Butler Service

djhsolara

I have asked this question before but have not had an answer so hoping this post will do the trick.

If you order dinner in your suite how is the food temprature? If I wanted a soup then a main course how can the food be kept hot whilst you are finishing your first course ? Do they have a hostess type trolley with hot plates ?

Thanks

Scotslizzy

Do they have docking stations......Ipod takes up less room than CD's.......but I definitely like the idea of a little Nora Jones pre-dinner music. :)

No docking station, but it's a Bose system that's mounted to the wall. The sound is great!

Anita

If you sign up for gratuities to be added to your onboard account, the butler will get at least $3.50 per day that you are on your cruise.

When I present my list to my butler and we discuss it, I always give him some money in advance, and indicate that there is more where that came from, depending upon how well he completes my list. And at the end of the cruise he always gets that extra amount, as he almost always exceeds my expectations.

Sometimes, during the cruise, I may hand certain folks who are doing an exceptional job some lucky bucks to spend in ports along the way. Normally, by the end of the second day, I know who is cutting the mustard, and who isn't.

Everyone has his or her own system. If this is your first time having a butler, determine how much or little you want him to do for you, and then decide if he is earning the minimum amount or if more is in order. I sent you my list; I always expect to pay more.

How much would you give up front?

A butler is much more than a glorified steward, they are there to take care of YOU, while the steward is there to take care of the cabin. This is actually one of the perks that keeps us coming back to Celebrity! I must warn you though, once you have cruised with a butler it can be difficult to adjust to not having one on your next cruise!!

Think of things (within reason) that would add to your cruising experience that you enjoy and simply ask your butler. Perhaps you would like a bridge tour or galley tour- just ask and they will do all they can to make it happen. Perhaps you would like a particular snack or drink every day delivered to the room, simply ask and it is done! For example, every night before dinner I would have our butler bring us 2 orders of escargot and fresh baked bread to our suite to enjoy with some wine while getting ready. Every morning he would set our table and bring us a full breakfast in our suite with anything we wanted (egg white omlette and diet coke was my fix). He also would ask each morning if we needed any of our clothes pressed that we planned on wearing each evening and would have them back in the closet by the afternoon. If you want or need to book spa or shore excursions, they can handle all this for you rather than you having to go to the desk and wait in line. Well, I think you get the point... In a word they are WONDERFUL:)

OK, I'm glad I've never had a butler. I'm not sure I could every go back to a 'normal' stateroom after that experience.

Thanks for the e-mail bb530. You are a great source of information and a very enjoyable read!

I am hoping that in the Bose system that they may allow for auxillary inputs so that we may bring our ipod (with all of our music) and plug in.

Thank you diligaf51n for the tip on croissants......certainly a strong coffee, some berries and some fresh croissants will be enjoyed at our dining table on the verandah in the AM. :)

Thanks for the e-mail bb530. You are a great source of information and a very enjoyable read!

I am hoping that in the Bose system that they may allow for auxillary inputs so that we may bring our ipod (with all of our music) and plug in.

Thank you diligaf51n for the tip on croissants......certainly a strong coffee, some berries and some fresh croissants will be enjoyed at our dining table on the verandah in the AM. :)

...and I'm thinking cappachino (or mimosa!) smoked salmon on a toasted bagel, and waffles with fresh berries on our verandah.... :D

(DD is still holding out hope that she'll be able to have some crepes... lol)

• 2 weeks later...

One other question for previous suite guests.....has anyone contacted Celebrity prior to cruise to arrange a sailaway party. Is one able to contact the ship and let the butler know our wishes for departure? Thank you for any information.

Hi Siinging Mom! Have an absolutely wonderful vacation and remember to post....how great the mimosas were at say.....9 Am....really the potatoes are boiling somewhere in the world! :)

Edited by Dr. Pam

We had our first suite experience on Summit and loved it. Our butler Bart was very kind and eager to assist. I really looked forward to afternoon tea service, served with cappuccinos from Cova Cafe. One evening when I wasn't

Feeling well, Bart brought me cheese and fruit plates to our suite...a very nice thoughtful gesture. Here he is serving tea:

p><p>We

Hes there as much or as little as you would like, and he was always going above and beyond since day one with him. He has done so many amazing things for us. On our honeymoon, just this past year, he recognized us from two previous trips, and we ready to mobilize on what he knew we enjoyed. He really outdid himself, he knew how much we enjoyed dinning on our HUGE veranda (SS 6146 penthouse deck, right next to the penthouse suite) he set up a candle lit dinner, saxophone player and all, with lots of delish treats from normandie and the mdr. He spoiled us rotten. We had two interactions with the captain (both for dinner and at the navigation deck). On previous cruises he got us in for galley tours, arranged get together in our suite. He knew my wife works in the food industry and always went above and beyond by dropping off little bits of food throughout the day. Breakfast was prompt, by the third cruise (we were onboard for 12 days) he didnt take our breakfast order, it just showed up, he got to know our preferences so well.

