Butler Service

djhsolara

Dr Pam, I had plenty of time this past November to get my sailaway party stocked with booze and snacks; to get bowls for the snacks folks were bringing to the party; to have adequate ice and glasses set up; and even to get our banner hung for the sailaway group wave. Oh yes, asked for a little help putting the luggage in the closets, out of the way of the 100 or so folks that were expected (and showed up!!)

I boarded at about 1:30, and immediately met with my butler. Then, and only then, did I grab a little lunch and prep for the lifeboat drill.

When I returned from the drill, with about 25 folks in tow, the cabin was ready, and the party began....

And what a great (Sparkly) party it was! :D

Thank you Alison. That party will be difficult to replicate. The Connie Sparklers were indeed a great bunch of folks.

Tell Jim I said hi....

Cheryl,

Jim says hi back to you. Still have very fond memories of our Connie Sparkler friends. Don't think we will be able to beat that one!

Hope you and your little darlings are well (I mean the cats!):D

Another poster asked twice regarding: does the Butler keep the food 'hot' when serving it in courses OR does he - is the food just served 'lukewarm' instead?

I wld also really like to know this please.

Really hope someone knows the answer.

Thanks in advance..:)

Last week we had dinner in our Royal Suite - food was lukewarm and served all at one time. However, we DID order later in the evening, so that might have been why it was delivered soup to nuts at the same time.

• 4 weeks later...

Bumping this thread because I noticed someone else asking about Butler service on the first page and in the hopes of Bellybutton being willing to help out another newbie to butlers by email.

We were in a CS on the Equinox back in May and our butler was amazing. We are simple people so didn't ask for a whole lot at all, but he did notice that we liked a few things every day so he made sure we had them. For instance, he noticed we ate more bananas than the other fruit so made sure we had them fresh every day. He noticed that we read the USA news so made sure that was in our cabin every day. He would set up our breakfast in the morning inside and/or outside depending on the wind and weather (it was a TA cruise). Little things.

When he first came into our cabin he had already been to another CS and they gave him a list (pages) of special requests. We were easy compared to them. I just wondered what all was on the list:)

We liked the CS so much that we have booked it again for our TA 2012 cruise and our 2013 Antartica cruise. Can't wait!

We will be sailing for the first time in a sky suite with a butler. On previous cruises, every time we had room service we would give the server $2 or $3. With a butler when you tip at the end of the cruise, are you also expected to give a gratuity every time? I would think not but what does everyone else do? Trish

Bumping this thread because I noticed someone else asking about Butler service on the first page and in the hopes of Bellybutton being willing to help out another newbie to butlers by email.

BB present and accounted for. I just replied to a couple of emails about butler service, and made a few additions to the list....

Edited by bellybutton530

Expect nothing, and you might be okay. After reading about Celebrity Butler service, I was excited about sailing in a penthouse on the infinity in May. What a joke. the so called butler did nothing, NOTHING. I have had better service flying coach on a plane with just one cabin attendant. I had the first butler replace when he refused do even lift a finger. He would not make a dinner reservation for me, but just indicted the telephone. A cabin steward is more efficient than the butler. I am sure I will take flack from all the Celebrity lovers out there, and I am glad some people managed to get a decent butler. My experience was horrible, and I will never sail Celebrity again. Expect nothing, and perhaps you will be satisfied.

Expect nothing, and you might be okay. After reading about Celebrity Butler service, I was excited about sailing in a penthouse on the infinity in May. What a joke. the so called butler did nothing, NOTHING. I have had better service flying coach on a plane with just one cabin attendant. I had the first butler replace when he refused do even lift a finger. He would not make a dinner reservation for me, but just indicted the telephone. A cabin steward is more efficient than the butler. I am sure I will take flack from all the Celebrity lovers out there, and I am glad some people managed to get a decent butler. My experience was horrible, and I will never sail Celebrity again. Expect nothing, and perhaps you will be satisfied.

Sorry about your experience. You did not mention if you gave him a gratuity in the end...I don't think I would of and I would have reported his lack of expected service to management.

