Cruising with the Kiddies

Britty36

We will be sailing on our first cruise in December on the Carnival Fantasy. My 6 year old daughter will be staying in a suite with my mother and nephew, and my husband and I will have a OV with our son (will be 4 by the cruise). Throughout the year my husband and I only get ONE NIGHT completely by ourselves. I know that there is Camp Carnival for the kids to go to on the ship and the kids will have fun but it kinda makes me feel bad for wanting to keep them in there so that my husband and I can spend some time together! I want to spend time with the kids too but I'd rather spend most of it with my husband since we never get to be alone at home! Does this sound horrible? I am sure I'm not the only one who feels this way.:o

Most kids love Camp Carnival and want to go as soon as it opens. On sea days, we give our DS the option of going to camp or doing the water slide and pool - which is what he normally picks. But after dinner in the MDR with us each night, he is ready to go back to camp! After dropping him off, we go back to the cabin and change into swimsuits and head to the hot tubs.

Some people choose to vacation without their children. They evidently have someone who can care for their children while they are gone. We do not, so our DS always travels with us. He's a great traveler, and enjoys both time with us and time in Camp Carnival (or which ever ship we are on).

Don't feel guilty! A healthy, loving relationship is KEY to a happy family! Let your mom and nephew take him for a night...a sleepover! He'll love it, and so will you.

Kids don't have to come 1st all the time.....the adults NEED some alone time. It's healthy and good for the kids.

Definitely don't feel guilty. The little kids usually have a great time in Camp Carnival. There's post 10pm kidsitting ($5 or so / hour) that you can sign up for -- the kids curl up on pillows in the kids' room and watch videos. My girl always enjoyed this at that age.

Please don't feel guilty!

Having your children in a kids club is not abuse and they will probably have a ball. Who knows, most of the kids we see never want to leave.

My parents always went on a vacation annually without my brother and I which taught us many lessons. We were fine for the week or two that they were gone and that they would always come back. It also taught us the importance of having private adult time to rekindle the magic sort of speak. When they returned we had a mom and dad that were so nice and without stress.

Have a great cruise!:)

Don't feel guilty at all...when our boys were that age they didn't want to ever leave the "kids camp" areas and that was fine with us. It's great to have a family vacation but it's also nice to have a little bit of time just for the two of you. :)

We remember the guilt when we started taking our daughter on cruises at age 5. But the reality is that most children love the kids programs where they get to play with other kids and have professonal counselors. Our daughter used to get angry when we pulled her out of the programs for meals. So instead of getting worked-up at this point, just wait and see how it goes when you first put the kids in Camp Carnival. If they are happy, than you should be happy. If they are sad, then you might need to pull them out and play Mom. By the way, our daughter is now nearly 30 and she still remembers that first cruise and the name of two of her friends.

Hank

We will be sailing on our first cruise in December on the Carnival Fantasy. My 6 year old daughter will be staying in a suite with my mother and nephew, and my husband and I will have a OV with our son (will be 4 by the cruise). Throughout the year my husband and I only get ONE NIGHT completely by ourselves. I know that there is Camp Carnival for the kids to go to on the ship and the kids will have fun but it kinda makes me feel bad for wanting to keep them in there so that my husband and I can spend some time together! I want to spend time with the kids too but I'd rather spend most of it with my husband since we never get to be alone at home! Does this sound horrible? I am sure I'm not the only one who feels this way.:o

I'm sure you aren't the only one who feels that way, but it's not like you are locking the poor kid in a closet while you enjoy some time with your hubby, right? He'll most likely love the Camp and have a blast.

I do like the idea of an overnight with in the other cabin also.

Thanks so much for all of your replies!! Sorry for my late response!!! Being a full time student with 2 kids 6 and under is HECTIC! You guys have made me feel A LOT better about it. I am sure he will have a blast b/c he loves playing with all the kids at the day care in the gym! Sometimes I have to drag him out. My husband and I definitely need some time together. He is a full time RN student (he graduates in December so the cruise is also a reward) and with our schedules so crazy, it's hard to spend time together. Again, thanks so much for making me feel better about this!:D

Archived