Constellation questions

caribgirl40

We are thinking of taking a 12 day cruise next summer on the Constellation. Some reviews suggest the quality of food has declined. I'm wondering if folks think that is true, and specific to this ship, or true of Celebrity in general these days? Also, wondering if anyone has any feedback about the kids' club. As always, thank you for your help!

I think the food has declined on most of the ships I have sailed on lately, but Constellation food was very good.

We have been very satisfied with the kids' program. And, most of all, so has our son. :)

We were on the 3/26 - 4/9 cruise on Constellation and found the food in the MDR improved from the last two cruises but maybe not quite up to where it was 5 or 6 years ago. It was very good in our opinion. The ship was great, we are looking at another Constellation cruise in Sep. Sorry, can't offer an opinion on the kid's programs. I would (and probably will) book a Constellation in a heart beat.

My opinon is the Celebrity dining experience in general is very good. Wide selections at the buffets and grill, and the MDR's have a good variety and are presented well. I always find something I enjoy. Last time on Connie, I found the overall experience to be superior..she's my favorite ship.

As to has it decined? May have, but I don't really see it as an issue, especially for new crusers. If it is good quality, in my eyes, then that is what I'm looking for. Are some dishes no longer offered? Yup. Are the servings smaller than before? Thank god, yes. But I find something each evening I enjoy. If its not what I like, that I thought it was going to be, too cool, not a good cut of meat, too fatty or whatever, I ask for another order and get it. Sometimes I order two or three salads and soups and not go for the entree.

So for a new cruiser, at least on this ship, I think the quality is fine and it doesn't really matter how it compares to what we think the quality was before.

Edit: just realized although i assumed you were a new Celebrity or Constellation cruiser, that may not be true.

Den

Thanks for all of your opinions. We've been on the Mercury and Millennium and I thought for the amount of food the kitchens need to produce, they did a pretty darn good job. I thought the execution and presentation was very good and at times excellent. In reading the reviews of Celebrity ships, it has seemed the Constellation has gotten dinged more for their food than the Solstice class ships. However, we're not looking for perfection, just a decent product for the money.

We liked the food in the MDR without fail - well-prepared and mostly quite tasty, the portions sometimes even a bit too generous, the quality of the meat in general was very good, whereas that of the fish varied, it was sometimes overcooked and a bit boring in regard to taste.

Bistro-on-Five was very very nice, as well.

What we really missed, was a casual dining option in the Buffet area. There was pizza, of course, the so-called chef's selection, which was the most boring variety of food I have ever seen, and the Indian-style buffet. This was spicy and nice to eat, but we missed the chance to have a served dinner in a special part of the buffet - as it had been possible on "Millenium" (small but adequate menu, good food, small cover charge). I personally think Celebrity tries a bit too hard to push people into Tuscan Grille/Ocean Liner's.

Archived