NCL - Downhill ?

carolknj

I just got off the NCL Star this Saturday as well. We didn't have a terrible time like the previous poster stated, I do agree the food is so so, but the shows were amazing. Service was not bad, but my wife and I do agree Princess was better when it came to food and service. But again we thought the shows on this cruise were amazing and I also heard this from a lot of other fellow passengers. We have just completed out 2nd cruise, so I can't comment too much.

Extreme Las Vegas was very good. Band on the Run was okay. Elements was quite good too.

Coconut ice cream was good. Pretzel bread made good sandwiches.But, most of the buffet was lower quality than Hometown Buffet and almost all of the desserts I tried were so dry I couldn't eat more than a couple of bites.

We were never offered anything to drink other than water (no coffee, no tea). Throughout the entire cruise, only one person came to ask us if our food was okay.

I realize that the experience is different depending on the passenger, but it was just so disappointing compared to our previous trips on RCI.

Freestyle should not mean free of decent food and service.

Extreme Las Vegas was very good. Band on the Run was okay. Elements was quite good too.

Coconut ice cream was good. Pretzel bread made good sandwiches.But, most of the buffet was lower quality than Hometown Buffet and almost all of the desserts I tried were so dry I couldn't eat more than a couple of bites.

We were never offered anything to drink other than water (no coffee, no tea). Throughout the entire cruise, only one person came to ask us if our food was okay.

I realize that the experience is different depending on the passenger, but it was just so disappointing compared to our previous trips on RCI.

I agree with you what you said..Now the question is, who should we cruise with next year??? NCL is not off our list, we will probably cruise them again. Will be spending the next few months doing research.

I don't understand your comment about coffee and tea. They are free and self serve in the Market Cafe. I have been on the Star over 30 cruises, and have NEVER failed to get coffee or tea in the MDR or any other restaurant on the ship. Did you ask for them ? Something is not right with your comments !!!!

I just got off NCL Star on Saturday and had the worst cruise experience I have ever had. It doesn't even compare to RCI and the food and service were horrible (food almost inedible).

NCL is the Dollar Tree of cruise lines.

In over 30 cruises on the Star, I have NEVER had a bad meal. The service is also top notch. The disparaging remark about NCL is not true and is uncalled for.

In over 30 cruises on the Star, I have NEVER had a bad meal. The service is also top notch. The disparaging remark about NCL is not true and is uncalled for.

This is a site to share opinions. Yours is valued, just as mine should be.

I'm happy you had good experiences, but you can't tell people that their opinion is untrue. Opinions are subjective by nature.

This site exists to give people a 360 degree view of everyone's experiences. It's not here to post only good reviews. That's what marketing departments are for.

I am truly shocked at the anger the NCL fanboys have showed. These forums are for people to post good and bad about their experience. It seems some of you here are so passionate about NCL that you fail to believe some people may of had a bad experience. There are plenty of other CL out there and each have their own following. I joined this website because our family loves to cruise and where else can you get non biased reviews to the various companies out there.

You get what you pay for. NCL is cheaper in most cases. I cruise on 4 different lines and NCL is the worst, but worth the price you pay. The food pushes you to the pay restaurants and the booze is higher, but if you don't drink, eat the stuff you get in the free restaurants, the price is right. Everyone likes someting different; that's why they make vannila, chocolate and strawberry.

This is a site to share opinions. Yours is valued, just as mine should be.

I'm happy you had good experiences, but you can't tell people that their opinion is untrue. Opinions are subjective by nature.

This site exists to give people a 360 degree view of everyone's experiences. It's not here to post only good reviews. That's what marketing departments are for.

You're right. Opinions should be valued. It's just when someone says the food on NCL is inedible (or almost inedible) I can't help but wonder what their comparison is.

I just got off NCL Star on Saturday and had the worst cruise experience I have ever had. It doesn't even compare to RCI and the food and service were horrible (food almost inedible).

Wow! I love the Dollar Tree near my house. It has good products, a clean store and an excellent crew. Kind of like NCL. BTW, as a suite cruiser, I have found them hard to beat.

To answer the OP's question - no. A resounding, NO!

We have cruised NCL since 2003, 6 cruises, with the 7th coming up in 20 weeks.

Maybe a few things have disappeared, like mints on your pillow at night - who cares? It's not like we didn't get plenty to eat during the day.

As far as nickel and diming, there isn't any more now than there has been in the past, and we are good at politely saying no. They don't force it on anyone.

Do I think ALL of the food is wonderful? No, but most of it is pretty darn good. To hear someone say that all or almost all of the food is inedible, leaves me with some questions.

I remember after we had been on NCL cruises on 2003 and 2004, I joined Cruise Critic. We had booked a cruise on the Spirit and I was reading some posts that said the food was awful and the service was awful and so on. It did make me nervous because I had bragged up NCL enough that 2 first time cruisers were joining us for that cruise. When we got on the Spirit I was quickly relieved because we found the food and the service to be just as good as we'd experienced before on the other 2 NCL ships we'd been on. It left us scratching our heads about the negative posts we had seen.

