Need picture taking advice

phinn

We are booked with Island Wings in Alaska and I will be taking pictures through the window. DH gave me go ahead to get Nikon Coolpix P100. I'm not real proficient but I want to avoid the glare of the window. Any tricks?

We are booked with Island Wings in Alaska and I will be taking pictures through the window. DH gave me go ahead to get Nikon Coolpix P100. I'm not real proficient but I want to avoid the glare of the window. Any tricks?

At least make sure that your flash is turned off. During the day there should be enough light to take pictures without a flash.

A polarizing filter will cut the glare on non matellic surfaces, that said, some plane windows will produce odd shadows when view thru the filter. I leave the filter on all the time, it protects the lens and is cheaper to replace. The polarizing filter will also bring out the clouds and darken the blue of the sky, play around and you can get some dramatic results. ~ Ric

Great... I'll see if I can buy a filter, and for sure I will place the lens against the window with the flash off. Most important, I will try to get as much practice at home as I can. So excited to try and capture all those fabulous moments!

Check your settings, there may already be a through glass setting. I can't remember what the scene modes are on that one. Get the polarizer, thye do make them as that one is one of the inbetweens for p&s and dSLR.

If links don't work or if you don't want everything else just google search polarizer and your camera model

http://www.amazon.com/Resolution-Fluorescent-Polarizer-Cleaning-ClothFor/dp/B004D0O1V2

http://www.amazon.com/Close-Up-Resolution-Fluorescent-Polarizer-Cleaning/dp/tech-data/B004D0PVHA

My suggestions:

Watch and avoid the reflection of your camera in the window.

Hold the lens close to the window.

If you can, clean the window you will shoot through.

Set the focus on infinity for the long shots.

All I do is hold the camera lens as close to the window as possible ...

LAharborarea.jpg

zIMG_5147.jpg

LongBeachportarea.jpg

zIMG_5148.jpg

Overview.jpg

D11-6.jpg

All except the bottom one were taken with a point and shoot. The bottom one was taken with a DSLR.

All I do is hold the camera lens as close to the window as possible ...

All except the bottom one were taken with a point and shoot. The bottom one was taken with a DSLR.

THANKS for posting this interesting variety of LA-area air pictures. Neat and interesting visuals. The last picture done with your DSLR really shows the difference with a better quality camera. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 38,170 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

We had no issues taking photos from a small plane during an air tour with our basic point and shoot camera back in 2005. I just pointed it out the window and pushed the button. Here are photos from it (click here) and a video is also included in this YouTube video from our pre cruise trip starting about 2 1/2 minutes into this video:

THANKS for posting this interesting variety of LA-area air pictures.

Top picture Los Angeles. 2nd picture Miami. 3rd picture Los Angeles. 4th picture Miami. 5th picture Los Angeles. 6th picture Fort Lauderdale.

Archived