Marina Inside Cabins

chester8

I haven't done so (and haven't been on Marina yet) but I CAN say that many people who opt for inside cabins say that they are never in their cabin. They save money by not opting for a plusher cabin and spend it elsewhere.

Also, they don't have any issues with claustrophobia. (Which I personally do have.)

So those are two considerations for you.

The photographs of Marina's inside cabins that I have seen look very attractive.

I haven't done so (and haven't been on Marina yet) but I CAN say that many people who opt for inside cabins say that they are never in their cabin. They save money by not opting for a plusher cabin and spend it elsewhere.

Also, they don't have any issues with claustrophobia. (Which I personally do have.)

So those are two considerations for you.

The photographs of Marina's inside cabins that I have seen look very attractive.

Thanks Mura,the inside cabins look very nice indeed.Perhaps,I posted the question too soon as the Marina has only 18 of those cabins?

It's never too soon to ask about a cabin that is in limited supply! And since Marina has been sailing for several months now, someone must have specific answers to your question. (Of course, they may not be members of Cruise Critic ...)

chester,

I haven't been in an inside on Marina, but, in 2006, I did sail in an inside cabin on Nautica...

Obviously, most people, including me, prefer balcony cabins or suites...It's nice having extra room and the ability to walk outside directly from your cabin...

But, really, there is nothing wrong with an inside cabin...especially considering the price savings on Oceania is often around $3,000...

All cabins go to the same ports, eat the same food, see the same entertainment...

Sure, on Oceania, there are some slight differences--you may get fewer reservations in the specialty restaurants...or have less to select from as room service breakfast...but, ask yourself if that is worth $3000 to you...

The inside cabins are actually quite nice...the size (174 square feet on Marina) is virtually the same as most outside or balcony cabins (minus the balcony) on most ships...

I usually take a balcony cabin...and find I rarely actually use the balcony...

When I had the Inside on Nautica, I barely noticed...

Most of the time I am in my cabin, I am either sleeping, changing clothes or using the bathroom...and, frankly, during those times, there is no difference...At night, the windows in the cabins with windows, are BLACK anyway...

I DO get claustrohobia in many situations...but, being in a cabin with no window and one of the same size with a black window makes no difference to me...

Yes, there are people who like to spend a lot of time in their cabin--they eat breakfast, room service style, on their balcony, drink on their balcony and spend a lot of their cruise in their cabin...If that is you, you will not like an inside cabin...or, perhaps you just learn to adapt...

If you get up each morning and head out to breakfast, then out into port or about the ship for the day...and you return to change for dinner, then head back out to dinner, then to the show and to various activities around the ship...and come back to your cabin to sleep, then you will be just fine with an Inside cabin...and you can use that $3,000 to extend your vacation by several days of pre- and/or post-cruise or to take some nice tours in port...or to take an additional cruise...

I say, no problem, if it makes sense to YOU to cruise in an inside cabin, go for it...

Our only problem with the one experience we had with an inside cabin (on a different cruise line) was that it was like a dungeon. Unless we had our TV tuned to the channel with the bow camera, we had absolutely no way to determine if 4:00 on the bedside clock was AM -- or PM and we had just wakened from a nap. It was very disorientating, and we vowed at that time to never try it again. Any opening that lets in daylight (or black, at night), even an obstructed view, is better for us than what we experienced that one time. If we can peek out and see what the weather is like before leaving the cabin, that's even better.

...many people who opt for inside cabins say that they are never in their cabin. They save money by not opting for a plusher cabin and spend it elsewhere.

Mura, you just described my husband and me! I haven't been on Marina, but have been on cruises with similar sized cabins with a similar layout.

Here's our opinion: they're small. We couldn't both be moving around at the same time without bumping into one another. For the most part when we were in the room and awake, one person would be sitting in the bed or chair, while the other would be getting ready. It was hard to eat in the room, because we always had junk on the little table. So if we got room service, most likely it was eaten in bed. You can't tell what the weather is like, or even what time of day it is by looking out the window.

Did any of this impact our enjoyment of our cruise? Not at all.

My husband hates getting room service so we rarely eat in the room. He also loves sleeping in a pitch black room, so he prefers not having a window. I prefer having extra money to spend on excursions and souvenirs. We both prefer doing things outside of the room rather than sitting in the room. So for us, the negatives weren't a big deal and the benefits of a larger cabin weren't worth the extra money.