It continues to be that way before every cruise. We read that someone had an awful time (for legitimate reasons sometimes, due to sickness or bad weather, or other things that NCL cannot control) but then we get onto the ship and we are amazed again at the level of service we receive as well as the good food we partake in each time.

As suite guests on the last 2 cruises we have received even greater service and good food.

I will tell you about the bad, along with the good, and it must be good for us because we keep going on NCL!

If someone is going to be unhappy about it, I'd hope they would be on a different ship or different cruise lines altogether and leave NCL to those of us who love it!

To each their own.

In case you are unaware, Dollar Tree is a multi-billion dollar company. In fact, it netted more sales than ANY cruise line in 2010. By comparing NCL to Dollar Tree, you are in fact saying they are a very successful cruise line...LOL.

While I don't sail NCL exclusively, I find that they are comparable in every way to other cruise lines with the exception of their suites. NO mass market cruise line can compare with NCL's suite life....period!!!

No, NCL is NOT going downhill, although I did think so when we were on the Pride of Aloha. Poor service and they ran out of many food items.

Every subsequent cruise was very good-----food & servicewise. I do wish they had the coin-ops, but we have taken advantage of the midcruise bag special. If you don't want to be nickel & dimed at-----JUST SAY NO.

A few years back, a reality TV show was made aboard the Pearl. It really opened ones eyes about the workings of a cruise ship. Crew members were instructed to SELL SELL SELL.

I'm looking to our next cruise on the Jewel, coming up soon.

Here is a list of what I remember changing since my first cruise but the sale prices for 7-night cruises have remained the same so I guess they are getting less and less money as each year goes by. NCL is still a very good value IMHO but I prefered the way it was when I started cruising.

- No more self-serve laundromats (which were free except for soap)

- No more free specialty restaurants (Tex-Mex and Italian used to be free, now 10$pp - On this, HAL is better since they ADDED FREE italian option to their cruises)

- No more pillow chocolate

- Spa is no longer included in the cruise fare (but it is less busy now)

- Lattitudes programm reviewed and it now takes more cruises to change levels (the only fun thing they added was a glass of bubbly upon boarding but this has also been removed a very short time after being iniated)

OK, very subjective but here is what I personnally found about food: My first cruise, the MDR food and free tex-mex were very good, I was highly satisfied with the food even if it wasn't 5-star. After, I have had a few cruises where the free food was only fair to good (with an exceptional very good meal here and there). But on my last cruise, I must admit that the food was much better (mostly very good at all meals) but it might have been that I had read a thread about what to order in the MDR and sticked to the recommended food items. I go to a few specialty restaurants on each cruise and I find Le Bistro EXCELLENT every time, Cagney's a hit or miss, italian restaurant has mproved since it has a cover charge and tex-mex excellent now but it also was when it was free. The hibachi-style restaurant (sorry, I can't remember the name just now) was only OK when I was there (the Chef first night in this venue) so since the price is now 25$ (was 10 to 15$ when I was there), I didn't feel the need to return. Asian restaurant has gone down hill IMHO and I have been there quite a few times since my boyfriend loves it (he doesn't know it but it used to be MUCH better - sushi are still good even if very basics, so it's what I order when I go there).

On the other hand:

- New Future Cruise Credit Programm is very good - worth buying if you plan on returning on NCL.

The economy has made lots of businesses, cruise lines and NCL as well, tighten their belts and bottom line. What a challenge to stay competitive and still offer the consumer what it wants.

Actually, cruise prices are very low, both in comparison with past cruise prices and other vacations. Anyone who desires a more upscale cruise experience has choices to book a luxury line OR cruise NCL in a suite. I choose the latter.

NCL is savvy. They offer a scaled down basic cruise that is affordable to most and a more ala carte menu for those who wish for add-ons. And they offer a wonderful suite experience for those who wish it. Although they have made a few changes to this, for the most part it remains the same and I believe that NCL recognizes they have a very loyal "suite cruising" contingent and they would be crazy to mess with that program. As may others have stated, it is worth the extra to me.

I ignore the sales pitches for things I don't want.

The NCL crews are wonderful too.

The last time we went on an NCL Cruise was in 2007 and we had a great time. We heard that NCL has gone downhill. Is this ture?

We heard that they nickel and dime you for everything and they took away the coin laundry and they constantly nag you to buy this or that.

Is this any different from other cruise lines?

-Everything you state is 100% true!

-Last time you cruised on NCL (2007) you had a great time, I assume this is true as you stated it :)

-You have heard that they nickel and dime, yes I believe that you have heard this,

-They took away the self laundry, yes they have.

-They constantly nag you to buy things, yes this is true.

Now, to set your mind at ease and to answer your question. No, this isn't any different then other cruise lines, all cruise lines push the extras. Althougn some still have self service laundry. If you enjoyed NCL in 2007, then you will enjoy them again.

Hi, this is Mr. carolknj (the OP). Carol is just not an experienced poster on these types of forums so give her some slack.

