MSC major changes inc. Evening buffets

Shelledpea

thanks for your info amo mondo as you knoe im going melody in oct justn thought of weather situation am i ikely to get cold weather on my oct 5 melody sailing and how do you do your previous cruises on bottom of thread claudio

It will certainly be cooler in genoa at that time of year but should still be quite warm in the other ports. It's always hard to say what the weather will be like as it can always be unpredictable, but generally speaking the autumn itenaries are altered to amke the most of the better weather by going further south.

To add previos cruises to your sinature, you click on User CP at the top left of the screen , then go into Edit Signature.

This is very good news. I just booked my first MSC Cruise and I was a little concerned about not having a buffet option for formal night; now it looks like there will be a buffet available every night. Definitely welcome news.

• 1 month later...

Cruised on the MSC Sinfonia last week. Overall a very enjoyable experience with good food and generally caring staff. Main negative points:

Regarding drinks:

- No way to get ice water in the dining room at lunch / dinner. "If we give it to you, everyone would ask"...

- The 24 hour coffee/water was actually only 22.5 hour coffee/water. It was closed every day between 5pm and 6.30pm which is also is the very time many people want something to drink after coming back from an excursion. The excuse was "daily cleaning" but none of the staff could answer why they had to close both drink stations at the same time.... ($£€)

My other complaint would be the swimming pool area. They start folding the deck chairs at 5pm and cover the swimming pool at 7pm. By 7.15pm, they kick any remaining people off the deckchairs. This despite the daily guide saying the swimming pool and jacuzzi are open until 8pm. When complaining, I get shoulder shrugs from both the pool boys and reception.

We will be sailing is September. I think this is very good news. I was thinking of packing some instant coffee for my 3:00 coffee but maybe i can leave that home now. I like the buffet in the evening, even a small one for those days you don't want a huge meal. thanks for posting this info.

or those that want to watch sail away but should be dining - I was worried I would have to get back to the ship early on days like New York when we sail a 8pm - I have early dinner seating at 5.30 so this solves my problem :D

I'm surprised to read about other cruisers who found little variety at the buffet. MSC must have improved incredibly in just a few months time. I just got back from my cruise on MSC Musica, and while it's nowhere near gourmet food (a nice average applies, pizza being the worst though), I found the variety of choice great! They had all kinds of pasta, meat, burgers, asian style noodles and whatnot. There was a salad buffet, all kinds of breads, different types of potatoes including fries.

I would have loved it if it hadn't been for all those trashy families and their ill behaved children. But what can you do?

I'm surprised to read about other cruisers who found little variety at the buffet. MSC must have improved incredibly in just a few months time. I just got back from my cruise on MSC Musica, and while it's nowhere near gourmet food (a nice average applies, pizza being the worst though), I found the variety of choice great! They had all kinds of pasta, meat, burgers, asian style noodles and whatnot. There was a salad buffet, all kinds of breads, different types of potatoes including fries.

I would have loved it if it hadn't been for all those trashy families and their ill behaved children. But what can you do?

Pizza is usually highly rated on this line, the passengers not so much...

From what I have read thus far all I can say is thank goodness MSC has the Yacht Club. I am no longer forced to mix with people too cheap to pay 2 Euro for water.

Oooh what's the yacht club? And how exactly does it solve the buffet problem?

I'm on the MSC Melody right now. The buffet is open every evening except gala nights from 19.00 to 20.30. I haven't tried it because I prefer the MDR but from what I've seen the selection isn't vast: a few hot items besides burgers and fries. It's getting a reasonable attendance but most people go to the MDR for a full meal.

It will still feed my daughter on days we get back from shore excursions too late for first seating at dinner - good news for us ;)

From what I have read thus far all I can say is thank goodness MSC has the Yacht Club. I am no longer forced to mix with people too cheap to pay 2 Euro for water.

hahaha great quote - I tried to send you some pictures of Yacht Club but it made my message too long - I hope you have a great cruise :)

IMG_5333.jpg.934cb367c4ddb5d016b2e8e5b4464be9.jpg

IMG_5143.jpg.0b72dbbf6b6339b629ae90ad62a93292.jpg

IMG_5238.jpg.3a349db5ecdb8ad1eb1f86b7ed59ef3b.jpg

IMG_5332.jpg.1ecd80844b49a0ce3cfff0a0dfe66f2a.jpg

hahaha great quote - I tried to send you some pictures of Yacht Club but it made my message too long - I hope you have a great cruise :)

Thanks for the pictures.....I am sure that I will have a great time. From what I have read and viewed the service standard remind me of The Savoy in London, which is my favorite hotel, however I can imagine with the usual MSC Italian Flare worked in on occassion ;)

Oooh what's the yacht club? And how exactly does it solve the buffet problem?

The Yacht Club is basically the area reserved for passengers occupying the Yacht Club cabins. It has it's own private swimming pool, lounge, library etc, the cabins have butlers etc. As a side note and seeing that everyone in the forum above were commenting on what a rip off MSC is, I have booked myself as a single passenger in a YC2 cabin at the same price as an Owner's suite on Royal Caribean.........now take into consideration that Royal Caribean only has free drinks bewteen certain hours in the conceirge club, MSC Yacht Club is all inclusive while in the Yacht Club areas and at dinner etc, it is evident that I am getting better value for money with MSC than with Royal Caribean.

And from what I have seen on teh basic costs for cruises, any passenger saves ultimately with MSC as oppsoed to many other lines in that by issuing low rates MSC is in turn subsidising your drinking.....I would rather save money which i can put towards choosing what I want to drink as opposed to pay more and have no choice as to what I can drink.

Archived