Falling off upper bunk...

AandBmom

Anyone out there ever fall of an upper bunk on carnival?

My 7 year old fell off in the middle of the night last week on the Sensation. I'm wondering if this is a common occurrence? The "safety bar" is a joke. I'm thinking of writing Carnival and suggesting they add a middle bar for safety.

No, but I am sure it happens. DD has been in the upper bunk on 13 cruises since age 4- has never fallen out. Hope your son wasn't hurt. Knowing the bars on the upper bunk, how did he manage to "squeeze" thru the opening? It is very small- unless he went around the bar where the ladder is? DD was a peanut (tiny for her age) and still couldn't fit thru. (we had to put her up there because her older sister had a seizure disorder, and we couldn't put her up there "just in case'")

My grandchildren (ages 3 to 14) have all slept on the top bunk and have never fallen off. They cruise 2 to 3 times a year and always have to sleep on the top and usually the biggest arguement is who is going to get to sleep on the top bunk. By the way they do not have bunk beds at home. So sorry to hear you son did fall off.

Mine have never fallen out of the bunk top or bottom. OUCH! My oldest are 7 and 9. They've been cruising since they were 3 and 5. Never had an issue with falling. Sorry that happened.

My daughter fell off when she was 8-ish on her the first night of her first cruise. We didn't have the safety rails on her 5 year old brother's bed, but not hers.

She had was getting up to go to the bathroom and forgot where she was... :o Luckily she didn't get hurt.

The seas were completely calm. He fell off right through the middle of the bunk, slipped right under the railing. The railing seemed really high up. He's average weight and slightly taller than average. I guess it's not very common to fall off. He wasn't hurt, he happend to be on the bunk above our bed and fell right on us. Thank goodness he wasn't on the other bunk that night or else he would've fallen half on the floor and half on the edge of our daughter's crib - ouch!

I hope he is ok!! I never thought of the possibility of them falling off. This is our first cruise and our 7yr old will be on the top bunk with the 3 year old on the bottom. She doesn't move too much at home during the night, but this is something I'll be sure to keep an eye out for. She is small for her age.

Jenn

So after reading all the comments about how it's difficult to fall out I decided to look at my pictures of the bunks. Unfortunately we didn't take any of the bunks this time but we did last year on the imagination and I realize that the railings were totally different on the imagination last year. On her they were silver metal and there was only a small space between the mattress and the railing. On the Sensation though, they were off white coloured (still metal I think) and the space was much bigger. I'd estimate that the gap from the mattress to the railing was about a foot high. Our kids have bunk beds at home but the railing has 2 bars across it and there's no room to fall out.

Was the rail like this one? It's the only photo I can find really fast of the upper bunk. Ignore the kid acting stupid :p

Nope, it was a much bigger gap b/w the mattress and the rail and the rail was an off white colour.

I just googled carnival upper and carnival bunk and looked at all the images and I found one that is sort of similar. I'll try to attach it here.

4196.jpg

Hopefully my attachment worked. But interestinly almost every picture I posted shows the silver coloured railing that has a much smaller gap so I guess the kind we had is far less common.

Wow! That is a huge gap! He must have been kind of rolled up in a ball for that not to stop him though. Did he slip through the rail, or upward of it? Poor kid! Glad you were there to "catch" him. I cannot even imagine falling that far in a dead sleep. I had the top bunk at basic training in the army. I think we even had rails. I can't remember, but I think we did. I sleep like the dead, so I totally would have been able to roll right onto the yucky floor.

Wow! That is a huge gap! He must have been kind of rolled up in a ball for that not to stop him though. Did he slip through the rail, or upward of it? Poor kid! Glad you were there to "catch" him. I cannot even imagine falling that far in a dead sleep. I had the top bunk at basic training in the army. I think we even had rails. I can't remember, but I think we did. I sleep like the dead, so I totally would have been able to roll right onto the yucky floor.

I think he was laying on his side with his bum near the railing and sort of fell through in the fetal position. He didn't even wake up. DH and I were sleeping and we woke up suddenly with our son between us and both said, "what the heck was that". It took a minute or two for us to figure out what happened. We were sleeping far enough apart that he didn't really land too much on either one of us so no one got hurt. My husband picked him up and tossed him back on to the bunk.

I think he was laying on his side with his bum near the railing and sort of fell through in the fetal position. He didn't even wake up. DH and I were sleeping and we woke up suddenly with our son between us and both said, "what the heck was that". It took a minute or two for us to figure out what happened. We were sleeping far enough apart that he didn't really land too much on either one of us so no one got hurt. My husband picked him up and tossed him back on to the bunk.

He didn't even wake up? I am sorry, but I am LMAO right now. That could have really hurt him. Kids are so odd! Thank goodness though, otherwise he may be traumatized. You know? Thank goodness y'all have been married long enough you sleep in separate zip-codes :p

Yikes! We're going to be on the Sensation in August with our 3.5 year old and almost 7 year old. I'm pretty sure I'm going to pack our Bed Bug bumpers after reading this post!

http://www.gobedbug.com/GOPAGES/travelsets.htm

They are really lightweight, and I can cram them into one of the suitcases. If there is only a rail like the one kr8z posted, I'm afraid my 3yo will end up falling out.

Yikes! We're going to be on the Sensation in August with our 3.5 year old and almost 7 year old. I'm pretty sure I'm going to pack our Bed Bug bumpers after reading this post!

http://www.gobedbug.com/GOPAGES/travelsets.htm

They are really lightweight, and I can cram them into one of the suitcases. If there is only a rail like the one kr8z posted, I'm afraid my 3yo will end up falling out.

Sounds like a good idea. The one bunk isn't that bad as it's over the king bed, but the other one is about a foot over the bed and the rest is over the floor or whatever you put there (chair, foot stool, luggage, stroller, etc.)

Wow - that really is some gap!! Never saw a bunk railing like that. I can see how a child might fall thru - luckily you were his "cushion!" And the fact that he didn't wake up is amazing! Luckily, I always carry a roll of duct tape with me - if my dd had slept in a bunk with that railing, I would have "made" a middle bar of tape! (McGyver style!:D)

Archived