Currency Converter Question

Hotrocker2011

Do anyone have a good website thats shows the correct currency converted over. We are cursing to ocho rios, and the cayman islands, also just as an example what would $5.00 USD, but there? :)

This site will give you the wholesale rate not the retail (what you would pay at a currency exchange kiosk)

http://www.oanda.com/currency/converter/

I hope that it helps.

Kenny

Why not just pay in dollars??

Unless you are going to a bank, you wouldnt get the same exchange rate, so I just pay in dollars.

It is true, in Jamaica for instance they rounded up to the nearest dollar when they gave me change, and gave me change in jamaican money. (oh goody). I had to go to a local drug store because my sister fell and I needed headache and muscle rub and stuff like that. Everyone else took my money.

I get at least $20 in ones and some fives and tens and try to make change as exactly as I can if its a local shop. All the tourist stuff you pay in US currency.

The Cayman dollar is fixed to the US dollar at a rate of $1.00 USA buys 80 cents Cayman

Or $1.00 Cayman buys $1.25 USA

Since the rate is, fixed US dollars are accepted everywhere on the island at the above rate. In Georgetown where the cruise ships anchor most shops will give change in the same currency used for purchase but out of town many stores will make change in local currency. If you don't want to take the small change home as a souvenir you should bring plenty of small bills to minimize change.

In Jamaica the exchange rate can fluctuate alot but all the tourist shops, restaurants/bars etc. we have visited on a cruise have accepted US dollars and made change in US dollars.

The Cayman dollar is fixed to the US dollar at a rate of $1.00 USA buys 80 cents Cayman

Or $1.00 Cayman buys $1.25 USA

Since the rate is, fixed US dollars are accepted everywhere on the island at the above rate. In Georgetown where the cruise ships anchor most shops will give change in the same currency used for purchase but out of town many stores will make change in local currency. If you don't want to take the small change home as a souvenir you should bring plenty of small bills to minimize change.

In Jamaica the exchange rate can fluctuate alot but all the tourist shops, restaurants/bars etc. we have visited on a cruise have accepted US dollars and made change in US dollars.

Oh ok thanks.....that's what i thought.....so bout how much money should i bring for a 5 day cruise i know it can fluctuate but im just looking for a ball park answer.....

Thanks i think what i having the most hardest time with is on that site its say $1.00 USD = $84.43 JMD.....I don't know I feel really slow but im just not getin it unless that $1.00 USD = .84 cent JMD that I understand.....

The Jamaican dollar keeps losing value because their government prints them even faster than ours does. :D

Back in 2003 when we first cruised to Jamaica the exchange rate was around 32 to 1.

If the current rate is 84 to 1 then just think of the Jamaican dollar as worth slightly more than a penny.

Oh ok thanks.....that's what i thought.....so bout how much money should i bring for a 5 day cruise i know it can fluctuate but im just looking for a ball park answer.....

I bring $100 for each port, and some "emergency money" (like if I find a ring I cant resist, but I decided no more, it never a good deal I find out when I get home).

So, now I dont let myself spend more than $100 in the ports on junks and food and whatever.

I never come home without new tee shirts for instance.

That's tough to say without knowing what you plan to do. Firefly's suggestion to bring small bills is a good one.

Are you planning to spend a day at a place like Margaritaville? Book excursions with independent tour companies once you arrive? How much cash you need depends on what you plan to do. If you book tours through the ship and don't plan to shop much you will need very little cash.

That's tough to say without knowing what you plan to do. Firefly's suggestion to bring small bills is a good one.

Are you planning to spend a day at a place like Margaritaville? Book excursions with independent tour companies once you arrive? How much cash you need depends on what you plan to do. If you book tours through the ship and don't plan to shop much you will need very little cash.

Well in ocho rios we are planning on site seeing, and maybe going to the beach just doing normal tourist stuff then at the cayman islands we are doing an excursion not sure what yet but we are going threw an independent companies.....

Well in ocho rios we are planning on site seeing, and maybe going to the beach just doing normal tourist stuff then at the cayman islands we are doing an excursion not sure what yet but we are going threw an independent companies.....

In Ocho Rios $100 in cash should easily cover food/drinks and some touristy purchase like tee-shirts, post cards etc. plus you need to pay for your excursion however you are arranging it.

Grand Cayman is an expensive island. You can easily pay $10 or more for a hamburger and $5 for a beer, $8 for a mixed drink so you will need to plan your budget accordingly. The easy part of the Cayman islands is not needing to change currency and not worry about flucuating exchange rates. Just remember that something priced $4 CY will cost you $5 USA, $8 CY will cost $10 USA etc.

Have Fun! :)

In Ocho Rios $100 in cash should easily cover food/drinks and some touristy purchase like tee-shirts, post cards etc. plus you need to pay for your excursion however you are arranging it.

Grand Cayman is an expensive island. You can easily pay $10 or more for a hamburger and $5 for a beer, $8 for a mixed drink so you will need to plan your budget accordingly. The easy part of the Cayman islands is not needing to change currency and not worry about flucuating exchange rates. Just remember that something priced $4 CY will cost you $5 USA, $8 CY will cost $10 USA etc.

Have Fun! :)

Thanks.....I'm thinkin 700 total should be fine...its gona be me and my then husband and we are staying in miami for 2 extra days

Archived