Hair Braiding - Help!

lindalo5032

We will have our 8 year old granddaughter with us on the Dream on June 7th. She has LOTS of very thick, long hair that tends to get unruly. I would like to get a half braid for her, but have several questions.

1) I read that it costs about $26.00 onboard for a half-head braiding. Do they charge per braid, or per "half-head" (just the part around her face)?

2) She has fair skin and I will need to use sunscreen on the exposed areas on the top of her head. How do you wash the sunscreen off without messing up the braids? Can you use shampoo, or do you just rinse it off with water?

If anyone can help, especially with washing the hair, I would GREATLY appreciate it! :)

I can't reply about the costs( though $26 seems a very good price for half-head)

. I used to always braid my daughters hair when we went on holidays and would use sunscreen on her scalp. If the braids are tight enough she should be able to shampoo them lightly to remove the sunscreen and keep her hair fresh.

I assume by half head you mean like a headband type look. The ocst is per braid or cornroll. I think it was around $1 a braid and $2 or $3 per cornroll. I think what you are talking about would be a cornroll. I don't know anyone who actually gets braids.

They have a book to look at. The more hair, the more it wil lmost likely cost.

You can wash the hair with the rolls in. Just dab the shampoo around and rinse. They can last for two weeks on a lot of people.

I've gotten mine done a few times...I would bring your own comb...they use the same one over and over...I remember $1 a braid and I have long hair...I also put sun screen on my scalp....it's not fun getting burned and then having it be peely! I would just put some shampoo on top and rinse...

Have it done by your hairdresser before you leave and it will be cute and in place without spending a part of your all too short vacation doing it. That way she can buy beads or decorations in advance that she wants to have the hairdresser put in. And YES, make sure you use the sunscreen in the parts - burns there hurt! Have fun!

We had my DD12's done on the Dream just last week. It was $20 for half head braiding. Her hair is very long but normal thickness. It included all the beads that made a sortof headband around her head and took about 30min. We tipped her $6 so total was $26. I saw that they were charging more on Castaway Cay (odd but true). We did it the day of embarkation as we wanted her to have as much "use" of her hairdo as possible. The castmember did tell us that she charges around $20 for all halfhead braiding unless the hair is unsually thick or babyfine and she adjust accodingly. I thought $26 was a steal and her hair looked great. She got many compliments everywhere she went.

We had my DD12's done on the Dream just last week. It was $20 for half head braiding. Her hair is very long but normal thickness. It included all the beads that made a sortof headband around her head and took about 30min. We tipped her $6 so total was $26. I saw that they were charging more on Castaway Cay (odd but true). We did it the day of embarkation as we wanted her to have as much "use" of her hairdo as possible. The castmember did tell us that she charges around $20 for all halfhead braiding unless the hair is unsually thick or babyfine and she adjust accodingly. I thought $26 was a steal and her hair looked great. She got many compliments everywhere she went.

Thanks for the info! Where do you find the CM who does the hair braiding?

I don't remember all the details, but there was something about short hair being $1, $2 for medium, and $3 for long hair and I believe that was per braid. They had two ladies by the pool, one by the yellow Mickey slide and another across. They do take appointments.

We were on the Dream two weeks ago and one thing I haven't seen in the responses is that hair braiding must really hurt. Every time we walked by the hair braiding places on the ship and Castaway Cay at least half of the little girls were crying.

My DDs are mixed race and have their hair braided several times/yr. They have thick hair and it's much cheaper to have it done before you leave. We pay less than $1 per braid. I've seen $1-$2 on cruises. It does hurt as the braids are tight. You can spray on sunsceen and shampoo gently when needed. The style can stay for 3 weeks. There is a Super8 braid spray to reduce itch and keep shine. Good luck.

my granddaughter has long to med thick hair. she has had it done 2 times on seperate cruises. she loved it her mom just patted on shampo and gently rinsed. it lasted about a month, now my granddaughter loved it and wanted to take care of it. however this did not stop her from swimming sunscreen etc.

• 1 year later...

It was set up by the pool this weekend on the Dream. It is also set up by licensed locals quite near where you exit the port building in Nassau too where it was cheaper, I would take my own comb here.

I actually have a HB license in Florida although we don't do it much in my own day spa but the prices quoted here are quite reasonable I think.

We will have our 8 year old granddaughter with us on the Dream on June 7th. She has LOTS of very thick, long hair that tends to get unruly. I would like to get a half braid for her, but have several questions.

1) I read that it costs about $26.00 onboard for a half-head braiding. Do they charge per braid, or per "half-head" (just the part around her face)?

