How to introduce toddler to kids club?

NJfoodie

We'll be sailing in June and this is the first time that DS will be able to join in the kids club activities. For parents who have been through this with ~2 yr olds, how did you introduce your child to being in the kids club? Was your child comfortable playing with the other kids/counselors without you? I'm mostly a little nervous since our son is still too young to really understand the concept in advance or even look forward to specific activities. He's in daycare on weekdays so he's accustomed to being away from us and playing with other kids and his teachers during the day, so hopefully that will help him be at ease if we take him to the kids club for a little while each day during our trip. Of course if he's upset or expresses that he doesn't want to go, we'll keep him with us. Carnival's program includes taking the kids to the buffet for dinner. What was your experience with letting your toddler go to dinner with the kids club? Or did you keep the child with you for dinner? Any advice for this nervous mom?

Thanks to all for your help!

It depends what type of child you have. My older son cried bloody murder with strangers at age 2. My younger son would go willingly with anyone. If you have a shy child, you will probably have to stay with your child until she adjusts to the counselors and surroundings. Some kids adjust fine others don't. 2 is an awkward age really IMO.

It depends what type of child you have. My older son cried bloody murder with strangers at age 2. My younger son would go willingly with anyone. If you have a shy child, you will probably have to stay with your child until she adjusts to the counselors and surroundings. Some kids adjust fine others don't. 2 is an awkward age really IMO.

I think that's what worries me - that age 2 is still awkward. My son is very social in general and adjusted really well to daycare. On the other hand, he's at an age where kids are generally not predictable. I have no idea if he'll take to the club and be excited to go play, or if he's going to realize mommy and daddy are leaving and have a meltdown. It's also our first experience w/ a kids program so we may be just as nervous about leaving him w/ staff that we don't know. We're perfectly ok with keeping him with us throughout the cruise, but we also were looking forward to the opportunity to have a little time to ourselves and maybe a dinner in the specialty restaurant.

I have a similar concern about my 3 year old on Royal Caribbean. He will be 3.2 year, so the youngest allowed in their kid's club. If I were allowed to stay with him for a few minutes and then leave, I think he'd be fine. But they don't let the parents into the club from what I understand, right?

With my twins, I found that staying with them never made it easier no matter how long or how brief - they wouldn't stop crying until after I left, so drop and run was always best. We sailed on Carnival the week after my girls turned 2 and they had never been in any daycare (we had a nanny). They both cried every day when I dropped them off, but one would stop pretty soon after I left and absolutely loved it and wouldn't want to leave (though she cried at every drop off). The other would usually keep crying and I would have to go back and pick her up. The staff was really wonderful about trying to get them engaged in the activities and I felt were patient and gave a great effort to trying to make it work with lots of kids who were new to being away from parents.

With my little one who didn't like the kids club, I would bring her in her stroller in the evening after she fell asleep.

Starting the cruise after, they both loved the kids club and now I'm lucky I get to spend any time with them on sea days. I didn't start letting them eat with the kid club until they were 4.

Best,

Mia

On the first day of the cruise you will be allowed to visit the youth program with your child. In fact, most cruise lines don't offer childcare the first day of the cruise. The youth facility is open for your use with your child- sort of a meet and greet. So this would be the time to get your child used to the area and the counselors. Good luck. I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Each child is different....mine were always excited to have other kids to play with, as we lived in a rural area without alot of kids...they LOVED any kind of school/daycare things!

There's really no way to "prepare" your child. Simply take him, and see what happens! If he's excited and comfortable, leave him. If not, then don't force it. Not a big deal either way.

We cruised on Cunard the week my DS turned 2. He had never been in daycare and was not used to being away from me (at all, since my DH had just gotten back from being overseas and it was just me and DS for the entire 15 months before this). DS was also completely non-verbal at that age. All that being said, he LOVED going to see the nannies. At dinner he would act up until we took him to the nannies. He was always so happy when we dropped him off.

Last month I cruised with DS (now almost 6) and DD (3) on Disney. DS once again loved the clubs and would wake up and ask to go. DD never asked to go, but she was perfectly happy once she was there. On the first day I took her in, I showed her where the bathroom was and where the different parts of the club were and then let her play for a bit. I did not let either child stay for dinner- but that's more my preference than anything else. I just like eating dinner as a family. DS did ask to stay for dinner once, and I said no.

Archived