Straw Hats

I've been wondering the same thing; Does it really work for a cruise? Along with other questions, like would I actually wear it?

After my last two cruises I've seen plenty of people wearing the classic, cute straw hats, and I've decided it's a good idea to get one for my next cruise.

So, I say go for it!

snip ...I found one I really liked today but it was a little heavy. Do those make your head sweat?

It helps if the hat hat has an inside band made of a towel like material. If the hat doesn´t have one it´s easy enough to add one yourself., even helps to make a larger hat smaller.

Sandy in Spain

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Ladies - Thanks for all of your posts and sharing the types of hats that you purchased.

I couldn't find a floppy hat that I fell in love with since my original post but just the other day I found a fedora that I love!

It looks just like the one below and with the Lord & Taylor clearance sales, I walked out of the store with one for $12! I am not cruising until Sept. 3, but I've already worn my hat and it's been awesome for a sunny hot day.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTA_57O1dPmTtduVl1WDvup9TbXQGvYJ8Yhk6j0rtvfIXdxJnEEyg

So of course I had to get a new bathing suit, etc. so just today I went shopping and walked out with a teal skirt bottom, block halter top and black cover-up, so I think the hat will look great with that "outfit".

And also - thanks for the poster who suggested changing the hat by adding a scarf or flower. I actually have a hot pink pin-on flower that I will definitely be bringing to pin to this hat for certain days.

Thanks ladies - juts wanted to share my purchase. :D

I am not normally a hat person, especially a straw hat one... but today at the zoo I saw a zebra inspired straw hat and could not resist it. I immediately thought of this thread and realized it would be perfect for my next cruise. For $15 I couldn't resist it either. :)

5724246829_b886194ce4_z.jpg

I love all the talk on this thread...I have a hat that I bought from a local garden center that is similar to this...it is a paper, packable, collapsible hat in a natural brown color with a leather corded band that also goes under the hat that could tighten at the chin to keep it in place...The style of the hat can be very feminine, but the leather cord is so functional...I am LOVING this photo for the inspiration of the scarf or whatever fabric around the brim! I am going to add this to my hat!

I wear my hat all the time...I love the shade. Once you get used to having a hat around...it becomes a bit like a handbag...you figure out what to do with it when you don't need it...and you are pretty happy to have it around. :)

I love all the talk on this thread...I have a hat that I bought from a local garden center that is similar to this...it is a paper, packable, collapsible hat in a natural brown color with a leather corded band that also goes under the hat that could tighten at the chin to keep it in place...The style of the hat can be very feminine, but the leather cord is so functional...I am LOVING this photo for the inspiration of the scarf or whatever fabric around the brim! I am going to add this to my hat!

I wear my hat all the time...I love the shade. Once you get used to having a hat around...it becomes a bit like a handbag...you figure out what to do with it when you don't need it...and you are pretty happy to have it around. :)

That sounds very cool that your hat is collapsible.

I also see what you mean about hats becoming like handbags. Its a great accessory that I'm now buying clothing to go with.

just got home from crusin - i wanted to buy a straw hat BUT after how windy it is on the ship i didn't!

That was one of my fears but I'll definitely use it when we're in port at the beach or pool. Our excursions are going to be all beach days so I think ill be glad that I bought a hat.

Archived