He's given us a ship cell phone, although we did not stay in the penthouse suite, just to be sure. He consistently would meet us at the gangway if he knew we were returning from a scheduled tour, boom, he was there with another set of refreshing towels, bottled water. It was really amazing. He would arrange for specific seating in the MDR, excursions, etc.

Eventually we got to know him, and a little about his family. He really works so hard, on top of always being on call, he runs the most prestigious area of the ship (penthouse deck), but he always made us seem like we were #1.

One other question for previous suite guests.....has anyone contacted Celebrity prior to cruise to arrange a sailaway party. Is one able to contact the ship and let the butler know our wishes for departure? Thank you for any information.

Anyone?

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned yesterday.... have tons of laundry and errands to tackle, but will be back in a few days with a review and some butler service reflections... If you have any specific questions in the meantime, I will try to answer if I can. I know I appreciated any help or suggestions I received prior to our cruise in a Royal Suite...

I hope to get to the review within the week... :)

Dr Pam, I had plenty of time this past November to get my sailaway party stocked with booze and snacks; to get bowls for the snacks folks were bringing to the party; to have adequate ice and glasses set up; and even to get our banner hung for the sailaway group wave. Oh yes, asked for a little help putting the luggage in the closets, out of the way of the 100 or so folks that were expected (and showed up!!)

I boarded at about 1:30, and immediately met with my butler. Then, and only then, did I grab a little lunch and prep for the lifeboat drill.

When I returned from the drill, with about 25 folks in tow, the cabin was ready, and the party began....

Edited by bellybutton530

Just returned yesterday.... have tons of laundry and errands to tackle, but will be back in a few days with a review and some butler service reflections... If you have any specific questions in the meantime, I will try to answer if I can. I know I appreciated any help or suggestions I received prior to our cruise in a Royal Suite...

I am hoping to hear about all the details... Thanks. Good luck with the laundry!!!

Dr Pam, I had plenty of time this past November to get my sailaway party stocked with booze and snacks; to get bowls for the snacks folks were bringing to the party; to have adequate ice and glasses set up; and even to get our banner hung for the sailaway group wave. Oh yes, asked for a little help putting the luggage in the closets, out of the way of the 100 or so folks that were expected (and showed up!!)

I boarded at about 1:30, and immediately met with my butler. Then, and only then, did I grab a little lunch and prep for the lifeboat drill.

When I returned from the drill, with about 25 folks in tow, the cabin was ready, and the party began....[/quote

Bellybutton.....I can hardly wait!!!

Looking forward to your review as we have a Royal booked for August.

Why employ just a regular butler for all those services, I mean that is so old hat. Instead I take all my staff from home with me as their services are specifically tailored to my tastes and requirements.

With my entourage, I bring along my head of domestic services to ensure my cabin, sorry I mean "stateroom" is suitable, airy and to my tastes. She arranges all the storage spaces and unpacks my clothes. She even arranges those toiletries in particular order for me and puts the toilet roll back on the holder when I leave it on the more accessible shelf.

My therapist, comes with to listen to me complain about the rain at home and the heat on holiday and the bar prices. She engages in discussions and often presents alternative opinions to my own, often insisting hers are right.

My personal chef and nutritionist accompanies me to advise me on what food I like and dislike. Even if I insist I like a particular ingredient, she will reconfirm my standing. She also keeps count of all those "cruise calories" and reminds me about our dining plans with suggestions like "a hot dog now? We have dinner in an hour".

My cleaner is here to, inspecting the cleanliness of the room, checking for dust in the bedroom and mold in the bathroom. She will also adjust my pillows and set the air con to the opposite temperature I enjoy.

My secretary tells me where I would like to tour, shop and site see. She will then book all my excursions. She also accompanies me to the evening shows, selecting the seats she thinks I will be most comfortable in, often providing accurate critiques of each act and re-enacting the once funny jokes that may have been freshly discovered hours earlier.

