First Silversea Cruise

katzoe

This is my first post & I would like some information regarding Silver Shadow

please?

I will be travelling on Silver Shadow on 22 November from Dubai to Singapore.

I have previously been on 27 cruises & have particularly enjoyed Holland America & Crystal. The ships on both these lines have very nice lounges/bars

located forward, on high decks with wonderful 180 degree views, namely Crows Nest & Palm Court respectively.

I notice on the Silver Shadow deck plan that there is an Observation Lounge on Deck 10. I cannot find a photo of this area or any information about it.

Can someone please inform me of its use? I would also be grateful to receive any other information or advise about Silversea in general & Silver Shadow

in particular.

Happy Cruising

Lorraine

Enjoy your cruise.

Loads of SS images (intended for the press rather than the public hence no links to it on their website) are located at:

http://www.silversea.com/Image_Library/Library_new.asp

I've found a picture of the Panorama lounge for you at:

http://www.silversea.com/Image_Library/images/thumbs/ss3279.jpg

You'll get lot's of help and information here about SS, but I suggest that rather than asking for "information about SS in general and Shadow in particular" that you firstly spend 30 minutes or so working down the threads or searching on "shadow" and then post any specific questions you have following your intitial research.

Hope it's useful

Jeff

I notice on the Silver Shadow deck plan that there is an Observation Lounge on Deck 10.... Can someone please inform me of its use?
Yes, it's high and forward; but not right at the front or the edge, so there is an outside deck in front of it and on both sides. The view is not as good as some other ships where you have floor-to-ceiling glass right on the edge of the ship. It's slightly awkward to get to -- nearly all the other public areas of the ship are aft, not forward. Main uses are as a fairly cosy, quiet inside area with plenty of natural light; an area into which to escape when approaching port in the early morning when there's a cold breeze; some spa activities such as small-group talks seem to overspill into this area in the day time too.

Thanks to uk1, jgibbs & simonv for your informative responses.

The web site with the photo gallery is particularly useful Jeff.

I will take your advice & research previous postings more dilligently.

Lorraine

In the morning coffee, juice and sweet rolls are set up, or am I confusing it with the Panorama Lounge?
Yes, they do that in both the Observation and Panorama lounges.

The Observation lounge also has a repeater from the ship's GPS, showing the ship's position on a moving map.

Thanks to uk1, jgibbs & simonv for your informative responses.

The web site with the photo gallery is particularly useful Jeff.

I will take your advice & research previous postings more dilligently.

Lorraine

Lorraine,

Glad you found the picture library helpful.

Re searching first then asking.

I only say this not to sound unhelpful but because if you think ahead just year or two, it will be impossible to search and find anything on any usenet, newsgroup or forum if every question gets repeated. At the moment it's just about possible to use search functions and have manageable numbers of reslult threads to read through to find the answer to almost any question in a reasonable way. But if everyone simply repeats the same questions over and over again without searching first, then the number of duplicates will proliferate exponentially with very little useful incremental and new information in each thread. It is therefore better to build a single thread on a single topic than start thousands of new ones.

Now, if you do a general search on almost any subject an almost manageable number of threads will be thrown up. But if we all carry on not searching first- I suggest you visualise the effect of what we ourselves are doing to these valuable resources which will become UNusable in less than a year and I predict then that everyone will be forced to ask the same questions because searching will be impossible. Also the people with the most knowledge - who are the most valuable resource - will get fed up repeating themselves to people that "appear" not to be bothered about a very small amount of ground work. So these resources take a double hit. It will self-destruct.

My heart is defintely in the right place on this subject of search then ask I promise.

Hope that explains why I always suggest to people that they search then ask.

Jeff

If I remember right there is no bar at the Observation lounge. There is a bar in the Panorama lounge. I believe the Panorama is on the 8th floor while the Observation is on the 10th. Both are nice places to enjoy a sunset, or the areas right outside them.

Hi All,

I must say, UK1 is right about the search function. When I first joined the Board, I loved going to the "Ports of Call" threads. Now they are simply boaring for the most part. This is because people ask the same ?????s over and over. Additionally, if someone offers suggestions, maps etc. you end up with a thread of requests for the information. It is more than a little disappointing.

I learned and received wonderful input for India, Egypt, Istanbul, etc. on these boards and now when I return to those ports, it feels different.

I hope you have received the information you needed and that you have a wonderful trip. Do report back to us if you take the cruise.

Regards,

Shannon

Shannon ............ thanks for the kind words of support.

The other natural conclusion of not "searching then asking" that naturally follows my last note is that once all the knowledgeable people stop repeating themselves, and once the search engines no longer throw up digestible threads, then what you end up with are tens of thousands of indistinguishable threads, with increasingly poor and less knowledgable feedback as more and more new people continually asking the same questions without first searching, coincides with better people get bored and withdrawing their efforts.

Think of how important this is in say "health" forums where sometimes very ill people have found knowledgeable help and support and sometimes life saving pointers to new knowledge or technologies and where it's essential that centers of competence don't implode into an unexplorable mish mash. As an aside and in addition to this - the loss of the most knowledgeable posters is also somewat accelerated when thread initiators fail to return and thank people for their efforts. It seems like an obvious courtsey but you will find it often the very same people that cannot be bothered to search are the very same people that do not re-post anything more in the threads that they themselves started. I've noticed this often - but let me hasten to add NOT in this particular thread.

