Help me pick!

*BoSox*

We are trying to plan our Greece cruise for June 2012 and now I need help picking the best cruise line. We specifically want to see Santorini but otherwise the ports don't matter. We will have our 3 year old daughter with us. What do you think of these? Any good/bad advice you have?

Celebrity

Costa

Princess

Crystal

Holland America

Norwegian

Oceania

Seabourn

Regent

Silversea

I'm actually surprised to see that we have so many choices. TIA! ;)

We did our eastern med trip on NCL's Jade and really liked it...but then we really enjoy not having to dress up and not having a set meal time. On the eastern med trips that is a real blessing as it is such a port intensive trip. Also, at least when we went, NCL was significantly less expensive too. Of course some on these boards will say you pay for what you get which is certainly true, but IMHO, the service and food on NCL are sufficient for me.

BoSox, we're going on our 13th Princess cruise next month and have enjoyed all of them, including Grand Mediterranean a few years back which was a little different than the one mentioned below. It looks like the Princess cruise you may be interested in is the Crown Princess (sister ship to Emerald Princess) Venice-Rome on June 17th. Great itinerary but will tell you that it is very port intensive. You have an overnight in Venice at the beginning, it includes Mykonos and a long day in Santorini. Also, sail-away from Venice is awesome. Crown Princess is a great ship with lots of dining choices, MUTS (Movies Under the Stars), and we’ve always been treated nicely on board. There are usually LGBT get-togethers in the evenings as well. If you are interested, we did a video of pictures from our Mediterranean cruise that included some of the same ports as the June 17th Crown Princess Cruise itinerary listed below:

http://smengelt.shutterfly.com/308

Hope this helps and alll the best to you and your family.

1 Venice, Italy

2 Venice, Italy

1:00 PM

3 Dubrovnik, Croatia

9:00 AM

6:00 PM

4 Corfu, Greece

8:00 AM

5 Katakolon (Olympia), Greece

7:00 AM

4:00 PM

6 Athens (Piraeus), Greece

6:00 AM

5:45 PM

7 Mykonos, Greece

1:00 AM

8 Kusadasi (Ephesus), Turkey

5:00 PM

9 Rhodes, Greece

5:00 PM

10 Santorini, Greece

11 At Sea

12 Naples/Capri, Italy

13 Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy

4:00 AM

Oh, if there is a line that either overnights or is at Santorni at sunset, I would probably pick that one. Santorni is absolutely beautiful and my only regret on our trip was that we were there for such a short time.

I went to Santorini about 9 years ago and fell in love. Such a beautiful place! That is definitely a good tip especially since I already love the place so much. Thanks!

BoSox, we're going on our 13th Princess cruise next month and have enjoyed all of them, including Grand Mediterranean a few years back which was a little different than the one mentioned below. It looks like the Princess cruise you may be interested in is the Crown Princess (sister ship to Emerald Princess) Venice-Rome on June 17th. Great itinerary but will tell you that it is very port intensive. You have an overnight in Venice at the beginning, it includes Mykonos and a long day in Santorini. Also, sail-away from Venice is awesome. Crown Princess is a great ship with lots of dining choices, MUTS (Movies Under the Stars), and we’ve always been treated nicely on board. There are usually LGBT get-togethers in the evenings as well. If you are interested, we did a video of pictures from our Mediterranean cruise that included some of the same ports as the June 17th Crown Princess Cruise itinerary listed below:

You're right, it would be the Crown Princess. What is that MUTS? Do you sit on the upper deck and watch movies? That sounds exciting! I loved your video, such great pictures and fun tunes...it made me wish our vacation was this June rather than next.

Thanks!

My reviews 1-10 scale

9 Celebrity-My personal favorite, its a great mix of elegance, and enjoy the new Solstice

class ships, they have the feel of a chic W hotel

6 Costa-Older fleet, sailed on them once, food was great though

8 Princess-Sailed on them twice, everything was done just right

6 Crystal-Found them terribly expensive for what you get, they used to be heads above everyone, but three friends of mine that just sailed on them said the extra cost didn't justify what you get

7 Holland America-Nice ships and food, a bit older demographic

7 Norwegian-Fun, nice, noy too impressed with their dining though

NA Oceania never tried

NA Seabourn never tried

NA Regent never tried

NA Silversea never tried

If budget permits Oceania does a great job in those smaller ports over there. Casual elegance, no formal nites. Remember seeing the ship chefs shopping in local markets.My favorite food at sea.

What is that MUTS? Do you sit on the upper deck and watch movies?

You sit either by the pool or on the upper decks. They run current movies, concerts, some times sporting events (for example we've seen NFL games in the Caribbean). If cool they have nice wool blankets and also serve popcorn at night. Don't know how old you are but reminds me of a drive-in movie but instead of sitting in your car, you are sitting around the pool in your bathing suit. Interestingly, even a pretty good picture on the screen when the sun is out. Attaching a picture I captured from a youtube video. They also have movies periodically in the theater and lots of channels available on in-cabin TV.

MUTS.jpg.718add28f3b53ac70a7a4fcafa1c6a3d.jpg

That's awesome! I'm 29 (as of Monday, blah!) and my wife is 30...we LOVE Drive-Ins so this is very cool. Unfortunately the last (and favorite) drive-in just got demolished and condos were built instead. :(

MUTS is Movies Under The Stars....

Many of the cruise lines are doing that now....It's a fun way to watch a flck...they'll hand out blankets, popcorn, etc....

Personally, I would do either HAL, Princess or NCL because we would rather spend more moneys in port while in Europe than on a ship that we won't be spending all that much time on...

Have fun!!

Archived