How strict is Carnival on Cancellations?

Atty

I would like to book for this July on a 7night Mexican Riviera but may have something pop up on short notice that I cannot avoid (I'm an attorney and may end up in trial).

I know Carnival's cancellation policy for the time period I'd be most likely to have to cancel is like 50% of the fare or the deposit whichever is greater.

My question is how strict are they on this and is there any way for me to avoid a penalty if I'm forced to cancel? My best guess is that if I had to cancel, it would be between 30 and 60 days before sailing.

Thanks for the help.

I'd suggest you buy trip insurance that lets you cancel for any reason. Whatever the insurance premium is, it'd be way less than the 50% penalty the cruise line would assess. Check out insuremytrip dot com.

I'd suggest you buy trip insurance that lets you cancel for any reason. Whatever the insurance premium is, it'd be way less than the 50% penalty the cruise line would assess. Check out insuremytrip dot com.

Yep....this is the way to go. Without trip insurance Carnival probably won't do a thing for you.......they do after all have a business to run. Get trip insurance!!

I would like to book for this July on a 7night Mexican Riviera but may have something pop up on short notice that I cannot avoid (I'm an attorney and may end up in trial).

I know Carnival's cancellation policy for the time period I'd be most likely to have to cancel is like 50% of the fare or the deposit whichever is greater.

My question is how strict are they on this and is there any way for me to avoid a penalty if I'm forced to cancel? My best guess is that if I had to cancel, it would be between 30 and 60 days before sailing.

Thanks for the help.

As an attorney you should know the answer to this, of course they are very strict, but your solution is to buy cancel for any reason insurance. Sure it costs a little more but then you don't have any worries.

some insurances have a cancel for work reasons clause either free of charge or an extra fee. It usually is not as much as a cancel for any reason clause. I noticed it when looking at insurance through insuremytrip...

ditto, i noticed this too!

I was just thinking, the OP's problem would be solved if the Justice System would hold trials on cruise ships.

Sure would be a lot fewer people trying to get out of Jury Duty!

But a lot more getting into trouble to get the free cruise!!! Of course, to counter, the automatic punishment for loosing the case could be being thrown overboard?!?!?

No reason to pay extra for "cancel for any reason insurance"........we purchase travelguard and it includes cancel due to work........

But I would just wait until 30 days out to purchase the trip.......

I thought about waiting but there is the left coast special right now that gives me like $400 off the stateroom which makes me not want to wait :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question....

We (DH and I) have booked the Dream in late Aug and had every intention of going but we have just found that my oldest stepson will be deployed at the tail end of our cruise. Our cancellation fee says its $500 and the trip insurance (which we can still add) costs $400+. What we want to do is change the dates of our cruise or book a shorter cruise. Will Carnival charge us the full $500 if we try to change the cruise? I read on another thread that while the cancellation fee may state one amount the that Carnival would only take $50 for a non-refundable penalty while putting the rest in a credit that could be used for a future cruise with them.

Can someone advise?

I have a question....

We (DH and I) have booked the Dream in late Aug and had every intention of going but we have just found that my oldest stepson will be deployed at the tail end of our cruise. Our cancellation fee says its $500 and the trip insurance (which we can still add) costs $400+. What we want to do is change the dates of our cruise or book a shorter cruise. Will Carnival charge us the full $500 if we try to change the cruise? I read on another thread that while the cancellation fee may state one amount the that Carnival would only take $50 for a non-refundable penalty while putting the rest in a credit that could be used for a future cruise with them.

Can someone advise?

Sounds like you are before final payment date, so assuming you are booked ES (from what you said), then Carnival does charge $50 pp and hold the rest of your deposit for 2 years as a future credit.

So insurance only covers your $50 pp fee.

Cancellation penalties kick in after final payment date, which I dont think you have hit yet? Once past final payment then Im not so sure you can buy insurance.. and normal canc penalties kick in and yes you lose the whole deposit and on down depending on when you cancel

I have a question....

Can someone advise?

*´¨)

¸.· ¸.·*´¨ .*) ¸.·*¨)

(¸.·´ (¸.·'*Linds*

These are your verandah rights. You have the right to sit on your verandah. Any chair on the verandah may be used for seating. You have the right to a tasty beverage. If you do not choose a beverage, one will be chosen for you.

Perhaps OP, being an attornery and all, can pull his "verandah rights" as shown in your signature. Sorry - couldn't resist. I love your sig. by the way.

Archived