Plaza Quarto D'Altino for Sunday night and get their shuttle to the airport first thing in the morning. We'd like to stay within walking/lugging luggage distance of Piazzale Roma - if so, we should also be within walking/lugging distance of Santa Lucia train station, right?

So - Friday - walk bags to nice hotel near Piazzale Roma. Roam Venice for next 3 days. Check out of hotel Sunday, leave bags, late in the day walk to train station, transit to Crowne Plaza, spend the night (at 1/3 the price of Venice;)) then leave for airport first thing Monday morning.

Does this seem doable? Is there a better option I'm overlooking? I'm trying to balance between frugal and being able to actually enjoy the experience:p We won't be splurging on a private water taxi to the hotel, for instance, but we definitely want to stay in Venice for 2 nights....

We had a similar early flight out of VCE a few years ago. We elected to stay our 2 evenings at the Crowne Plaza Quarto D'Altino. The hotel provided complimentary train tickets and the station is essentially on the premises. We were at the Venice station and the Grand Canal in about 20-25 minutes and the trains run about every 30 minutes until late evening (on time too). It seemed like the best option for us. Would do that again when we get back. --Don

Yes- I like your plan for the most part

From the ship there is a "People Mover" that will take you to Piazzle Roma. The hotel that I would recommend is Ca Doge right where you get off the people mover.

Now, you are smart to get to the airport early. Sometimes the lines to the check in are long. Its a small airport. Sometimes, its no problem. But plan on getting there by 5AM for a 7AM flight.

Personally I'd stay at a hotel right at the airport or one that offers a free shuttle from the airport. If you do this... then all you have to do is take the bus from Piazzle Rome to the airport- very easy to do for 3 Euros a person and then the shuttle to the hotel. The train station bridge is new but as someone pointed out there are still steps and this is hard with luggage. I looked up the Crown and it doesn't appear to be close to the airport, which means a taxi ride anyway unless they offer a shuttle.

Check out the Annia Park Hotel. It looks like it is $ 178 per night but remember, you would not need train tickets and a taxi so your total travel expense would be the 3 Euro per person bus ride to the airport and then a five minute courtesy shuttle to the hotel. I want to add that taxi drivers will take advantage. The bus there is no tipping allowed. The buses are clean and the luggage is stowed for you under the bus by the driver. Its a bargain.

Yes- I like your plan for the most part

From the ship there is a "People Mover" that will take you to Piazzle Roma. The hotel that I would recommend is Ca Doge right where you get off the people mover.

Now, you are smart to get to the airport early. Sometimes the lines to the check in are long. Its a small airport. Sometimes, its no problem. But plan on getting there by 5AM for a 7AM flight.

Personally I'd stay at a hotel right at the airport or one that offers a free shuttle from the airport. If you do this... then all you have to do is take the bus from Piazzle Rome to the airport- very easy to do for 3 Euros a person and then the shuttle to the hotel. The train station bridge is new but as someone pointed out there are still steps and this is hard with luggage. I looked up the Crown and it doesn't appear to be close to the airport, which means a taxi ride anyway unless they offer a shuttle.

Check out the Annia Park Hotel. It looks like it is $ 178 per night but remember, you would not need train tickets and a taxi so your total travel expense would be the 3 Euro per person bus ride to the airport and then a five minute courtesy shuttle to the hotel. I want to add that taxi drivers will take advantage. The bus there is no tipping allowed. The buses are clean and the luggage is stowed for you under the bus by the driver. Its a bargain.

Good plan, but rebeccalouiseagain makes a good point about staying close to airport and you can use the bus to the airport.

Also, note that going from Piazzle Roma to the train station requires going over a large bridge that has steps (no ramps for bags). I carried two large bags over the bridge, but it was a task.

The Crowne Plaza has a free shuttle to the airport - that's why it's on my list:p. None of the other hotels by the airport seemed easy to get to on Sunday night. The Crowne Plaza is 12 KM from the airport - but as stated, the train station is across the street.

I looked at the train station bridge. We'll consider. We managed bridges & luggage in Amsterdam but because of the bicycles, most of those bridges have ramps.

I suppose taking the ATVO bus on Sunday night to the airport and then getting a shuttle to a hotel is another option I should consider. Thanks!

You need to find a solution that you are comfortable with. We took the first ATVO bus of the morning and when we got to the airport the check-in counters weren't even open yet, so I wonder about the value of getting there any earlier. However, that is only one point of data ... it could have been an unusual morning.

Also, before you count on that free shuttle, verify with the hotel that it runs as early as you need it to. Sometimes you discover that it's free between 7 AM - 5 PM, which won't do you any good.

verify with the hotel that it runs as early as you need it to. Sometimes you discover that it's free between 7 AM - 5 PM, which won't do you any good.

Email has already been sent to the manager, requesting shuttle times ;)

My plan B is a taxi - we'll already be closer to the airport......

I guess there is no way you could take a later flight- huh?

Nope, not now ;-)

I think I'm comfortable now booking Antiche Figure & Crowne Plaza - as soon as I hear back about the shuttle. I'm not booking anything non-refundable so if I change my mind before then, I can make other arrangements.

I looked at the bridge to the train station on Google Earth - yes, there are a lot of stairs. I'm sure we'll manage fine, though. Won't be the first time Thanks for all your help!

I stayed at the Antiche Figure and it is a very nice hotel. They have free internet in the lobby. The trick to getting there is when you are in Piazzle Roma don't take the new pedestrian bridge.

As you enter Piazzle Roma from the port or the people mover- look due east and you will see a small bridge over a canal. Cross this bridge and then turn left and go around the corner. This is the best way to the hotel. Otherwise you'll make the mistake of going over the very tall bridge. Do the same thing when you go to the train station... go over the small bridge to Piazzle Roma and then take the pedestrian bridge.

You'll love Venice. It just hauling the luggage that is a pain.

Archived