Room service - not in suites

OttawaJohn

Can someone clarify what you can do for room service when not in a suite or higher? See lots of posts about how your butler can bring you stuff, but what about us poor folk? :)

In a standard balcony room, what can you get for room service? Is it a wide selection, or just a sandwich and soup?

See several other posts, but some say you can't get anything and others say you can get anything.

Thanks in advance.

Can someone clarify what you can do for room service when not in a suite or higher? See lots of posts about how your butler can bring you stuff, but what about us poor folk? :)

In a standard balcony room, what can you get for room service? Is it a wide selection, or just a sandwich and soup?

See several other posts, but some say you can't get anything and others say you can get anything.

Thanks in advance.

Very very limited selection. They have breakfast menu that you can fill out and hang on your door at night to be brought to you in the morning. Or you can call the order in when you get up in the morning.

We couldn't even find the menu for the rest of the day on our last cruise, however if my memory serves me correctly from our cruise in 2009, it was also extremely limited in choices.

We found it just as easy to go get our own and bring it back to the room if we wished to eat there.

On the Jewel we met a couple who said their children ordered the room service pizza a couple times a day because they loved it so much.

They have BLT's, tuna melt, burgers, hotdogs, eggs all day and you can order from the childrens menu too. Mac & cheese, chicken fingers, grilled cheese, PB&J and lots of dessert choices. If you use the 'search' function, I'm sure someone has posted the menu or a link to it.

Have fun!

Last year on the Star we ordered lots of room service in our "normal" room. We had our 3 year old twins with us, and found it easier to eat in our room. As I recall they had hamburgers, mac n cheese, cant remember the rest. The breakfast menu was pretty basic...........with the boys, I think we ate a majority of the burgers lol. After about the 4th day, I would just go to the buffet and get the boys plates.

The room service menu is basic, and usually took about 45 minutes to get. But it was free :D. We had a pamphlet that had the menu on it in our room.

Thanks in advance.

Here's the standard room service menu. Note: the first half of the first page is a list of items that carry a surcharge. Scroll down to start the list of "free" items.

IMG_8721.jpg

IMG_8723.jpg

Very very limited selection. They have breakfast menu that you can fill out and hang on your door at night to be brought to you in the morning. Or you can call the order in when you get up in the morning.

We couldn't even find the menu for the rest of the day on our last cruise, however if my memory serves me correctly from our cruise in 2009, it was also extremely limited in choices.

We found it just as easy to go get our own and bring it back to the room if we wished to eat there.

There should have been a big black binder in your cabin with lots of pages of information in it, including the room service menu. Reading that we learned that omelettes were available 24 hours a day so we always wrote in Omelette on our breakfast order card that we hung on the door.

Although the meal choices are slim, there was a delicious turkey sandwich as well as hamburger available. And the cheesecake was delicious.

There should have been a big black binder in your cabin with lots of pages of information in it, including the room service menu. Reading that we learned that omelettes were available 24 hours a day so we always wrote in Omelette on our breakfast order card that we hung on the door.

Although the meal choices are slim, there was a delicious turkey sandwich as well as hamburger available. And the cheesecake was delicious.

Our binder did not have a room service menu in it. So unless one of the passengers before us removed it, we did have it in there on the Dawn in 2009. With the limited selection that we weren't interested in, I didn't feel it was worth bothering our room steward for.

It is no bother to the room steward. You call from your cabin directly to the kitchen and place your order. Then servers assigned to this job will deliver to your cabin. They usually call right before bringing it up to make sure you indeed ordered it, and are in the room waiting for it. Can you get a full-course meal, but a Greek Salad, pizza, and a piece of cake with some coffee or a glass of milk is more than enough for me for a meal.:)

Our binder did not have a room service menu in it. So unless one of the passengers before us removed it, we did have it in there on the Dawn in 2009. With the limited selection that we weren't interested in, I didn't feel it was worth bothering our room steward for.

It is no bother to the room steward. You call from your cabin directly to the kitchen and place your order. Then servers assigned to this job will deliver to your cabin. They usually call right before bringing it up to make sure you indeed ordered it, and are in the room waiting for it. Can you get a full-course meal, but a Greek Salad, pizza, and a piece of cake with some coffee or a glass of milk is more than enough for me for a meal.:)

I meant a bother for the room steward to hook us up with an actual room service menu. As I've said for the 3rd time. Our cabin did not have a room service menu on our last cruise.

