NCL Jewel, help with room puzzle

D&W

Hello my fellow cruisers!

My DH, DS (3), and DS (1) and I have booked a nice trip in Sept. We are in a debate about room choice. This is a 7night, 3 port cruise so we would be at sea for a decent amount of time.

So currently we have 2 Ocean-view Staterooms booked (adjoining) but for about the same price we can get a mini suite w/balcony.

For the cruisers who's been on the Jewel, we would appreciate any feed back about room sizing.

Our one year old would obviously be in a playpen.

Which room would be a better experience for our family of 4?

For the same money, which room choice would you make?

Thanks for taking the time out to read this!

have a great day

D&W

Leaning towards the two rooms. You do give up the balcony though.

The mini suite is only slight larger than balcony room. Trying to find room for a playpen, and sleeping for other child is a real challenge. Having the next door room so you can hang out is good. Still, a bummer not having a balcony.

That is a hard one. Might try a search on PLAYPEN or CRIB to see some other discussions.

My DH, DS (3), and DS (1) and I have booked a nice trip in Sept. We are in a debate about room choice. This is a 7night, 3 port cruise so we would be at sea for a decent amount of time.

So currently we have 2 Ocean-view Staterooms booked (adjoining) but for about the same price we can get a mini suite w/balcony.

For the cruisers who's been on the Jewel, we would appreciate any feed back about room sizing.

have a great day

D&W

With the children being that young I would probably choose the mini-suite. The size is only about 80 sq feet bigger but having the balcony to enjoy while the children take naps, or early bed time would be a joy.

I personaly would go with the mini suite. With it you get the bathtub to make bathing much easier with the little ones. The 3 year old could sleep on the sofa without it being pulled out so the playpen would fit. You would be able to close the curtain in the room to make it seperate. And you get the use of a balcony which can act as another small room with a great view!:)

have a great day

D&W

I would do the two rooms. I just took a 2 year old and a 1 year old on the Jewel and we had the two bedroom family suite. We could not have done it in one room. If we book again and that suite is not available, we'd have to get two rooms. When the kids are napping or sleeping, you'd have to be super quite and just sit there with them. The crib they give you is LARGE. It will take up a substantial area of the room and probably block the access to the dec anyway. If you get two rooms, even though you won't have a balcony, you'd be able to put the kids to sleep in one room and go in the other and order room service, relax, watch tv, look out the window :), or get clothes ready, etc. I think you will benefit from the two rooms sooooo much more than the balcony. You will have so many opportunities to be out on the main decks. Whatever you decide, I hope you have a wonderful cruise with your family! My two LOVED it. :)

wow thanks for the awesome feedback, the same pros and cons were on our list.

separate room has the biggest pro, no need to be quiet.

suite/balcony is so scenic and all beauty of leaving and dock the port

we are just so torn :P

As someone who has used an ncl crib in a regular balcony room, I just want to jump in and say that even with the crib set up, you DEFINITELY would still have access to your balcony and the couch. The poster who said otherwise was guessing, I think. We loved having the balcony to sit out on once our little one was asleep. I don't have it in front of me right now, but check my posting history or the family cruising threads to see a link I posted in the last month or two showing the kind of crib provided. It actually takes up a narrower footprint than the pack n play would (narrow rectangle compared to squat rectangle). I agree that with older kids, the two rooms would be the better choice, but I think the rule of thumb suggested above, that if they are under 6 (and with the consequent earlier bedtimes and naps) having the balcony is more valuable, makes sense.

Have a great time traveling together, whatever your choice may be!

Jenn

I would do the two rooms. I just took a 2 year old and a 1 year old on the Jewel and we had the two bedroom family suite. We could not have done it in one room. If we book again and that suite is not available, we'd have to get two rooms. When the kids are napping or sleeping, you'd have to be super quite and just sit there with them. The crib they give you is LARGE. It will take up a substantial area of the room and probably block the access to the dec anyway. If you get two rooms, even though you won't have a balcony, you'd be able to put the kids to sleep in one room and go in the other and order room service, relax, watch tv, look out the window :), or get clothes ready, etc. I think you will benefit from the two rooms sooooo much more than the balcony. You will have so many opportunities to be out on the main decks. Whatever you decide, I hope you have a wonderful cruise with your family! My two LOVED it. :)

Another benefit of two adjoining rooms, is two bathrooms. You can bring a small inflatable pool to bath the kids, if they don't want the shower.

• 3 weeks later...

hey all,

there is now a new twist with the new NCL promo.

2 ocean-view rooms = 2900 sept 3rd

1 mini-suite = 2450 sept 10

the sailings are a week apart, is it worth it to save the money and get mini suite?

i just want to make sure my family will have ample room and be comfortable

also anyone have any first hand experience with Hurricanes in the begingin of Sept? like is the 3rd much better than the 10th?

maybe the 10th sailing will have less kids??

thanks for any input, opinions and suggestions we truly appreciate it

-D&W

hey all,

there is now a new twist with the new NCL promo.

2 ocean-view rooms = 2900 sept 3rd

1 mini-suite = 2450 sept 10

the sailings are a week apart, is it worth it to save the money and get mini suite?

i just want to make sure my family will have ample room and be comfortable

also anyone have any first hand experience with Hurricanes in the begingin of Sept? like is the 3rd much better than the 10th?

maybe the 10th sailing will have less kids?

thanks for any input, opinions and suggestions we truly appreciate it

-D&W

Can only help with the hurricane question. Last two years we had hurricanes in late August, so the dates won't really matter - all in the heart of hurricane season.

Robin

Archived