What happened to Cunard?

world~citizen

We were looking at our cruise for this year and the August QV cruise from Venice to Rome caught our eye - the itinerary is (for us) very interesting.

We would be dining in the Britania DR. I looked at the dining room dinner menu and noted a steak with Jack Daniel's BBQ sauce with FF and onions. Holy cow!

Is it my imagination, or are the alternate dining options as unremarkable as they appear on the Cunard website?

I assume the PG and QG are off limits to all but those in the most expensive cabin quarters. Thats sort of too bad, they are in a great venue built to host the Tamarind restaurant in the HAL Eurodam class ships ... open to all.

When we saw the itinerary under the Cunard moniker, we were sure we found our cruise, but on first blush the QV appears to be a re-cycled E-Dam class ship presenting an uninspired menu and sailing experience.

I know it has always been the Cunard way, but paying to sail a ship with restricted dining venues is a bit annoying.

What am I missing? What is there about the QV experience that distinguishes itself?

We started cruising after a remarkable TA on the QE2. Since then, there have been wonderful improvements in the cruise experience.

Has the QV missed the boat?

Smooth sailing...

Has the QV missed the boat?

Smooth sailing...

Not in my opinion - though that main course did strike me as unusual - perhaps they have loaded it in honour of her ex-LA voyages!

The Queen Elizabeth and Queen Mary menus seem much more typical of what I've had onboard!

As to alternative dining on Queen Victoria I took a night out from the Princess Grill for the Fondue evening in the Lido - excellent! And the curry evenings are spoken of very highly. Then there is Todd English - also worth visiting.

A seasoned traveller who has sailed widely commented on QV 'that you would not know she shared the same DNA as the other Vistas' - the 'double height rooms' being part of the difference.

Queen Victoria has proved a very popular ship - even winning over some QE2 diehards - and they're a tough crowd!

Hi Word~Citizen. To the best of my knowledge, Cunard has always had different dining venues depending on category booked. Just my personal experience during 8 QM2 voyages: I never felt I was missing out on anything by not dining in the Grill restaurants - it's ok by me if people want to spend quite a bit extra for that option :)

I'm afraid I can't answer your question "what am I missing" because I don't know what you're looking for in a cruise ship. Perhaps if you could be more specific in your question, those experienced with QV voyages can be more expansive in reply. Regards, -S.

Queen Victoria has proved a very popular ship - even winning over some QE2 diehards - and they're a tough crowd!

Quite. Mind you, with the leadership of Mr. Andrew Nelder as Senior Maitre D' there is a clear continuity with the late, great QE2.

I had stellar service in the Britannia - although there were a number of ex-QE2 people in the team who no doubt had a lot to do with it.

Quite. Mind you, with the leadership of Mr. Andrew Nelder as Senior Maitre D' there is a clear continuity with the late, great QE2.

I had stellar service in the Britannia - although there were a number of ex-QE2 people in the team who no doubt had a lot to do with it.

The ghost of the Qe2.another era, another past . The QV has alot of competition in the cruise industry and I found some issues with food service

We found the QV to be superlative. We then changed to QM2 and found her to be the biggest disappointment of our lives. The food on QV, the cleanliest of QV, the staff on QV, the entertainment on QV and the lectures on QV far surpassed those on QM2. Why QM2 is the "Flagship" I'll never know. That's my opinion at least.

I assume the PG and QG are off limits to all but those in the most expensive cabin quarters.

When we saw the itinerary under the Cunard moniker, we were sure we found our cruise, but on first blush the QV appears to be a re-cycled E-Dam class ship presenting an uninspired menu and sailing experience.

I know it has always been the Cunard way, but paying to sail a ship with restricted dining venues is a bit annoying.

I hope you find what you're looking for, but I'm curious as to how you handle similar restrictions on planes and trains?

I always fly economy and I understand that because I have paid less than those in First and Business class I am not permitted to recline in their larger seats or partake in the much better food that they are served, than us economy passengers.

Yes, I wish that I was in First class, but I accept that I haven't paid the requisite fare.

It also hasn't occurred to me that there is any 'class discrimination' being perpetuated against me by the airlines. I have always assumed that I wasn't being provided with a first class ticket because I haven't paid for one, not because QANTAS believes I'm non-U.

So please don't feel that you are being discriminated because of your background. I'm sure if you pay the appropriate fare you may dine anywhere you wish.

