Sunrise?

Razor_Poke

An earlier post talked about the green flash at sunset. This is from SpaceWeather.com;

GREEN THINGS ON EARTH: There was a time, long ago, when people thought the green flash was a myth, a phenomenon of fiction--and if you saw one you couldn't believe your eyes. But what if you saw six? There are at least half a dozen green flashes in this 11 MB movie of an Atlantic sunset recorded by astrophotographer Dirk Ewers:

greenflash_strip_left.jpg

"I just came back from vacation on the Canary Island of La Palma," says Ewers. "While I was there, I witnessed a very clear sunset with multiple green flashes. They were real."

Indeed, they are. Green flashes are caused by a mirage, which magnifies tiny differences in the atmospheric refraction of red and green light. In this case, temperature gradients above the water produced a complex mirage and, not one, but many flashes. Watch the movie again. "In the first seconds of the video, you can see sunspot 1193 flowing into the sea at the bottom right of the sun's edge," points out Ewers.

Enjoy and good luck in seeing your own "green flash".

• 6 years later...
The green flash is a wonderful thing... I've only seen it three times myself. As the sun sets on a perfectly clean flat horizon, like the sea, the last rays of the sun are refracted through the atmosphere... the last rays are green and a split second flash of emerald green appears and then vanishes. It's a miracle... really, a miracle.

:)

This sounds quite intriguing. I will look for it

I'm usually in the gym on the treadmill already. I have seen my fair share of sunrises and port arrivals though, except they've been through the window glass.

I just became aware of the blue/green flash phenomenon a few weeks ago and haven't seen one.

Probably the best sunset/sunrise I've ever seen was in the Baltics during summer - the sun went down, kissed the water, and then started to rise again. :D

Sunrise onboard is one of the primary reasons we always book a balcony cabin. No need to quickly throw on your clothes - just step outside your door and enjoy! Here are a couple of photo examples - the first is the Sydney Opera House as we docked just as the sun peeked over the horizon, the second is Seattle from our balcony:

inc1af.jpg

2rhwups.jpg