Will I be happy with my pictures?

phinn

I have a Kodak 12 megapixel, 5X optical zoom camera that I am taking with us to Alaska. I don't have money to go out and purchase a new camera for this trip. Am I being foolish to believe that I will have some great pictures? I realize I won't have all those great close ups that folks with the more expensive cameras will get, but will I be seriously disappointed? I've always been satisfied with pics in the caribbean, but this is a horse of a different color. Any tips to help with sharp looking pictures? I would appreciate any feedback.

I have a Kodak 12 megapixel, 5X optical zoom camera that I am taking with us to Alaska. I don't have money to go out and purchase a new camera for this trip. Am I being foolish to believe that I will have some great pictures? I realize I won't have all those great close ups that folks with the more expensive cameras will get, but will I be seriously disappointed? I've always been satisfied with pics in the caribbean, but this is a horse of a different color. Any tips to help with sharp looking pictures? I would appreciate any feedback.

You will be fine. There is a tendency to think that, with cameras, more is always better, but your 5X optical zoom should help get you some good wildlife shots. Enjoy your trip!

I think the key might be to be careful when you're taking pix. A pix that's well framed... making sure you're as steady as possible...... things like those can make ANY camera take the million dollar pix! Also make sure you always have spare charged batteries so you don't miss any pix you want!

I think the key might be to be careful when you're taking pix. A pix that's well framed... making sure you're as steady as possible...... things like those can make ANY camera take the million dollar pix!

I agree...it's far more about the photographer than it is the camera. :p

For scenics and candid moments on the boat Alaska is no different than other destinations. Know your camera well and practice helps a lot.

IF you are expecting to get the iconic wildlife ( Bear, Whale, Eagle ) those are very hard even for those with really good cameras and the person behind the viewfinder is more important that the camera infront of them. Good equipment helps but the photographer makes or breaks it with any equipment.

Don't worry so much about the shots, make sure you take the time to enjoy the spectacular views.

Don't worry camera will be fine. A great website to read about photography and why the camera doesn't matter is ken Rockwell kenrockwell.com. He has some great articles like "why your camera does not matter" and "what makes a great photo "

The nice thing about a digital camera.....you can go out at practice. There is a thread where someone posted his "practice photos". Find a place that is scenic.....like Alaska.....with tree......and instaed of thaking potos of eagle....take photos of squirrels.....;)

Post them on your computer to see how you are doing. I think the one thing that causes unsatisfactory photos..........is not holding the camera steady. Practice pushing the shutter release with out moving the camera.

The nice thing about a digital camera.....you can go out at practice. There is a thread where someone posted his "practice photos". Find a place that is scenic.....like Alaska.....with trees......and instead of taking photos of eagles....take photos of squirrels.....;)

Post them on your computer to see how you are doing. I think the one thing that causes unsatisfactory photos..........is not holding the camera steady. Practice pushing the shutter release with out moving the camera.

....well spell check....where were you...:D

Don't worry camera will be fine. A great website to read about photography and why the camera doesn't matter is ken Rockwell kenrockwell.com. He has some great articles like "why your camera does not matter" and "what makes a great photo "

I agree with the responses given....practice, get to know your camera and how to make it perform at it's best. Like you, I really want my images of Alaska to be special. I have decided to work with what I have. I will be practicing my technique and studying my manuals/photography books and looking at other's images for inspiration.

Have a great trip and enjoy the experience. :D

To reduce camera shake, push the shutter button gently, and hold the button down until the picture has been completely taken (hold it through any shutter delay, etc.). Release it only when the picture is finished. This will reduce some of the shake.

Your camera isn't going to take a great shot of a Dall sheep at the top of a peak a thousand or so feet away, but then such shots are pretty difficult with a good telephoto lens. On the other hand, your having 12 mega pixels will help a little on shots that are a bit further away than you would prefer. People keep buying cameras with more and more mega pixels, but if your shots are closeups, there is no real need. On the other hand, if you are taking a scenery shot, and you want to be able to make out some detail at a distance, having more pixels in a given spot makes the small area more clear. THAT is the advantage of having more pixels!

For shots of glaciers from a distance you are going to be fine. If you go to Denali, you will be close enough to bears, moose and possibly caribou to be in excellent shape. As I said, you (along with everyone else on the bus) will not get good shots of the Dall sheep, but you can take a picture of the bus' video screen as they use a high-power lens. My DW uses a Nikon Coolpix point and shoot with 10 megapixels, and she had some really excellent shots.

I will read up on my camera more and take your advise to try some pics out at home. I will be bringing extra batteries and sim cards as advised. Also checking out the kenrockwell site. Can't wait!

I have a 10 megapixel 4x telephoto CoolPix and I have gotten some very good photos. My camera has a vibration reduction feature which helps a lot. If you have it turn it on.

Since digital photos cost nothing to take, take a chance on views you like. With 12 megapixels you can crop your photos, if you have a photo program, and still have a very good picture. Unless you are printing 9x12 photos you can probably crop by 50% and still have a pretty good picture.

Take the picture and play with it later. I always take about 3 times the photos I really keep.

Personally, I think 5x optical zoom is not enough if you are going to Denali. We had one camera at 5x optical zoom and one with 12x optical zoom (Panasonic Lumix). Some of the animals in Denali were tiny specks to the naked eye and our 5x optical zoom could not capture them without being very blurry.

I think you will be more than fine. I had a 7.1 mp and 3 x zoom one when I went and I have some of the most amazing pictures I have ever seen. I look at one of them I took at the Mendenhall Glacier and cannot believe I am the person who took it. I found I rarely used my camera with the bigger zoom lens on it that I had bought for the trip.

I am hoping to be so lucky on my trip to Italy and Greece next month with my 14.1 mp camera w/ 7x zoom.

I think you will be more than fine. I had a 7.1 mp and 3 x zoom one when I went and I have some of the most amazing pictures I have ever seen. I look at one of them I took at the Mendenhall Glacier and cannot believe I am the person who took it. I found I rarely used my camera with the bigger zoom lens on it that I had bought for the trip.

I am hoping to be so lucky on my trip to Italy and Greece next month with my 14.1 mp camera w/ 7x zoom.

Here is the picture I took at the Glacier:

cwvDm9asA3Lw9atmAbl5etGTDg.jpg.c8f4ed8ea9bf209b38bf9c964de6500e.jpg

ROFL, I like Ken for his entertainment but he takes things a bit far. As long as you know when it is tongue in cheek and don't take it too seriously :D

If you think the camera doesn't matter than you have taken it too far ;)

Archived