Restaurants in Vancouver, the short list Help in choosing?

I have compiled what is my 'short list' of restaurants that I would like to visit while in Vancouver (we leave within the next month). The problem is that we will only be in Vancouver for 3 days and there are so many restaurant to choose from!

This is my list:

West on Granville

Chambar

L'Abattoire

Hapa Izakaya or Guu on Robson

Market by Jean-Georges

Bin 941 or 942

The Sand Bar on Granville Island

Tojos

Rodney's Oyster House

Of those some have a great view but just 'so-so' reviews, others have remarkable chefs/cuisine, but not much of a view. Do any of you have any input out there that might make my decision easier?

We like amazing food, great service (of course) and a great bartender is always a plus ;)

Thank you, as always :)

I have compiled what is my 'short list' of restaurants that I would like to visit while in Vancouver (we leave within the next month). The problem is that we will only be in Vancouver for 3 days and there are so many restaurant to choose from!

This is my list:

West on Granville

Chambar

L'Abattoire

Market by Jean-Georges

Bin 941 or 942

Tojos

Rodney's Oyster House

Of those some have a great view but just 'so-so' reviews, others have remarkable chefs/cuisine, but not much of a view. Do any of you have any input out there that might make my decision easier?

We like amazing food, great service (of course) and a great bartender is always a plus ;)

I would add Vij's to that list, but you've got a great starting listing. Some are more upscale (West) some are more casual (Chambar)

Do you have a favourite cuisine you're trying to find?

Well, Vancouver is supposedly known for it's seafood. Hubby would love a seafood tower, but the only ones I could find were at Blue Water Cafe and Coast -- I was not too impressed with what I saw.

I chose Chambar and L'Abattoire because of their chefs and high end cuisine with laid back atmosphere. Additionally I had read that L'Abattoire employs the most recent "Vancouver bartender of the year" according to "Vancouver Magazine." Chambar has a multiple award winning bartender as well, and their drinks look scrumptious.

I chose Tojo's because well, it's Tojos! Very famous sushi expert that really knows his stuff.

Hapa Izakaya and Guu were chosen because we simply do not have anything like that in Orlando. However, I have read it can get rather loud inside the restaurant which is a drawback for us. Pluses are that it is different and in Gastown, a place we would like to visit.

Rodney's was chosen based on reviews and the fresh, yet affordable oysters.

Sandbar was chosen strictly for the view and that it was near Granville Market, another place we will be visiting. Though I have read many positive reviews of the sushi bar there, another plus.

West was chosen based on reviews of impeccable service and the fact that they have won numerous awards over many years for cuisine, desserts, bartender, etc. It really seems to have it all (except the view)?

Bin 941 and 942 look like a hip, trendy Vancouverite place to dine. Chef looks hip :)

Market chosen based on the name of the owner's name alone, food looks fabulous, but I was thinking about maybe trying breakfast or brunch there just to have the experience (and squeeze in another restaurant).

I have read all over that Vij's is #1 but the 'no reservations, 2 hour wait' scared me away.

We are 30 somethings with older souls that have a love of fabulous original cuisine (which can be found in both inexpensive and expensive restaurants). Hubby is really about the service, poor service can ruin the entire experience for him. We don't like loud big crowds. Victoria and Albert's is our favorite restaurant here in Orlando.

So, can you help steer us in the right direction?

I have read all over that Vij's is #1 but the 'no reservations, 2 hour wait' scared me away.

Don't go on Fri/Sat, and show up at 5:30 for 6pm opening, and you'll be fine. It's worth it. Mmmmm Lamb Popsicles

We are 30 somethings with older souls that have a love of fabulous original cuisine (which can be found in both inexpensive and expensive restaurants).

Haha, sounds exactly like us!

We are also looking for fresh seafood restaurant. We'll only be in Vancouver for one day before the cruise so have to choose even more carefully. Is there any causal waterfront/dockside seafood restaurants in Vancouver? Since we both grow up in NYC so we could totally forgo "fine dinning".

Haha, sounds exactly like us!