This is our first time on Celebrity and in a suite so I've been reading about the suite services. Have I understood correctly that there is a suite steward in addition to the butler? If so, I just can't wait for December as this sounds amazing. Thanks to everyone who has posted as we are learning so much about our upcoming cruise.

This is our first time on Celebrity and in a suite so I've been reading about the suite services. Have I understood correctly that there is a suite steward in addition to the butler? If so, I just can't wait for December as this sounds amazing. Thanks to everyone who has posted as we are learning so much about our upcoming cruise.

You betcha!!! If you have a Celebrity brochure it tells you what types of services the butler provides for suite guests. It is also on line on Celebrity's Website. Besides the minimum services other services are available upon request. Both Cheryl and I have but together a shared butler list. Some of the items are just plain silly...but it would give you an idea of what can be provided. I am sure I will modify the list before handing it to the butler. Don't think Cheryl would mind if I sent you our shared list via email. If interested my e-mail is shaffar1@sbcglobal.net

Bob

We will be sailing for the first time in a sky suite with a butler. On previous cruises, every time we had room service we would give the server $2 or $3. With a butler when you tip at the end of the cruise, are you also expected to give a gratuity every time? I would think not but what does everyone else do? Trish

Setting up meals for you is part of the butlers duties. If you do it regularly you may wish to give him a little extra at the end of the cruise but that is entirely up to you

I do worry about all these lists being handed to butlers. On a previous cruise our butler who was very good was just weighed down by requests from three othe suites for things we expected to do ourselves (for example go and get them cookies from the cafe twice a day). I think we should also be careful of the demands we make of the butlers for extras on embarkation day as this does impact on the service they can give others - after all the butler has over 12 suites to look after if each expect an hour of his time, no wonder some people post they never saw their butler on embarkation

I do worry about all these lists being handed to butlers. On a previous cruise our butler who was very good was just weighed down by requests from three othe suites for things we expected to do ourselves (for example go and get them cookies from the cafe twice a day). I think we should also be careful of the demands we make of the butlers for extras on embarkation day as this does impact on the service they can give others - after all the butler has over 12 suites to look after if each expect an hour of his time, no wonder some people post they never saw their butler on embarkation

I had the same concerns when I read of the lists being emailed around. I immediately thought that I hoped that I was not on the same cruise as anyone using such a list.

It is important to remember that your butler is there to make YOUR cruise great by doing what is important to YOU. You do this by requesting the services YOU feel are important and NOT what anyone else may have dreamt up. It you do not think of it yourself, does it actually matter to you? If you put unfair demands on your butler, not only may he have to neglect other suite guests but he will be totally unable to surprise you by doing the little things which you had never dreamt of and that can really make your cruise.

Sue

Setting up meals for you is part of the butlers duties. If you do it regularly you may wish to give him a little extra at the end of the cruise but that is entirely up to you

So, by handing a butler a list is taking up an hour of his time? I don't think so. I find a list useful, as it merely gives him a snapshot of my preferences. On my most recent cruise there were days when I hardly saw the butler. Yet almost everything on my list was completed seamlessly.

I had the same concerns when I read of the lists being emailed around. I immediately thought that I hoped that I was not on the same cruise as anyone using such a list.

It is important to remember that your butler is there to make YOUR cruise great by doing what is important to YOU. You do this by requesting the services YOU feel are important and NOT what anyone else may have dreamt up. It you do not think of it yourself, does it actually matter to you? If you put unfair demands on your butler, not only may he have to neglect other suite guests but he will be totally unable to surprise you by doing the little things which you had never dreamt of and that can really make your cruise.

Sue

I agree wit what you say as well. However, there are many people who do not even know what a butler is there for. Having said that, it is important for folks to remember that what is important to ONE is not important to ALL. When I sailed in a suite my first time, I was absolutely clueless as to what the butler was for. No more.

And I do use a list, as I don't always remember everything on embarkation day. We chat for about 5 minutes; I hand him the list; and I am on my merry way.

Even though I was in the PH on my past cruise, I don't think I HOGGED the butler. I had no need to constantly be 'in-his-face....'

But then, that is me.

Sue

You are so right Sue.

