carnival or royal caribbean

momx8

We are planning our alaskan cruise for july 2012 and want to sail round trip from seattle. which would be better? the carnival spirit or royal caribbean rhapsody of the seas.

I have no experience with RCI, but will be sailing the Spirit for the fourth time in June. The Spirit has a great naturalist on board who, for me, definitely enhances the cruise experience. I would rather do a northbound or southbound itinerary, but this time we needed the round trip due to less available vacation time.

Have a wonderful cruise!

I would go with the Carnival Spirit; however, you can probably tell by my signature that's my cruise line of choice. I have been on the Spirit before and love the ship, in addition to the fact that I like Carnival. I cruised with RC once, and it was not a very good experience. I realize that was only a one time experience; however, it was enough to make me return to Carnival.

If I can ask, what led you to only these two selections??

Many people go to Alaska for Alaska. :) Of which there are better itineraries.

Princess and HAL can also have superb naturalists.

In my opinion, HAL is a step above, with Sitka.

Don't get caught up in the demographics that may also be the consideration?? Totally different in Alaska with them being the SAME on all ships including Carnival. Bulk of passengers are middle aged and above with all ages sailing.

Between those two options I would go with the Carnival Spirit - especially if you are looking for a balcony cabin. Spirit has far more balconies which will make them less expensive than on the Rhapsody.

The only real reason to do the Rhapsody sailing in my opinion is if you are really interested in spending a full day in Victoria. The downside of the full day in Victoria is that you get one less Alaska port than virtually all other Alaska itineraries out there.

The Spirit's itinerary isn't bad - fairly comparable to any other lines round trip Seattle itineraries to Tracy Arm. If you liked Carnival and were fine with Tracy Arm instead of Glacier Bay or Hubbard this wouldn't be a bad choice. Spirit has a mid-week departure though which might not be so convenient.

For July 2012 out of Seattle I would look at the HAL Westerdam sailings.

I have no experience with RCI, but will be sailing the Spirit for the fourth time in June. The Spirit has a great naturalist on board who, for me, definitely enhances the cruise experience. I would rather do a northbound or southbound itinerary, but this time we needed the round trip due to less available vacation time.

Have a wonderful cruise!

MidiMarv~ Hi, I see you are from Portland, so am I. Like the OP we chose a round trip from Seattle as well based on our limited time, we needed the first week of August and only the first week of August so we booked Carnival's Spirit. Also, being from Portland we can just drive up to Seattle. I was wondering if you could clue me in on long term parking. I'm just starting my planning process...Not sure about parking, no plans for excursions. Looks like a have some homework to do! :)

Thanks! Mindy

Archived