would you do randi's happy horses?

rsjj

If you want a slower paced horse then when they ask if you've ever riden say no. I made the mistake of saying yes! I do have to say though that my horse was very responsive when I pulled back on him and he went slow after that. Oh and a big hello to Buck! I have to say it was a great pleasure meeting you, please give our best to Randi when you see her!!

The Good Carol & Son

P.S. Couldn't wait to get back to the barn and tell them I finally rode and survived, now they think they're going to get me back in the saddle again!!

Randi and her happy horses are one of the best of 2 shore excursions we have taken in 6 cruises... My daughter and I had a blast! It was a day I will never forget galloping through the coconut groves on my trusty white steed...I think his name was Cloud? Randi and her group are a sheer delight.

Anyway YES go! I am sure they can arrange either you riding doulbe with the little one, a hayride or even a walk through the quaint streets to Victors.

And if someone could please send me Randi's contact info if they could I would appreciate it. EMail me off list please... I have another visit to arrange for November!

Nancy

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! We're just back from the Ryndam and rode with Randi's Happy Horses at our Mazatlan stop last week. Tony was our guide. We loved it! They did a great job picking out a horse for each one of us. There were only 3 of us, and none of us had ridden before. I rode "Deer" and he was the perfect horse. All the horses practically know their own way down the trail, and they hardly required any steering at all. None of our horses went over a light trot. We didn't have any wild galloping incidents! Deer loved to be out front in the lead of all the horses, and whenever he would sense Colorado (my DF's horse) coming up from behind him, he would want to trot a bit to make sure he stayed ahead. All I had to say was "It's OK, go ahead," and he would begin a light trot to stay in front, and when he was safely in front, go back to walking. I loved it!

It was easy to meet Randi off the ship, and then it was two truck rides and a water taxi to the horses. All the staff were very friendly, and I had fun trying out my limited Spanish with Daniel. (Tony, our guide, spoke excellent English.) The beach was beautiful, and, again, our horses were great. They were well-groomed and fed and gentle. I was a little sad to say good bye to Deer. Also, Tony was very helpful in taking our pictures for us so we could all be in the pictures together. He'd line up our horses in a row and snap a few shots for us here and there. I can't wait to see them.

We enjoyed our lunch at Victor's as well. They only thing we could have done without was all the peddling during lunch. But, if you said no, the peddlers would go on their way. There were just a lot of them.

I would love to do Randi's again if our travels ever bring us again to Mazalan.

Happy riding!

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to post my own mini-review of our day last week with Randi, but after reading AlexandNessa's post, there is really nothing I can add! I would HEARTILY encourage anyone of any age to take this 'tour'. We had a very, very lovely day and I would do it again in heartbeat, however my only one little bitty negative comment is that the time at Victor's was too long for us - we were ready to get going quite a bit before Randi and crew were ready to take us back to the 'mainland'. Another time, I think we would arrange our own way back. BTW the shrimp at Victor's is the best I have EVER had - and I've eaten a lot of shrimp!

We used Randi on 4/20/05. I would definitely recommend it as well. (Although my rear-end probably wouldn't! Pretty sore for a few days afterward!) The ride along the beach and through the grove was beautiful! My horse had a mind of his own so he trotted when he wanted and walked when he wanted - I didn't argue with him.

I think some people in our group didn't really care to see the fish being cleaned at the dock just before getting into the boat to go to Stone Island. It didn't bother me at all - I found it quite interesting. I got a kick out of all the pelicans there that were waiting for a bite! Too funny!

My only small negative would be having to tolerate the vendors while sitting at Victor's. If I said "no, gracias" to one, I said it to fifty of them. And it seemed to be the same 5 or 6 that kept approaching us over and over again. Made it hard to enjoy the outstanding food and view. We heard similar complaints from other passengers who just went to the beach on their own. They said the vendors would set up right in front of them.

Other than that, it was great!

I've been reading lots and lots about Randi's Happy Horses, and although horseback riding is not something I'm ever feeling an urge to do, I'm about sold. However... I've ridden probably twice in all my life, am a little bit intimidated by horses and have visions of myself on a horse galloping off into the sunset despite my efforts to make it stand still. So, please reassure me that I have nothing to worry about. Also, can you verify the length/schedule for this trip? How long on the horses each way and how long at the beach?

Thanks.

Now, if I can just get some good solid ideas for what to do in Puerto Vallarta, I'll be set...

