Ship time or local time in Cabo San Lucas?

CruzinNoony

For those of you who have been on the Splendor recently, do the clocks reflect ship or local time in Cabo? :rolleyes:

We got home from Splendor just last Sunday. :( (Wish I was still on her-we had an awesome cruise.)

We stayed on ship time both in Cabo and PV. The cruise director made many, many announcements to NOT use cell phones for clocks because they update time zones automatically.

On the few ships that I have been on, you are always on ship time, no matter where you are. Almost missed getting back once in Dominica as we forgot the ship time was different than the time on the island.

MexicoBob

Thank you very much. The reason I was asking is that we want to do a whale watching tour with a private company and are trying to figure out the time. The tour will get back at 1:30 (Cabo is on mountain time) and the Splendor sails at 3:00 (pacific time), so maybe someone can figure this out for me!!:confused:

Ahhh yes the ship time / local time thread, I've asked around as we are also planning independant excursions. You will note the frustrating part in the replies above, everyone tells you "ship time" ship time" ship time", but what you really needed to know was what does the ship use for ship time?

Now mix in Daylight Savings Time that some contries observe and some do not and you can quickly develop a headache trying to figure it out.

We sail on the splendor in a couple of weeks so we had to wait until just recently as Mexico just turned its clocks forward for DST. From the few I've talked to, including my PVP, during DST periods of the year (roughly april - October) splendoer DOES NOT MOVE its clock forward/back. They stay on Long Beach Time or more specific the Splendor "ship time" is set to Pacific Daylight Time for the duration of the cruise.

However, during the "Standard Time's" of the year (Nov - April) Splendor moves it's clocks forward one hour on Monday night and then back on Friday Night.

So it is very possible that you would get two answers to your question. Once you've established what time zone the ship stays on, its super easy to find out the time in ports by going here (I think CC will delete the site so I'll spell it out:

http://www.timeanddate.com/

w w w dot timeanddate dot com

plug in the port name and voila, tells you time and time zone. So to answer your question:

Cabo is on Mountain Daylight Time which is 1hr ahead

PV is on Central Daylight Time which is 2hrs ahead.

So the modified itinerary through August should look like this:

Cabo San Lucas, Tuesday:

930am - 6pm (Ship Time/Published Itinerary or Pacific Daylight Time)

1030am - 7pm (Local Time or Mountain Daylight Time)

Cabo San Lucas, Wedensday:

700am - 4pm (Ship Time/Published Itinerary or Pacific Daylight Time)

800am - 5pm (Local Time or Mountain Daylight Time)

Puerto Vallarta, Thursday:

900am - 10pm (Ship Time/Published Itinerary or Pacific Daylight Time)

1100am - 1200(midnight) (Local Time or Central Daylight Time).

Please, double check my work before planning anything, and as always have fun.

Archived