We are also looking for fresh seafood restaurant. We'll only be in Vancouver for one day before the cruise so have to choose even more carefully. Is there any causal waterfront/dockside seafood restaurants in Vancouver? Since we both grow up in NYC so we could totally forgo "fine dinning".

From a previous post I believe that you are staying at the Westin Grand and I can't think of any seafood restaurants close by. Likely the closest would be Joe Fortes and Aqua Riva, both of which are walkable from your hotel or Cardero's or the Boathouse on Beach Ave. both of which would require a $10 cab ride.

www.joefortes.ca/

http://www.aquariva.com/

http://www.vancouverdine.com/carderos/home.html

http://www.boathouserestaurants.ca/vancouver-restaurant-locations.php

From a previous post I believe that you are staying at the Westin Grand and I can't think of any seafood restaurants close by. Likely the closest would be Joe Fortes and Aqua Riva, both of which are walkable from your hotel or Cardero's or the Boathouse on Beach Ave. both of which would require a $10 cab ride.

www.joefortes.ca/

Sorry for being a little off topic here... in terms of convenience (to attractions and selection of restaurants), would the Westin Bayshore be a better choice? Since I'm using hotel points, I'll have to stick with Starwood properties.

Sorry for being a little off topic here... in terms of convenience (to attractions and selection of restaurants), would the Westin Bayshore be a better choice? Since I'm using hotel points, I'll have to stick with Starwood properties.

The Bayshore is a lovely hotel overlooking the Coal Harbour yacht basin and Stanley Park and is obviously closer to Stanely Park but tends to be out of the mix of rest of the things to be done in the city. The Grand is in more of a urban setting and more in the mix of things. So they both have their advantages and for what I think you want to do...I'd probably stay with the Grand.

www.joefortes.ca/

Aqua Riva is not in the same category as the restaurants that the OP posted. it's got a nice view, but the food isn't spectacular, which is what the OP (obviously a foodie) is looking for.

Aqua Riva is not in the same category as the restaurants that the OP posted. it's got a nice view, but the food isn't spectacular, which is what the OP (obviously a foodie) is looking for.

I was answering the question of QQK, not the original poster and while you are certainly entitled to your opinion, Aqua Riva receives high ratings from most including myself.

It's ok to get a little off topic, I love a good conversation (especially about Vancouver)! I was also looking at Joe Fortes, but really am leaning towards Chambar, L'Abbattoir, or West restaurant. Blue Water Cafe is very tempting though, for their seafood/sushi!

disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my mind a thousand times a day!

and Putter, I think Scott was just pointing something out, didn't mean to slight you in any way :)

The Bayshore is a lovely hotel overlooking the Coal Harbour yacht basin and Stanley Park and is obviously closer to Stanely Park but tends to be out of the mix of rest of the things to be done in the city. The Grand is in more of a urban setting and more in the mix of things. So they both have their advantages and for what I think you want to do...I'd probably stay with the Grand.

Thanks. I'm so looking forward to my first visit to Vancouver. Heard so many nice things about the city. It's a shame that due to work schedule, we wouldn't be able to spend more time there.

• 3 weeks later...

and really like Crocodile and a small French restaurant on the second floor overlooking Stanley park. There are 2 reataurants in Stanley Park. There are lots of free guide books to help you. or just ask the concierge at your hotel.

Aqua Riva is closing for good on June 30th.

I replied in your other thread... here is what I wrote:

I have lived in Vancouver all my life and have eaten at all those restaurants.

I have to say that by far my favourite is West Restaurant on Granville. Please note that it is a way out of the downtown core but only about 15-20 minutes by car or taxi from the port. West has BY FAR the best bartenders in the city and they can make some beautiful, stunning drinks. Definitely not your typical bartending fare. The food there is also always top notch.

If you want some funky and Japanese, Hapa Izakaya on Robson is a fantastic choice. Vancouver has some of the best asian food in the world... both Hapa Izakaya and Tojo's will not disappoint for Japanese food, but Hapa Izakaya is more funky whereas Tojo's is more formal. I would give the food at Tojo's an edge, but it is also significantly more expensive than Hapa.