My fashion guru advises me that my neon orange t-shirt is not appropriate for casual wear in front of anyone without a welders mask, and that tonight I should wear the dark gray shirt with my smart new trousers (pants) as very dark gray is the new black, despite my having excellent experience of dressed myself for many many years.

My personal massage and well being therapy expert is there to relax me at the end of a tiresome day basking in the sun sipping cool drinks. Quite often she will adopt anger management techniques and diffuse tense situations where I may spot large charges by surprise on our room account for spa treatments that are a load of old cobblers and don't actually do anything except drain ones finances.

My financial adviser is there to keep track of what she ummmm we spend and to examine and asses the super deals that Celebrity put in front of us. All those things we can't do without.

Lastly I bring my chauffeur to drive me from the port, back home. Often giving commentaries such as, "this time last week it was 89 degrees" or "no MDR with a sexy maitrade tonight".

(I wonder how many people will realise I'm just joking and never treat Mrs 2010 with such disrespect).

I see some gap in your entourage (I think)

Firstly there is your medical adviser who carries the relevant potions and advises you when you think you have contracted the plague that it is manflu or the result of your previous indulgences

There is your security guard, who ensures you leave the Martini Bar without incident when you have failed to listen to your other advisers and have used the services of the bar a little longer than advisable

And your Diplomat who resolves any international incidents you actually stumble into along the trip as a result of you going off the script provided by your other advisers

Another poster asked twice regarding: does the Butler keep the food 'hot' when serving it in courses OR does he - is the food just served 'lukewarm' instead?

I wld also really like to know this please.

Really hope someone knows the answer.

Thanks in advance..:)

Another poster asked twice regarding: does the Butler keep the food 'hot' when serving it in courses OR does he - is the food just served 'lukewarm' instead?

I wld also really like to know this please.

Really hope someone knows the answer.

Thanks in advance..:)

There is a microwave oven in the PH suites on "M"-class ships. My butler used it to ensure the food was hot when it was served.

I can't speak to the other suites; sorry.

why employ just a regular butler for all those services, i mean that is so old hat. Instead i take all my staff from home with me as their services are specifically tailored to my tastes and requirements.

With my entourage, i bring along my head of domestic services to ensure my cabin, sorry i mean "stateroom" is suitable, airy and to my tastes. She arranges all the storage spaces and unpacks my clothes. She even arranges those toiletries in particular order for me and puts the toilet roll back on the holder when i leave it on the more accessible shelf.

My therapist, comes with to listen to me complain about the rain at home and the heat on holiday and the bar prices. She engages in discussions and often presents alternative opinions to my own, often insisting hers are right.

My personal chef and nutritionist accompanies me to advise me on what food i like and dislike. Even if i insist i like a particular ingredient, she will reconfirm my standing. She also keeps count of all those "cruise calories" and reminds me about our dining plans with suggestions like "a hot dog now? We have dinner in an hour".

My cleaner is here to, inspecting the cleanliness of the room, checking for dust in the bedroom and mold in the bathroom. She will also adjust my pillows and set the air con to the opposite temperature i enjoy.

My secretary tells me where i would like to tour, shop and site see. She will then book all my excursions. She also accompanies me to the evening shows, selecting the seats she thinks i will be most comfortable in, often providing accurate critiques of each act and re-enacting the once funny jokes that may have been freshly discovered hours earlier.

My fashion guru advises me that my neon orange t-shirt is not appropriate for casual wear in front of anyone without a welders mask, and that tonight i should wear the dark gray shirt with my smart new trousers (pants) as very dark gray is the new black, despite my having excellent experience of dressed myself for many many years.

My personal massage and well being therapy expert is there to relax me at the end of a tiresome day basking in the sun sipping cool drinks. Quite often she will adopt anger management techniques and diffuse tense situations where i may spot large charges by surprise on our room account for spa treatments that are a load of old cobblers and don't actually do anything except drain ones finances.

My financial adviser is there to keep track of what she ummmm we spend and to examine and asses the super deals that celebrity put in front of us. All those things we can't do without.

Lastly i bring my chauffeur to drive me from the port, back home. Often giving commentaries such as, "this time last week it was 89 degrees" or "no mdr with a sexy maitrade tonight".

(i wonder how many people will realise i'm just joking and never treat mrs 2010 with such disrespect).

lol................