And whilst handing the list over may be quick for some, less so with others, for example the butler will be clarifying things etc. On our last Celebrity embarkation we overheard our butler being detained for almost 45 minutes as he tried to address a long list of items and deal with social chat.

Rather than hand the list over, I would suggest verbally highlighting anything critical, exceptional and immediate when you first meet and pick up anything else at a later stage, but you may find the butler will have already anticipated your needs anyway and might he not feel a little put out by being handed a list which he might read into it that you do not trust him to anticipate your needs.

I think it is reasonably clear on the website what the butler will do and I am happy to wait for surprises, even after all our trips, they do indeed manage to do so.

I do however worry seriously about expectations that a butler will get items ready for a sailaway party on Day One when he has so much else to do. I think requests like that should be declined except where prior arrangements have been made through Head Office so that the butler can have the back up from other staff that he will require and have made arrangements with the catering team etc. I certainly have first hand experience of very poor service from a butler on Day one and we were about to raise it with Heike when we realised the bulter was having to ignore all his other suites as he was trying to look after one sailaway party for 25 people and another two for 12. I appreciate some may not agree with this sentiment, but I think there is a compromise through the cruiseline requiring prior arrangements to be made.

Having a VERY good friend who is a butler for X, I have been reading these threads with interest even tho I have never had a butler & never will (I like to sail on the cheap in an interior!).

One thing I'd like to remind everyone is that the butlers alternate being "on call" in the afternoons. So, while they each have their own cabins to attend to in the AM, PM & tea times, they have MANY cabins to attend to if need be while they're on call. For example, if a butler has 13 suites & there are 3 butlers with suites on a deck, then they have 34-36 suites to see to when they are on call.

Having a VERY good friend who is a butler for X, I have been reading these threads with interest even tho I have never had a butler & never will (I like to sail on the cheap in an interior!).

One thing I'd like to remind everyone is that the butlers alternate being "on call" in the afternoons. So, while they each have their own cabins to attend to in the AM, PM & tea times, they have MANY cabins to attend to if need be while they're on call. For example, if a butler has 13 suites & there are 3 butlers with suites on a deck, then they have 34-36 suites to see to when they are on call.

Precisely why I give my butler a list to work from.

None of that hollering down the passageway for or at him, as I have seen other passengers do.

And I don't have him fetching things that I can fetch for myself. A list is merely a way of indicating what is important to me. Once and done; I like that....

But, do feel free to handle your butler as you see fit.

I made a list - and it was for me. lol I wanted to make sure I asked all the questions I had so as not to go looking for him! I wanted to make certain I knew how the outside hot tub and the inside jacuzzi tub worked, how to adjust the air, turn on the tv, dvd, and computer, and if I could have cushions for the lounges. I asked if that bar set up was indeed "included" or if I opened that very generous-sized bottle of Absolute and Dewars, would I be charged $100 each. lol (I was clueless that the bar set up came with the Royal Suite!)

I left him a note one afternoon to thank him, that my daughter enjoyed the special cookies he left, and after that, each day there was a selection of cookies along with the tea sandwiches.

I think lists are good for both sides. :p

A nice Thank You note is appreciated, as is a completed 'Attention to Detail" form.

I usually grab a handful of them early on in the cruise, and turn them in AS I experience excellent service.

Some of my past recipients have been a certain person in the buffet line who regularly cooks my eggs to order; or the beauty shop person who did a wonderful job on my hair; or the security person who helped me up the gangway.

I never leave home without some nice Thank You notes and cute money holders stashed in my suitcase.

A nice Thank You note is appreciated, as is a completed 'Attention to Detail" form.

I usually grab a handful of them early on in the cruise, and turn them in AS I experience excellent service.

Some of my past recipients have been a certain person in the buffet line who regularly cooks my eggs to order; or the beauty shop person who did a wonderful job on my hair; or the security person who helped me up the gangway.

I never leave home without some nice Thank You notes and cute money holders stashed in my suitcase.

TO BELLYBUTTON530,

These are great TIPS... thanks for sharing!!

Will keep them in mind for my upcoming cruise.

Cheers!