... we had with an inside cabin (on a different cruise line) was that it was like a dungeon...no way to determine if 4:00 on the bedside clock was AM -- or PM and we had just wakened from a nap... It was very disorientating, and we vowed at that time to never try it again.
Is it really that bad? We have not been in an inside room, and so don't have first hand experience, yet. But mindful of our limited means, some day we may want to try insides on mass market lines (e.g. Celebrity), both for the experience and of course to save money!

We have had an inside cabin on HAL (Zuiderdam) and two on RCCL (Grandeur and Monarch). Monarch, being older, was definitely tighter quarters - a little over half the space on Marina insides. The other two cabins were just fine, although still significantly smaller than Marina. We did benefit from having a plug-in night light because they are dark with the lights off (surprise!).

Is it really that bad?

I think it depends on how you react to sunlight (or lack thereof). I have a friend that needs sunlight, she just feels off without it. She could never stay in an inside cabin -- she'd probably agree with the dungeon-y comment. It doesn't bother me at all.

I do find it harder to wake up in an inside cabin, since there is no natural light to signal what time it is. I always set an alarm because of this. Even for sea days when we don't have to get up early, I'll set the alarm for 10 am, just so we don't sleep the day away!

I agree with the nightlight recommendation. I'd imagine it would be hard to find your way to the bathroom in the middle of the night the inside cabins! DH, who as I mentioned before likes the room pitch black, won't let me use the nightlight. I'd fight him on it, but I don't usually need to get up at night!

Is it really that bad? We have not been in an inside room, and so don't have first hand experience, yet. But mindful of our limited means, some day we may want to try insides on mass market lines (e.g. Celebrity), both for the experience and of course to save money!

It's really that bad for us -- you'd have to find out for yourselves. We're usually very tolerant -- but that was a line in the sand for us.

We took inside cabins years ago when we took our kids on holiday cruises. Some of the rooms had curtains along one wall so it appeared that a window was behind it. We had no problem with the room and enjoyed the savings which enabled us to travel on great vacations. Now we are older, and are planning a cruise next year with our children and grandchidlren. Since each of our sons' families need two connecting rooms we have to take five outside cabins on the ship we selected but our sons said they would not have minded inside cabins had connecting rooms been available. Though I personally prefer an outside room, the inside cabins on Marina looks very nice and roomy for the price. Go for it!

Why can't the cruise lines have a light switch that mimics sunrise for inside cabins? Those who want no light can leave the light off but for many people having 'virtual window light' might make the inside cabins more appealling.

Why can't the cruise lines have a light switch that mimics sunrise for inside cabins? Those who want no light can leave the light off but for many people having 'virtual window light' might make the inside cabins more appealling.

That type of lighting circuit was installed in ships as early as the 1950's.

It was particularly popular in long haul immigrant ships that had a great many inside cabins (maybe too many people were missing breakfast?).

For whatever reason, after a huge introduction, passengers thought that the "graduated lighting" was gimmicky and it never really caught on.

Is it really that bad???

NO!!

It is a 174 square foot cabin--pretty typical size of ANY non-suite cabin on any cruise line...

It is decorated and laid out much the same as any onther guest cabin on the ship...

It is neither cramped not uncomfortable...at least not any more cramped or uncomfortable as any other cabin...

Certainly not a "dungeon"...

The only difference is that there is no window or balcony...

At night time, ALL of the cabins are pretty much black, window or not...

During daylight hours, you may be in port or out and about around the ship...

Many who sail in inside cabins like the trick of leaving the TV on, tuned to the channel with the bridge camera...It's fairly dark at night and lightens as the sun rises...Sort of a window to the outside. I've just set a wake-up call each night. If you think you might have a problem finding the bathroom at night (and this would be the same issue if you were in a window cabin--they are all dark at night), then go to Home Depot and buy a small nightlight for about $2...

And, if you miss the natural light, just think about the $3,000 you saved...

Seriously, those inside cabins are very nice...as are all of the cabins on Oceania...

There is absolutely nothing wrong with them...

If it fits your budget and allows you to cruise, then go with it...

I agree with all the points from Bruin Steve. We have had a number of inside cabins on different ships and there has not been a problem. In fact, it was a distinct advantage on our Scandinavian cruise when people were complaining that there were very few hours of darkness and they couldn't get to sleep/ or woke up too early.

We generally look at the itinerary and the price differential. If it is a port intensive itinerary then you really are not going to be in your cabin much at all. If there are a number of days at sea and you are traversing a canal or going to the fiords then it probably is worth paying extra to have a balcony. So that is more or less what we do now - either an inside cabin or a balcony in a good position. As has been said before, an inside cabin has the same area as the cheaper outside cabins and everything else is the same re dining, entertainment etc. I believe you get the same number of reservations for the speciality restaurants as the cheaper outside cabins.

