Restaurants in Montreal

Any recommendations for restaurants in Montreal near the Springhill Suites Old Montreal on Rue Saint Jean Batiste? Thank you.

Barbara

You are going to have to be a lot more specific about what you want. What kind of food? What kind of atmosphere? What kind of price? Are you going to be able to make reservations and keep them?

PS: French is the food of France, not Quebec. If you want local food (cuisine du terroir) say local, not French, because they are very different. Remember we speak French, but we aren't French, just like they speak English in the US but they aren't English. :D

Thanks on tip of local vs French. We are willing to pay the price for good food. We are in Montral two nights - the first being arrival day is iffy but would make and keep a reservation for Friday night. Perhaps a good sampling of local food is what we would like. Thanks.

Thanks on tip of local vs French. We are willing to pay the price for good food. We are in Montral two nights - the first being arrival day is iffy but would make and keep a reservation for Friday night. Perhaps a good sampling of local food is what we would like. Thanks.

Without a reservation, you should be able to get in to Modavie (Ribs & Jazz), The Keg (Canadian chain, steak and seafood), les 3 Brasseurs (French chain, beer and pub food), Steak-Frites St-Paul (Local chair, steak).

With a reservation... Club Chasse et Peche (game), Bonaparte (French), Garde Manger (Local, note that this restaurant is loud and lively and not romantic per se. If you want a quiet place, this isn't it. That said, it's fantastic and the chef beat the US Iron Chefs.), Stash (Polish), Barrocco (local), Gibby's (Steak and Seafood), Chez L'Epicier (local) and DNA (local). I can keep on going, but I think you get the idea.

Of course, I'm not spending my money and you didn't give me an idea of atmosphere and expectations. Remember that in Montreal you will likely not be overfed in a restaurant, like in the US. Portions are smaller. We tend to prefer smaller amounts of wonderful food over large amounts of mediocre food. Also understand that waitstaff in Montreal are not as attentive, they assume you want your privacy and wait for you to call them. And tipping is generally 15% before taxes. If you pay with a CC they will generally bring a hand held unit to you because we need to put our card in (chip & pin). But if you only have a magnetic stripe they will need to slide the card for you.

We stayed at that same Springhill Suites over Christmas and I can recommend two restaurants very close to the hotel. The first is Restaurant Aix Cuisine du Terroir, featuring regional cuisine, which is a short walk from the hotel. You can check out the restaurant or make reservations here:

http://www.aixcuisine.com/index_en.php

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/montreal/D56991.html

There is also a restaurant attached to the hotel called Le Saint-Gabriel, which is also very good:

http://www.lesaint-gabriel.com/en/saint-gabriel

Archived