It is a topic I fear will only be properly appreciated after the point at which it becomes too late to avoid implosion. That is why I say that all people that fully appreciate what forums, newsgroups, usenets, FAQ's etc have done to change their own lives in finding information instantly that for the last few thousand years would have been impossible - have an equal responsibility towards gentle but firm self-policing. At this very moment - these resources are obviously better than they have ever been - and regrettably may be better than they will be in the future if we are not careful. Sometimes you have to be firm to be kind.

I wish that the forum moderators would post the reasons why "search then post" is in the rules more fully because I think that when most thoughtful people think about the reasons they'll be more inclined to both follow the rules and support more vigorous self-policing.

I've "gone on" again - but you can see why I feel passionately about this topic.

Jeff

Once again uk1 I thank you for your advice. I am sure it is not intentional but you are making me feel very uncomfortable. I have obviously done the wrong thing & I apologise. I will certainly think twice before I post again

Lorraine

I agree with Floridamom. I have never read such horrible posts as these before especially to a first poster. Katzoe asked a simple question and she was just flamed down.

She should have been welcomed first of all to Cruise Critic as it was her first posting and secondly just given the answer to her question not a lecture on how to use the Search mechanism. All she asked was for any advice on Silverseas and Silver Shadow in particular.

Jennie

Lorraine,

The Shadow does have a small area that is used as a reading and game room which was previously alluded to by one poster, with coffee and tea available, and I believe at limited hours there is also a small bar set up. Additionally, you can have a cocktail sent up to you. It's very pretty, and quiet. The Shadow is actually a beautiful ship, and there are many places to take in the views, and to have a drink while viewing the sunset. The pool is a wonderful area, also with a bar adjacent to it. As you can imagine, it is a very popular place to take in the vistas!

Similarly, Seabourn, also an all-suite, all-inclusive line, has 3 ships (a bit smaller than Silversea), and a large lounge on each that is forward, with a bar, as well as an afternoon tea service. It is akin to the type of forward lounge that you were asking about, but IMHO, you can't go wrong with either SS or Seabourn. Both are wonderful.

If you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask. I think most people genuinely want to help.

Regards,

Denyse

Once again uk1 I thank you for your advice. I am sure it is not intentional but you are making me feel very uncomfortable. I have obviously done the wrong thing & I apologise. I will certainly think twice before I post again

Lorraine

Hi Lorraine...

Some people will always be happy to help and answer your questions. The flaw with relying on the search function is that the information can be stale and thus unreliable.

Don't feel admonished, Lorraine. Ask away! YOU have done nothing wrong.

As others have posted, both Silversea and Seabourn offer comparable luxury. The ships of Silversea are newer, balconied and a bit larger than Seabourn. My personal fondest recollection of the Observation Lounge on Silversea was sipping a cup of boullion while the glaciers of Alaska went by. Beautiful...peaceful.

Lorraine,

I believe Uk1 is a true minority on these boards. Those of us that truly love cruising, welcome ANY questions, whether asked before or not. We love to post about cruising... period!

Obviously Uk1 doesn't have a favorite story, or hobby, or joke he likes to share with others over and over again. This is what these Cruise Critic boards are all about!

Please ask away, and forget about the "search" rule. At this point, I believe most every question has been asked, so where would we be then?

CruiserDan

I feel that UK1 does help people out here(look at his first post) and I didn't find anywhere that he was rude in this post. All he did was go to the trouble to explain his beliefs on the forums and usergroups. When you stop and give his explanations a little thought the validity of it is obvious. It's more a long term big picture concept, one that I hadn't seen before and hadn't really thought about.

That definitely wasn't a flame.

why is it that so many simple and harmless questions, whether it be about topless sunbathing or the location of lounges, deteriorate into nasty discussions about cultural differences or lectures on how to use these boards??? if you dont like the question or the nature of the post you have a choice, dont respond!!!

I'm sure UK1 intended to be helpful, but query: what is the harm in asking a question that takes less time to answer than does the lecture on search protocol? What seems like help to one person can feel like criticism to another. My personal belief is that if we can help each other, we should. If a subject that is new to one becomes redundant to another, just pass on reading it and move on.

If you haven't done so already, take a look at the Seabourn board, where it positively feels lilke family, and newbies are welcomed! Not a bad way to be, a style that for the most part is adopted here, as on other boards. Criticisms about why a person asks a question without first using a search function are fundamentally not helpful, and unfriendly.

My $.02. Minds can differ....

Denyse

I am looking forward to my Silver Shadow cruise in November. Thanks for all the information. I always like to find a special lounge or deck area for reading, viewing & generally enjoying the ambience. The Observation Lounge sounds like a lovely area for quiet & relaxation Denyse.

It is interesting to read that many of you are also great fans of Seabourn, like Denyse & Craig. I have often wondered if Seabourn is too small for my liking although my very first cruise was on a 12,000 ton ship, mv Kanimbla, on a round trip from Melbourne to Perth, crossing the Great Australian Bight twice, which is notorious for rough seas. It was a great trip & I suffered no ill effects.

I read the excellent review of Seabourn Pride in the latest Cruise Critic E letter & I will definitely take a look at the Seabourn Board.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Lorraine

katsoe,

i am a dedicated silversea cruiser but this summer i am doing a 28 day cruise on the seabourn pride to the fjords and the baltic. i am sure i will love seabourn as much as silversea. and what fun to compare the two.

Archived