Coastal Cruise in April?

sashas_mom

Has anyone done a West Coast cruise end of April? We're thinking of doing the itinerary from L.A. to S.F. and back to L.A. Wondering if you know what we can expect weatherwise? We've gone down to Mexico that time of year and I know it gets warmer the further South we go, but we've never gone North that time of year. Any input would be appreciated. I know there's no guarantees..the weather and ocean is unpredictable, but just want a ballpark.

Thanks.

Has anyone done a West Coast cruise end of April? We're thinking of doing the itinerary from L.A. to S.F. and back to L.A. Wondering if you know what we can expect weatherwise? We've gone down to Mexico that time of year and I know it gets warmer the further South we go' date=' but we've never gone North that time of year. Any input would be appreciated. I know there's no guarantees..the weather and ocean is unpredictable, but just want a ballpark.

Thanks.[/quote']

It will more likely than not be quite chilly on the open ocean -- especially outside of SF. Not sure which cruise does this itinerary (LA to SF and back??) No foreign port listed -- maybe Ensenada? Going north in the Pacific is also quite rough but will be no problem on the way back down. There are some cruises from Vancouver to LA at the end of summer -- Sept is a much better month along the coast from my experience.

We've done several - both April and September. Northbound in April can be a bit windy and rough, although we're among the crazy few that looks for some motion-of-the-ocean. All our September sailings have been fine.

It will more likely than not be quite chilly on the open ocean -- especially outside of SF. Not sure which cruise does this itinerary (LA to SF and back??) No foreign port listed -- maybe Ensenada? Going north in the Pacific is also quite rough but will be no problem on the way back down. There are some cruises from Vancouver to LA at the end of summer -- Sept is a much better month along the coast from my experience.

Did the Coral repo (LAX/YVR) in late Apr-early May...a 6 day jaunt up the coast. Ports of call from LAX (Los Angeles) were SFO (San Francisco), Astoria, YYJ (Victoria) and YVR (Vancouver) with a few sea days thrown in.

Weather from LAX to SFO we got beat up a bit, but that was because Capt Pomato had a crew mbr who had a coronary, so we rushed into SFO in the dark, the pilot meeting us about 3:30am instead of the scheduled 7am under the GG Bridge.

The day at sea out of LAX was choppy and breezy, but a day out of SFO the weather wasn't bad. Had rain showers in Astoria in and around the mouth of, and up the Columbia River. The day in Victoria was overcast as we entered Juan de Fuca Strait but as usual the sun shone that day in the colony, and it poured like hell the next morning as we sauntered under the Lions' Gate Bridge in Vancouver.

Amazing how they can make an overnight cruise (14 hours) to Vancouver out of what used to be a three and a half (3.5) hour ferry ride on CP ferries. Many Vancouver folk had previously arranged to disembark in YYJ and take the ferry (BC Ferries) home from Swartz Bay to Tsawassen.

Ciao for now!!!

I have done several coastals in early May and have found the weather to be cool and cloudy, the wind can kick up and it can be a bit rough....last year for instance it was to rough for us to tender at Catalina Is.

Archived