Newbie Question about Chair Hogs

I am new to cruising, we are going this summer on Freedom. What is considered a chair hog?

I definitely know it is somebody who drops off their stuff, doesn't get in the pool, and holds the chair for who knows how long as they are somewhere else.

But what about the people who use the pool and have their stuff on a chair? Is it considered hogging the chairs if you use them to put your stuff on while you are playing in the pool a lot.

The reason I ask this is because me and the kids love playing in the pool. I am not a sunbather (I get bored and burnt) nor much of a pool book reader. We only really get out and sit in the chairs to have a bit of break now and then (me more than the kids).

I don't want to be a chair hog, but we need to put our stuff somewhere.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you are there at the pool, no one is going to mess with your stuff. Most people are talking about the folks that come at 7 am and set claim to several chairs and then go about the ship doing other things and don't come back until several hours later. It happens but don't let it spoil your fun. It sounds like you're going to have a lot of it.;)

I am new to cruising, we are going this summer on Freedom. What is considered a chair hog?

I definitely know it is somebody who drops off their stuff, doesn't get in the pool, and holds the chair for who knows how long as they are somewhere else.

But what about the people who use the pool and have their stuff on a chair? Is it considered hogging the chairs if you use them to put your stuff on while you are playing in the pool a lot.

The reason I ask this is because me and the kids love playing in the pool. I am not a sunbather (I get bored and burnt) nor much of a pool book reader. We only really get out and sit in the chairs to have a bit of break now and then (me more than the kids).

I spend most of my time in the pool. So, I just throw my shoes, shirt, towel in some corner, go sit in the pool, go to the bar, have a beer, go to the pool, repeat often.

If you are not going to be using the chairs, do not take prime seat chairs. Maybe settle one deck above the pool.

If you are not going to be using the chairs, do not take prime seat chairs. Maybe settle one deck above the pool.

I absolutely, 1000% agree with this statement. The chairs are meant for folks who will be using them.......if you don't really plan to use it, get a chair on the deck above and only get one....not one for each of you. :)

I spend most of my time in the pool. So, I just throw my shoes, shirt, towel in some corner, go sit in the pool, go to the bar, have a beer, go to the pool, repeat often.

They have every right to the "prime" chairs if they are available. I would rather have my stuff within eye-sight if I am going to be spending a lot of time in the pool. I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving my camera and iPhone on a different deck unless someone I know was with them.

I would recommend getting one or two chairs for your whole group to share. That way you can rotate in and out of the pool and you still have a place to put your stuff and you aren't "hogging" chairs.

I don't think that what you are describing would be considered a "chair Hog" activity IMHO it's when someone goes to breakfast and leaves their stuff with the intent of coming back mid morning

They have every right to the "prime" chairs if they are available. I would rather have my stuff within eye-sight if I am going to be spending a lot of time in the pool. I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving my camera and iPhone on a different deck unless someone I know was with them.

Well, as I said, my stuff during pool days comprises one tee shirt, one pair of ratty Docksiders, and one towel, all of which get thrown in the far corner.

I would not consider putting that stuff on a chair and denying the use of it to someone that would enjoy the chair.

I would recommend getting one or two chairs for your whole group to share. That way you can rotate in and out of the pool and you still have a place to put your stuff and you aren't "hogging" chairs.

Why not leave your valuables in your cabin? I like the idea of not saving a chair for every person in the group. One or two chairs to put your stuff on should be enough.

Diana

Thanks everyone. We usually only get 1-2 chairs for the four of us when we are at our community pool. My husband is not a big swimmer so he is on one most of the time reading.

It seems that most people don't consider those using the pool to be chair hogs. We will probably get 1-2 chairs somewhat near the pool so we can keep an eye on stuff when my husband gets in and on kids when they sometimes take a break themselves.

No---"using" the lounger entails getting into the pool, taking a short trip to a bar, or bathroom, perhaps standing and talking to a nearby neighbor....you are using the pool area and the chair.

Hogging is when you race up on deck at the crack of dawn, put your towels, books, etc....on chairs that you have NO intention of sitting in for hours and hours!

You are not "hogging" when you are at the pool, doing "pool" things!

You can easily fight back against the "chair hogs" . The best way is to get out earlier than them and claim your chair with your towels & shoes. This way the hogs won't have much to take. This always works for me..

You can easily fight back against the "chair hogs" . The best way is to get out earlier than them and claim your chair with your towels & shoes. This way the hogs won't have much to take. This always works for me..

But then you have become a hog as well..... hog_head_1.jpg

I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you are there at the pool, no one is going to mess with your stuff. Most people are talking about the folks that come at 7 am and set claim to several chairs and then go about the ship doing other things and don't come back until several hours later. It happens but don't let it spoil your fun. It sounds like you're going to have a lot of it.;)

I love watching these people! I am an early riser and since I started cruising in 1982 I have always grabbed a cup of coffee and just sit and watch as the chair hogs each try and beat each other to the best spots.:D

Archived