2) She has fair skin and I will need to use sunscreen on the exposed areas on the top of her head. How do you wash the sunscreen off without messing up the braids? Can you use shampoo, or do you just rinse it off with water?

If anyone can help, especially with washing the hair, I would GREATLY appreciate it! :)

I had this done when I was in the Caribbean (only 5yrs ago, lol). Always get it done on the ship. Don't have it done by locals even though they might be cheaper. If you want it done safely it is worth the half head price.

Yes, you can get sun-burnt easily with the braids. What we did was take a q tip and run down the line of braids. It was easy and mess free. When you were done you just threw it away and your hands were still clean. Take a few with you each day to reapply. I forgot to reapply after swimming. Needless to say I paid the price dearly later.

Also, when you get home, I would recommend not letting the braids sit more than 7-8 days at the most. I let it sit for 10 days and my hair was falling out and was brittle and broken after that for a few months. Leaving conditioner on the braids for extra time helps. If you can let it soak into the braids for 10 minutes, that should help the hair.

I hope this helps you!! Have a great trip!

• 4 years later...

hi my name is nika and I braid hair for a living. I am just wondering how much should I charge my clients that has a very thick head of hair. I did her hair in small-medium size braids. when her mom sent me a picture of her hair it didn't look like a lot of hair. but when I saw it in person omg she had hair for days. and she was tender headed so after I saw the picture of her hair I only charge her 45 dollars for small-medium size braids. I am wondering if I am cheating myself out of money or do I charge her by the thickness of her hair and for the size of braids she want. how much do you charge for box braids without extentions

hi this is what I do if you don't have the spray shampoo you can get a spray bottle half fill it with water and the other half with moisturing shampoo and then shake it up real good and spray it on her hair have her get in the shower and let the water run on or hair make sure she dont rub it just let the water run in till it's clear and when the water is clear don't use a towel to dry her hair get an old tshirt and pat it dry and if you have an hood hair dryer just have her sit under it till it's completely dry and then once it's dry spray some oil and get a satin sleep cap or durag and keep it on for at least 30 minutes so the oil could soak in the hair.

On all the ships, the braiding is at a stand by the pool. You can schedule an appointment, but they will do "walk ins" when they are not busy. DO the ship, not in town. On the ship, you have clean equipment and you are charged according to the posted prices. In town, the posted prices had no resemblance to the extortion they tried to pull on me at the end. The sign in town said "$2 per braid," and then they attempted to charge me $10 per braid, using the excuse of the beads. THe beads they use are pony beads that cost about 1 cent each in a US craft store!

You can have as little as one braid or as much as a whole head. Yes, the braids are very tight and it hurts--that's why the kids are crying. THey are amazingly fast at doing it.

To Nika, who asked about charges....figure out what you make per hour doing other services. THen figure out what you need to charge for a head of braids to make that same rate--it gives you something to base the charges on.

Keep in mind that braids are tight and they can be painful. I would use the spray sunscreen. My daughter (adult) had hers done in Labadee by the native Haitians. They will negotiate price.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

hi this is what I do if you don't have the spray shampoo you can get a spray bottle half fill it with water and the other half with moisturing shampoo and then shake it up real good and spray it on her hair have her get in the shower and let the water run on or hair make sure she dont rub it just let the water run in till it's clear and when the water is clear don't use a towel to dry her hair get an old tshirt and pat it dry and if you have an hood hair dryer just have her sit under it till it's completely dry and then once it's dry spray some oil and get a satin sleep cap or durag and keep it on for at least 30 minutes so the oil could soak in the hair.

As that poster was asking for help over 6 years ago, I'm fairly certain that they worked things out.

I had this done when I was in the Caribbean (only 5yrs ago, lol). Always get it done on the ship. Don't have it done by locals even though they might be cheaper. If you want it done safely it is worth the half head price.

Yes, you can get sun-burnt easily with the braids. What we did was take a q tip and run down the line of braids. It was easy and mess free. When you were done you just threw it away and your hands were still clean. Take a few with you each day to reapply. I forgot to reapply after swimming. Needless to say I paid the price dearly later.

Also, when you get home, I would recommend not letting the braids sit more than 7-8 days at the most. I let it sit for 10 days and my hair was falling out and was brittle and broken after that for a few months. Leaving conditioner on the braids for extra time helps. If you can let it soak into the braids for 10 minutes, that should help the hair.

I hope this helps you!! Have a great trip!

Sent from my iPad using Forums