...So please don't feel that you are being discriminated because of your background. I'm sure if you pay the appropriate fare you may dine anywhere you wish.

Quite.

I can do even do better. I can sail HAL, Celebrity, Azamara, Princess and others (you get the idea), and not have to deal with that sort of thing at all...which was my point.

Also, what do you know of my background? You are the only one here to bring that up.

Actually the point I was making is that much has changed from the (not so golden) Golden Days of the transatlantic ferry. Moving away from the class system on passenger ships was in my view a progressive step. Buy "ponying-up" to use a colloquial expression, I dined in the same venue on E-class ships that I would be restricted from altogether on QV.

By "ponying-up", I still subscribed to the "equal opportunity based upon ability to pay thing", a notion I have no difficulty with.

To have whole dining venues denied however, that represents a different situation.

By train I have never been denied access to dining cars, and alternate dining venues are not as yet, I think, available on passenger planes - though I haven't flown on a A380 yet so I can't be certain of that.;)

Smooth sailing...

not have to deal with that sort of thing at all...

Not for much longer.

Norwegian Epic, Disney Dream, RCCL's Labadee Island, and more coming to other lines no doubt.....in this, Cunard is ahead of the game.....

Since on Queen Victoria the 'exclusive' area is tucked out of the way at the top of the ship I'd bet many people don't even realise its there.....

Quite.

To have whole dining venues denied however, that represents a different situation.

By train I have never been denied access to dining cars.....

Smooth sailing...

But you have been denied access to the first class cabin on that train in which all you would do is sit. Whether it be a dining area to eat or a cabin in which to sleep or a railway carriage in which to sit, what is the difference. IMO it is not class distinction but merely ability to pay. I really cannot see why people get upset over upper, middle and lower class dining arrangements/areas, you pays your money etc.

Quite.

By train I have never been denied access to dining cars, and alternate dining venues are not as yet, I think, available on passenger planes - though I haven't flown on a A380 yet so I can't be certain of that.;)

Smooth sailing...

I have been denied access to a dining car because I didn't have a fisrt-class ticket. This was a number of years ago on a British train. We had previously traveled second-class (or whatever they were calling it) on a train and eaten in the dining car, no problems. A year or two later, when we tried to do that we were told that the rules had changed and only first-class pax could eat inthe dining car. I was disappointed, but their train, their rules. More recently, when checking out a British train that had dining car service, I saw that first-class pax could eat in the dining car and others might be admitted if there was room. On our train ride in England a week ago, first-class pax got service at their seats. The rest of us had to walk to the buffet car.

You pay more, you get more. I think of it as a pricing structure, not a class system.

I have been denied access to a dining car because I didn't have a fisrt-class ticket. This was a number of years ago on a British train. We had previously traveled second-class (or whatever they were calling it) on a train and eaten in the dining car, no problems. A year or two later, when we tried to do that we were told that the rules had changed and only first-class pax could eat inthe dining car. I was disappointed, but their train, their rules. More recently, when checking out a British train that had dining car service, I saw that first-class pax could eat in the dining car and others might be admitted if there was room. On our train ride in England a week ago, first-class pax got service at their seats. The rest of us had to walk to the buffet car.

You pay more, you get more. I think of it as a pricing structure, not a class system.

Yes I have never patronized British trains outside of Eurostar - not really British.

But you have been denied access to the first class cabin on that train in which all you would do is sit. Whether it be a dining area to eat or a cabin in which to sleep or a railway carriage in which to sit, what is the difference. IMO it is not class distinction but merely ability to pay. I really cannot see why people get upset over upper, middle and lower class dining arrangements/areas, you pays your money etc.

I haven't been denied that sort of access actually but I actually don't patronize British Rail.

Ability to pay? Perhaps willingness?

Smooth sailing...

I can sail HAL, Celebrity....and not have to deal with that sort of thing at all...which was my point.

A very special amenity exclusively for guests cruising in a Penthouse Verandah Suite or Deluxe Verandah Suite, the industry-leading Neptune Lounge features a private place to relax, socialize with other suite guests and enjoy the personalized service of a concierge. The fleet-wide lounges provide worktables, large screen television, library, sofas and chairs, wi-fi and refreshments throughout the day. One-Touch 24-hour Concierge Service is available when the Neptune Lounge is closed.