Chambar and L'Abattoire are OK, but not super unique food. Guu is too crowded. Market is bland. Bin 941/942 can be quite dark and dingy with poor service but the food itself is good. Rodney's is a fun place with good looking servers and fresh seafood, but overall I don't find it is anything special.

Avoid Sand Bar at all costs. Great views, but food is terrible... (I've eaten there several times now and have always been disappointed, plus the bathrooms smell horrible due to asparagus being the same vegetable that they put on every single entree) :)

Hope that helps!

This is my list:

West on Granville

Chambar

L'Abattoire

Market by Jean-Georges

Bin 941 or 942

Tojos

Rodney's Oyster House

Visitors to Vancouver often ask about the best places for Chinese food. Most of the really great spots are in Richmond, the area to the south of the airport. There is a great feature in this weekend's Vancouver Sun about the best in Asian dining and the Chinese Restaurant Awards.

http://chineserestaurantawards.com/index.php

This is my list:

West on Granville

Chambar

L'Abattoire

Market by Jean-Georges

Bin 941 or 942

Tojos

Rodney's Oyster House

As promised, here is my review of last night's trip to Chambar.

Yes, I would definitely go back and would make it a "must-go" if I were visiting Vancouver. First of all, the location is just on the south edge of the sketchy Main/Hastings area, so although it is safe, you might want to think twice about walking back to your hotel if you are walking north toward the water. The host called us a cab that came in two minutes. That said, my niece lives about a block away and cut through the alley to go home and didn't seem too concerned about it. Second, the restaurant looks to be very long, dark, and narrow as you walk in. Ask if you can be seated at the back, where it opens up with big windows. Although it is surrounded by apartment towers, it was pretty as dusk fell.

They specialize in Belgian beer and mussels. My husband has traveled to Belgium a lot and was impressed by the beer list. The mussels were great as an appetizer. Bread is an extra, and if I were ordering the mussels as a main, would order bread. Seems chintzy to charge extra for bread, but you know, we actually thought the prices weren't too bad for food of this calibre.

Two foods you should know about this time of year in Vancouver are halibut and spot prawns. The spot prawns at Chambar are delicious. I had Coquille St Jacques as an appetizer. It came without the heavy sauce you'd expect. It was 5 perfect plump scallops with a roasted vegetable topping, separated by exquisite little pieces of bacon. Similarly, my bouillabaise main course was several small seafood selections (crisp little calamari, a seafood ravioli pouch, spot prawns, mussels, and halibut) served on a narrow white plate and then the waiter poured a tomato-based sauce over it at the table. WOW! Chambar is also known for good lamb and my nephew said that his (served in a tangine) was delicious, as was the steak my BIL had.

Wine list is good and the sommelier was helpful and quite chatty as he helped us explore a few options we'd never had before. The suggestions were very good when you consider we had quite a variety of food around the table. Before dinner, I had a Blue Fig cocktail that was quite different- a fig liqueur with a tiny plate of crumbled blue cheese. The two together were fabulous.

We were guests at dinner, so didn't pay, but the appetizers were in the $13-18 range and the mains were in the high 20-low $30 range. Two people could easily share three appetizers and be full if you are looking for something lighter. Definitely put this on your list of Vancouver spots to try.

Viv

As promised, here is my review of last night's trip to Chambar.

Yes, I would definitely go back and would make it a "must-go" if I were visiting Vancouver. First of all, the location is just on the south edge of the sketchy Main/Hastings area, so although it is safe, you might want to think twice about walking back to your hotel if you are walking north toward the water. The host called us a cab that came in two minutes. That said,,,,,

Worth also mentioning it's only 1/2 a block Stadium Skytrain station, so very easy to get to.

Worth also mentioning it's only 1/2 a block Stadium Skytrain station, so very easy to get to.

I think you meant that it is only 1/2 block from Stadium Skytrain station for those who go out for dinner on transit.

As Viv knows, many of the spot prawns that make their way into Vancouver restaurants come from here on the Sunshine Coast, I currently have my order in for 10 lbs of tails and am waiting for my friendly neighborhood halibut fisherman to produce my semi-annual 25 lb halibut...what a life we live up here.:)

Archived