My point was the fast lunch type foods, deserts or kids meals were not worth it to us to care whether there was a menu in the room or not.

A few years ago we took my nephew with us as a graduation gift. He is a fussy eater - his 4 basic food groups are pizza, pizza, pizza and pizza.

On our week long cruise he ordered 22 pizzas total from room service. He loved them!

We have only cruised in a suite twice, so the previous 4 cruises were in "poor folk" rooms, as you referred to them. :) We ordered room service a few times and were always satisfied with the selections as well as the taste and quality of the food.

As others have said, breakfast is more limited.

Enjoy!

What kind of foods would you consider "room service worthy"? Because unless you are in a suite, there really isn't a lot of room to spread out a full meal to eat in the proper fashion. jmo

I meant a bother for the room steward to hook us up with an actual room service menu. As I've said for the 3rd time. Our cabin did not have a room service menu on our last cruise.

My point was the fast lunch type foods, deserts or kids meals were not worth it to us to care whether there was a menu in the room or not.

What kind of foods would you consider "room service worthy"? Because unless you are in a suite, there really isn't a lot of room to spread out a full meal to eat in the proper fashion. jmo

Actually if you bothered to fully read my first posts, you would find I didn’t complain that the room service menu was not good just breakfasts were limited choices (which it is) and my memory did not recall a very extensive one for other meals. Then I stated that I stood corrected and if you wanted a quick lunch or had kids it might work for the OP, but it wasn’t for us. Then I went on to correct your misreading of my post and tell you that it wasn’t bringing the meal I didn’t want to bother the room steward for but the mysterious missing room service menu.

Now if you must know “What kind of foods would I consider "room service worthy"?” I would love to see the every day daily MDR entrees offered. As for eating in the “proper fashion” I have no idea on what you are talking about. Fork to Mouth…chew…swallow. Sounds pretty simple concept to me no matter where I eat it. As for the size of the room, yes in our balcony cabin would have actually sufficient room for just my husband and myself to eat our meal. It has a little square table that pulls out quite nicely to act as a table for two, watching the sun set over the ocean, possibly a battery operated candle. Now that I think of it sounds pretty darn romantic to me.

As for the size of the room, yes in our balcony cabin would have actually sufficient room for just my husband and myself to eat our meal. It has a little square table that pulls out quite nicely to act as a table for two, watching the sun set over the ocean, possibly a battery operated candle. Now that I think of it sounds pretty darn romantic to me.

I so want to be naughty with this post but instead I will say, "Romantic, indeed!" Have fun! :)

Well, for me that would be: chocolate cake for breakfast, chocolate cake for lunch, and chocolate cake for dinner...I guess since there is chocolate cake on the menu (with raspberry compote, gotta get in a serving of fruit ya know) I think I'm all set! :D;)

Exactly, and you don't even need to find the menu for that. lol And btw, if I wanted a full meal that wasn't on the menu, I would ask hubby to go to the buffet and get something for me. Isn't that his job? j/k;)

Well, for me that would be: chocolate cake for breakfast, chocolate cake for lunch, and chocolate cake for dinner...I guess since there is chocolate cake on the menu (with raspberry compote, gotta get in a serving of fruit ya know) I think I'm all set! :D;)

Last cruise there were 3 of us and the ladies were kind of blah on the room service food. I thought it was great! I think a lot had to do with them expectig the food to be HOT.

I'm more of a realist.

It's pretty much impossible to get anything piping hot from any room service, of course. We used the cup heater on the espresso machine to heat up the pizza, worked great! I thought it was deelish.

I also adored the PB&J with potato chips. Go figure.

We had the option of the other menus since we were in a suite, but seemed to gravitate to the simple items on the regular menu.

One thing I like to point out to people, the breakfast menu is limited, but you can always order an omelet from the regular 24 hour menu.

:o you and I have the same taste in meals, Missy. Maybe a dip of vanilla ice cream on the side?

Archived