Northbound or southbound? Pre or post cruisetour?

publicpersona

Although we've been on 30+ cruises, we've never done Alaska. Everyone says we should, and this may be the year. It will be on RC's Radiance, that's for certain.

I recall people telling us some very good advice on whether it is better to do northboard or southbound, and if we are doing cruisetour, pre or post. But I don't remember what the advice was. OK .. I guess if southbound, it is pre. If northbound, it is post. Duh.

So .. which is better? How many days of pre/post tour is ideal? We want to see the highlights and not feel rushed, but don't want to spend money needlessly and be bored either.

There is no magic answer. I have done both directions many times, they each have their pluses, and really no minus.

FAR more important is for you to do your homework on cruisetours, and get so, you understand EVERYTHING about this type of travel. The majority of people do not, and it can make a big difference.

Head to your library and take out Alaska By Cruiseship and Alaska travel guides. Find out about the places you want to visit and what they will offer you for touring.

With cruisetours- consistantly- the longer you go the better. Distances are vast and time necessary is considerable. Way to many cruisetours are poor choices, in my opinion, due to this.

A negative with cruisetours, is few offer time in Seward, it is gem, and is the only place for a boat tour with varied wildlife. Denali Park is the other highlight of interior Alaska touring, loaded with scenery and wildlife. The main point, is to get INTO the park, to do so, NEVER get any cruisetour without the Tundra Wilderness tour. But, realize, this is less distance than what you can get going independent.

If you choose to do some homework and are independent minded, Alaska is simple to go on your own. The biggest benefit is the freedom and all the countless stuff you can add compared to point to point group travel with cruisetours.

Just some thoughts to consider. :)

for myself it would be too do the denali land tour before the cruise. i have read that it can be pretty packed with activity for the days you are in the anchorage area. then getting on the ship and having a relaxing cruise down the coastline would be the icing on the cake. many love going the norhtern route but othes love the southbound route. it all comes down too a personal preferance of when you want to be on the ship and relax. have a wonderful time.

for myself it would be too do the denali land tour before the cruise. i have read that it can be pretty packed with activity for the days you are in the anchorage area. then getting on the ship and having a relaxing cruise down the coastline would be the icing on the cake. many love going the norhtern route but othes love the southbound route. it all comes down too a personal preferance of when you want to be on the ship and relax. have a wonderful time.

Yikes, you are supposed to relax on the cruise??? :) :) :)

In seriousness- Good PLANNING is the point here, and back to my TIME factor. Avoid short cruisetours. :)

In seriousness- Good PLANNING is the point here, and back to my TIME factor. Avoid short cruisetours. :)

Budget Queen we are doing the northbound out of Vancouver. This will be our first cruise. I was planning one full day in Victoria as part of a pre-cruise. Is that not enough time?

you party animal :D. we know you keep the ship hopping. you go girl ;)

Budget Queen we are doing the northbound out of Vancouver. This will be our first cruise. I was planning one full day in Victoria as part of a pre-cruise. Is that not enough time?

I never recommend the day trips. Too much time eaten up in transit. This is a city worth at least an overnight- if not more. :) I go for multi days, since I have my touring preferences. :) Decide what yours are. :)

Archived