By choosing inside cabins we have been able to go on a lot more cruises so there really is no competition IMHO.

By the way I always take a torch!

Sweep

Our only problem with the one experience we had with an inside cabin (on a different cruise line) was that it was like a dungeon. Unless we had our TV tuned to the channel with the bow camera, we had absolutely no way to determine if 4:00 on the bedside clock was AM -- or PM and we had just wakened from a nap. It was very disorientating, and we vowed at that time to never try it again. Any opening that lets in daylight (or black, at night), even an obstructed view, is better for us than what we experienced that one time. If we can peek out and see what the weather is like before leaving the cabin, that's even better.

Did you see that on Disney ships (not sure which ones), the inside cabins have a "window" that is really a video monitor hooked up a live view of the outside. Of course this doesn't bring in natural light, but it will give visual cues to what is going on outside. I thought that was a way cool idea especially since I am one of those who probably can't afford a veranda cabin. On our one and only cruise to date (Ryndam), we did get a cabin with a window, but we were in Alaska and figured there would be something to see. Am much looking forward to an Oceania cruise for our next cruise, although that will have to wait for at least a year.

Would anyone who has stayed in an inside cabin,please share their experience?

We have taken Inside cabins twice. I personally prefer a balcony since I just feel there is no way to

"air out" the cabin, and it makes me claustrophobic. .My husband of 53 years, couldn't care less where he sleeps. But I get up early, like some extra space in the cabin, a bigger bath room, and more closet space. That said, it certainly did not have any effect on how much we enjoyed the cruise, the tours, the friendships made, the food, etc. I also like a comfortable chair in the cabin. Most inside, and even many balcony rooms, only have a sofa...not good for reading. We never eat breakfast in the cabin..not ever., so that is not an issue.

. Some take an inside cabin to save money, others we know, who are extremely wealthy, just like the darkness... and simply don't see any advantage to the bigger cabin. We have friends who take round the world tours for months at a time, every year, and the cheapest cabin available. . They have a wonderful time, make lots of friends, and see the world. Who can ask for anything more?

Either way, don't spend more than you can afford.. enjoy the ports you stop in and spend what you save on things you'll enjoy after you get home.

Bethin is really on target. These days we tend to book suite travel and if I could coerce Mr. Tightwad into only OS or VS, that's what we'd do. But as it is, we do PH on Oceania most of the time.

But in our younger days we booked the cheapest cabins we could find. I don't think we had inside cabins but pretty close. Our June '90 cruise to Alaska on Princess had a porthole and bunkbeds. I believe that our first class deluxe cabin on Bergen Lines in 1975 (Bergen to North Cape and back) WAS inside -- it was first class deluxe because we had a bathroom en suite. Those didn't bother me back then, but it's been since then that claustrophobia has become a factor. But on that cruise there wasn't such a thing as an outside cabin, let alone a veranda cabin.

But never, EVER, pay more for a cabin than you really want or need because you think it will give you more status. No one cares!

Would anyone who has stayed in an inside cabin,please share their experience?

Thank you very much to everyone who replied.The resposes from Mura,Bruin Steve,Mrs Duffy and Sweep were very helpful indeed.

We had inside cabin 8080 on the Marina's Colonial Crossing. This room has another inside cabin to the right and some type of ship interior space on the left. I asked and was told that it was next to an electrical area, but we could often hear water at night, almost like a waterfall. The layout is the same as shown in the pictures on Oceania's website. As you come in the door, the closets were on the right and the bathroom on the left. Once past the bathroom area, the dresser was on the left and a chair and table against the wall on the right. As you came through the door, the bed's headboard was on the opposite wall and two small nightstands on each side. The bed was extremely comfortable with very soft, nice bedding. We found the closet to be plenty roomy (even when requesting additional coat hangers). As others have mentioned, the drawers are shallow, but were adequate for us. The TV is on the outside of the bathroom wall and was the nicest we've seen on a ship. Overall, the bathroom is very tiny and the shower was extremely small. I was surprised that the shower was not even rectangular shaped, but smaller at the end with the shower head and a little larger at the other end. It is all very cozy but quite doable for those not spending much time in the room. Nancy2406

Nancy 2406,Thank you for your reply,did the noise of the water make sleeping more difficult? I ask that because my cabin is directly above yours.

No - we had no problem sleeping. We generally heard it around 9-10 pm and were just curious as to the cause of the noise. Enjoy your cruise.

Archived