AquaClassSM

Designed for the ultimate spa enthusiast. Available only on Celebrity Cruises, these serene staterooms, each with a private veranda, are located high above it all, nestled comfortably close to the AquaSpa® by Elemis® Relaxation Room, the Solarium and the Persian Garden. And dine in your own restaurant, Blu, featuring health-conscious dishes you'd never guess were good for you.

I have been denied access to a dining car because I didn't have a fisrt-class ticket.

Same here - used to be good fun - enjoy a leisurely lunch in First Class then adjourn to the rabble in second with most of the journey complete.....no more alas...fetch it yourself and wait while they microwave it.....with a bit of luck its warmish by the time you've fought your way back to your seat (assuming no one has occupied it in your absence.....)

Not for much longer.

Norwegian Epic, Disney Dream, RCCL's Labadee Island, and more coming to other lines no doubt.....in this, Cunard is ahead of the game.....

Since on Queen Victoria the 'exclusive' area is tucked out of the way at the top of the ship I'd bet many people don't even realise its there.....

Well, more to the point - never changed its game perhaps?

Everyone has their own idea with respect to what constitutes a vacation worth paying for. Jack Daniel's BBQ sauce and Fries on steak raises alarm bells for me, but that is just me.

Serve it up on the QV? Holy cow.

There must be something really good about that steak or there must be something going on on that ship that represents value. To that end I am looking for observations in that direction.

The enrichment program might be something? I'll keep an eye on the thread to see what else pops up. The QV is still a possibility, but for now I tend toward Azamara. A bit of information here or a price incentive there, and I could change my mind.

All the comments here are very instructive and much appreciated.

Smooth sailing...

Jack Daniel's BBQ sauce and Fries on steak raises alarm bells for me, but that is just me.

Same here - and in my view atypical of what I've been served onboard - the QM2/QE menus i posted were much more typical - what did you think of them?

We have met a number of non-suite guests in the Neptune before entertaining them. I wouldn't say access was denied, I would say it wasn't denied.

As to X, I have no experience with what you presented here. It will be interesting to see how it develops. I see the point you are making however.

Smooth sailing...

Same here - and in my view atypical of what I've been served onboard - the QM2/QE menus i posted were much more typical - what did you think of them?

I thought they were fine. Even the Grill menus on the QV raised eyebrows around here.

Frankly, as we are looking for a cruise before a trip back to Canada, it may be best just to sail the QM2 TA and be done with it.

For the life of me I can't believe QM2 pricing now - cheaper than flying - and I wonder if thats just plain wrong.:eek::)

Smooth sailing...

For the life of me I can't believe QM2 pricing now - cheaper than flying - and I wonder if thats just plain wrong.:eek::

Ah.....but you can get through a lot more additional spending on a 7 night crossing than on an 8 hour flight.....:eek:

Frankly, as we are looking for a cruise before a trip back to Canada, it may be best just to sail the QM2 TA and be done with it.

Hip, hip hurray!!!
For the life of me I can't believe QM2 pricing now - cheaper than flying - and I wonder if thats just plain wrong.:eek::)

It's called MARKET DEMAND. Seven days of ATLANTIC water verses 7 hours of flight. OR maybe it's 7 days of Jack Daniels sauce on EVERYTHING.

Ah.....but you can get through a lot more additional spending on a 7 night crossing than on an 8 hour flight.....:eek:

The prices for TA have dropped dramatically .

I'm looking at top season-summer- and more discounts from world club

And travel agents. What is going on?

We have met a number of non-suite guests in the Neptune before entertaining them. I wouldn't say access was denied, I would say it wasn't denied.

Smooth sailing...

Do you mean you used the Neptune as a meeting point before going elsewhere? From what I've read on the HAL boards, nonsuite pax are never admitted to the Neptune. And from what I could observe in the Neptune, the concierges knew who we all were, so they would know if nonsuite pax came in.

Hello,

We have sailed with both Holland America and Cunard on many occassions and enjoy both lines.

However, we do not feel that the suites on Holland America offer as good value for your money as the suites on Cunard. The Neptune lounge and breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill can not compare with Cunard's Grills (three meals-a-day in your own restaurant, at your own table with no fixed seating times, excellent service, a-la-carte menu, plus the Grill lounge and concierge service/lounge).

The last time we sailed with Holland America, we tried the anytime as-you-wish dining option with very good success.

Both lines work well for us, but we have to give Cunard top honour due to their dining and entertainment/enrichment programmes (especially sea days where the only activities on HAL are bingo and food demonstrations).

Cheers!

Alan

Archived