Rhine Getaway on Viking Basel to Amsterdam

bigpaluka

• 3 months later...

Aitogirl - although we didn't do a Viking cruise, I would think the included excursions are similar. Our included tour was a canal tour starting around 8:30 and ending about 10:00 near the city centre. We then toured the Dom with a guide who explained some of the significant items within (stained glass windows, astronomical clock, etc.) approx 45 min to 1 hr. We then had some time outside on our own to explore (about an hour). We were then bussed back to the cruise ship for lunch.

Afterwards we did an optional tour - vineyard in Obernai. Nice but not particularly impressive.

Have a great time.

we did this trip from Amsterdam to Basel this past spring. Excellent cruise. Viking did a great job. We spent several hours in Strasbourg, & our CD (rene) had cabs available at $5 per head for those who did not want to walk back to the bus pick up point. We took advantage of this option. I don't think it is available on all Viking ships. We were not really allowed into the Cathedral, as it was Good Friday & Services were being held, however I had been there before. Food was excellent. We did take the optional tour to Colmar in Alsace & loved it. The kolsch tour (in Cologne)was overpriced, if you want to check out the Koln beers do it by yourself, the ship is docked within walking distance of many pubs.

Excited to go crusing,

We are booked on the Jun 3rd trip from Amsterdam next year. How was the weather on your trip in April, i.e. temperatures, rain, etc. Any other tips would be appreciated?

We did not encounter any rain on the cruise, the first rain we got was in Switzerland ( end of April. We toured Switzerland on our own, at the end of our cruise. I tend to travel in Spring, as it is cheaper, & I love the flowers & the blossoms. We saw plenty tulips before our cruise :D

ETA: weather is always a roll of the dice, anytime of year. No guarantees of better weather in the summer.

We have booked for May 6, 2012 on the Antoinette. Any suggestions on a convenient hotel in Amsterdam for the night prior to the cruise? Much appreciated.

When we boarded our ship, I saw a Movenpick hotel right at the docks. Not sure if your ship will leave from the same dock, but there were many ships at that dock. Not close to sighseeing, but I think the taxis were fairly cheap, any time we used them on our pre trip stay in Amsterdam. Or if you have the time, hire a rickshaw, great fun.

we were bussed into Colmar & parked a fair ways outside of town. It was a walking tour, so when we got to the city center, we took the mini train ride aroudn town, It was fairly cheap, I just couldn't keep up on the walk, with the tour guide. SO we opted out & got on the mini train , which drove around the old town, with headsets. It took only about 45 minutes, so we were back inthe town square, well before our walking group came back. That was nice, as it gave us a chance to look around the shops & have a drink at one of the Patio cafe.bars. It is a very old medieval town, & also in Alsace, which is why we chose it, on the optional tour list. Another couple who also opted out of the walking tour, went to the museum, & they said it was excellent. I did not hear any comments about a WW2 site, but that does not mean, they did not visit it.

Archived