Kris - don't be intimidated at all! The horses are lovely - just spunky enough to let you know that they are well cared for and healthy! As far as timing goes it was just last week we were there and I've already forgotten exactly! I do recall that it was 8:30 that we met Randi - waited until 9 for everyone to gather - took the truck, then the boat , then the tractor (all this takes time...)then she pairs you up with a horse and off you go. I would say the actual horse ride was just over an hour - then lunch was well over an hour (too long for us and WAY too many vendors) and then the tractor/boat/truck back. We were back at 2. I had thought we would tour around Maz. for the rest of the day but were exhausted and just did some shopping at the market where Randi drops you off and had a cold drink (badly needed by then!) Hope this wasn't too much info...

(ooops I see I posted under my dh's name...This was Heimlich's dw)

Kris,

You have been twice more on a horse than I had when we went to Randi's the first time. We had the best time, Papa and I, kids and grandkids. It was the highlight of our trip. The first time we went to Mazatlan we took the city tour and were so disappointed - more Diamond stores than I could count, hurry up, get on the bus, get off the bus - Stone Island is a step back in time and we love it. We will go to Mazatlan again just to see Randi and her group, eat at Victors and relax. There are vendors but Randi will shoo them away if you all want her to. Our ride was a bit longer - about an hour and a half and I did not want to leave that beach to go back. We got back around 2 and there is time to shop. Go and tell my friend Randi hello from Jess and Karen. You will love it.

Sharon and I were just there, we like hommebronze, do the Mexician Riveria alot:)

Randi was a regular vendor natzi and then brought down the life guards who are also policemen and the situation got fixed. No more fendors. A not thank you is not enough sometimes. Do it our way, when we are in other Mexican ports, throw sand at them!:D It works. They get confused and leave don't want their stuff ruined.

You could also throw rocks but that probably would not be to nice. If they get pushy they are fair game. Not our job to make them money.

Still pushy, throw a chair. Ya all can tell that I'm sort of a cowboy and when it comes to my vacation time I want to relax.

If nothing else it'll surprise the heck out of them and believe me the word spreads.

Give it a try and have a smile :p on your face when you do.

Have a great cruise. Looks like we, without kids this time, may be on the same cruise with Dobie:eek: That would be fun, eh Rog.

Sharon and Buck Gilbert:cool:

'Sharon or Buck' - you're likely right - we probably were 'too nice' - but throw sand - NEVER!!;)

Really, Sharon, how does one stop the same little girl selling braclets from coming back to you 10 times? You've been there 'lots' more than I and I really am wondering what we could have done??

Kris - we're from Edmonton.

Pretend to throw sand or they will stand there with those sad eyes forever. The smell bad and have options. Their mothers did not have to put them on the beach. and you can bet their mothers are close selling something else.

You guys have to get over it. How many of you give money to the homeless in your home towns?????? I'm guessing none or not many. well why contribute to teaching your kids with a sad look and smelling bad they can make a living.

Look in your own backyards. On the Island it is a scam but I'm guessing not in your town. Well some are but not all.

This is from Sharon who is much more oppinated than Buck

That's a woman for ya.

Sharon and Buck Gilbert

Sharon,

Are you saying they do this as a side job so to speak. I remember when I went on a Caribbean cruise the guide told us that the cost of living was so low there and that they lived just fine but begged because it was extra income. $1.00 was like $20.00 to them. I saddened me to see those little kids begging - how dare their parents do that to them. Where is their childhood. You know more about that area than I. Just curious. Tell Randi HI and HI to Buck!!!

Morriscats,

Yep that seems to be their jobs, but mom is close not to worry, it seems that is the way they earn money to go to school. Sort of a car wash with out the cars to wash.

They only show up during tourist season and then return to the mountains so who really knows. Maybe Mazatlan Frank.He is from here orginally. Might could ask him.:confused:

We sure do't know

Shareon and Buck Gilbert

Sharon, thanks for the insight - I'll try to keep that in mind next time I'm that way. Say hi to Randi and Daniel from us too. We rode with Daniel on Apr 27 and he was GREAT! Kept us laughing the whole time.

You can believe me that we will but the heck I have taken for spelling Sharon's name wrong, sand should be thrown in my face.

We sure were not talking about the little kids with the sand thing. Just the annoying adults who get in your face while you are trying to eat. Boy that makes me an unhappy camper. Sand I say Sand, that is what the are putting in your food. that and head lise-lice however you spell it. I don't consider that extra proteen. A fly here and there or something like that but not head lice. :eek: Don't touch them or anything that they have.

Just advice from someone who had to do the de licing thing with Sharon, who has a lot of hair. Blonde to boot. UUUG you can see the dirty little devels in blonde hair. I'll have nighmares for the rest of my life. Gonna make her change her hair color because of it. LOL LOL But really it can be a problem. Just be careful

Buck and Sharon, got it spelled right this time, Gilbert

Archived