As a brief background as to what our plans are and our experience with cruising:

We've only been on 2 cruises in our lives, the one on the Pearl in 2007 to Alaska and one on Premeire Cruise lines some years back. We absolutely loved our Pearl trip and that's why we started our plans to do the Gem in November. But, in another general topic forum, where a person asked about cruise lines, there were quite a few people talking about NEVER going on NCL and that the food was bad, and all the other stuff my wife described in the OP. They mentioned that RCI or Princess or others was a much better option for mass cruise lines. Since we love our last NCL cruise but it was 4 years ago, we thought to come here and ask around, since we are not avid cruisers and we want to make sure we aren't disappointed.

So I ascertain from the posts here that things that have changed are:

No more free specialty restaurants - a bit of a disappointment but we can survive this

The coin op laundry is gone - we liked the idea of packing light and doing a wash one day on the cruise, but since the port is "local" we can pack a big heavier.

No chocolates on the pillows - a nice touch, but again, not a deal breaker

Other than that, seems to be about the same as always. We are trying to do this kind of "on the cheap" as we are planning to go indoor cabin and not go suite, ect. I'd rather spend the extra money on the restaurants or an nicer excursion. But that's our choice. We are not drinkers, so that's not an issue, and I rather drink iced tea than soda. We are taking my 11 year old girl with us, so any insight on the kids program would be helpful.

So what we are looking for is more of a comparison with NCL and how it is with other lines. Nothing here so far has convinced me NOT to take NCL based on our logistics and the "bang for the buck".

-Everything you state is 100% true!

-Last time you cruised on NCL (2007) you had a great time, I assume this is true as you stated it :)

-You have heard that they nickel and dime, yes I believe that you have heard this,

-They took away the self laundry, yes they have.

-They constantly nag you to buy things, yes this is true.

Now, to set your mind at ease and to answer your question. No, this isn't any different then other cruise lines, all cruise lines push the extras. Althougn some still have self service laundry. If you enjoyed NCL in 2007, then you will enjoy them again.

The last time we went on an NCL Cruise was in 2007 and we had a great time. We heard that NCL has gone downhill. Is this ture?

We heard that they nickel and dime you for everything and they took away the coin laundry and they constantly nag you to buy this or that.

Is this any different from other cruise lines?

Sure charges for some things have increased, they have accross the entired cruising industry. However, NCL still hasn't kicked in the fuel suppliment. Like it or not, things like milk, bread, butter, beef, etc., have gone up even since this time last year. For what you get on a cruise, I believe it is a great value, and NCL continues to deliver a great product. Downhill, I don't think they've peaked yet, but the Epic was pretty close to being perfect.;)

It's not that NCL has gone downhill, it's that it has changed and I don't like change. I miss the free glass of champagne on boarding and the pillow chocolates. I miss the big lobster tail, I miss the carving station in the buffet. I miss the extensive choices in the MDR.

So, to get over those disappointments (on any cruiseline) I'm learning to just go with the flow. The cruises won't be like they were in the past but they will still be wonderful. I will still have the best time of my life. They will still have to pull me off kicking and screaming at the end and I will still want to book another cruise immediately.

I was very disappointed with the changes I noticed on our last NCL cruise but I thought the food was delicious. (great cheesecake and key lime pie.) Our cabin attendant was the best we have ever had. Of course the ship was beautiful (the Pearl), the itinerary was fabulous (Alaska) and the time spent with my DH was priceless.

Hi, this is Mr. carolknj (the OP). Carol is just not an experienced poster on these types of forums so give her some slack.

As a brief background as to what our plans are and our experience with cruising:

We've only been on 2 cruises in our lives, the one on the Pearl in 2007 to Alaska and one on Premeire Cruise lines some years back. We absolutely loved our Pearl trip and that's why we started our plans to do the Gem in November. But, in another general topic forum, where a person asked about cruise lines, there were quite a few people talking about NEVER going on NCL and that the food was bad, and all the other stuff my wife described in the OP. They mentioned that RCI or Princess or others was a much better option for mass cruise lines. Since we love our last NCL cruise but it was 4 years ago, we thought to come here and ask around, since we are not avid cruisers and we want to make sure we aren't disappointed.

So I ascertain from the posts here that things that have changed are:

No more free specialty restaurants - a bit of a disappointment but we can survive this

The coin op laundry is gone - we liked the idea of packing light and doing a wash one day on the cruise, but since the port is "local" we can pack a big heavier.

No chocolates on the pillows - a nice touch, but again, not a deal breaker

Other than that, seems to be about the same as always. We are trying to do this kind of "on the cheap" as we are planning to go indoor cabin and not go suite, ect. I'd rather spend the extra money on the restaurants or an nicer excursion. But that's our choice. We are not drinkers, so that's not an issue, and I rather drink iced tea than soda. We are taking my 11 year old girl with us, so any insight on the kids program would be helpful.

So what we are looking for is more of a comparison with NCL and how it is with other lines. Nothing here so far has convinced me NOT to take NCL based on our logistics and the "bang for the buck".

I am sure you will enjoy it as much as you did before, if not even more. We love NCL!

Archived