MSC major changes inc. Evening buffets

Shelledpea

Came across this yesterday on another Cruise forum but thought it may be of interest to others on here...

From Cruise Industry News

The innovations MSC Cruises is rolling out across the fleet from the end of April are all designed to make an MSC cruise even more fun, more varied and more flexible than ever before.

Complementing the elegant dining experience of MSC’s waiter service and specialty restaurants, guests can now dip into lighter, casual dining at their leisure, with the buffet restaurants introducing an evening service with no fixed sitting times, so they can dine exactly as and when they please.

That could be the ideal spontaneous dining solution before or after a Spa treatment or visit to the ship’s theatre. Or following a day-long excursion. Or after irresistibly endless fun, games and sunbathing in the outstanding leisure facilities on board.

And of course it’s a dream come true for kids and teens, who generally prefer, short, informal feeds - preferably on impulse and as frequently as possible. They’ll be over the moon to discover that MSC’s buffet restaurants will be extending the wide choice available to include fresh pizza without charge and whenever they want, each and every evening of their cruise!

Meanwhile, their parents won’t just be relieved to hear these are wholesome, genuine Neapolitan pizzas, but as soon as they set eyes on them, they’ll want a slice, too. What’s more, guests will be able to ring the changes, since many of the ships in the MSC fleet will be complementing their pizzas with a choice of genuine kebabs - all also offered as a courtesy snack throughout the evening.

But that’s not all. MSC is in addition making it even easier for guests to slake their thirst as soon as it strikes, with complimentary American coffee, teas, iced water and ice available not just during breakfast and buffet dining, but 24 hours a day.

Taken altogether, these thoughtful innovations will make quite a difference to how cruise goers enjoy the immense variety that is typical of MSC, offering industry-leading choice, convenience and flexibility, so they can live every impulse to the full. Which is, of course, exactly what a modern cruise holiday should be all about.

Shell

Welcome to the 21st Century! I mean an evening dinner buffet and coffee and water at dinner is supposed to be a major upgrade? Pretty pathetic considering this has been the basic standard on most major lines for many, many years now.

Get with the program MSC!

Ernie

This is great news for families with children and also passengers from the UK and US. I believe this will create a more relaxed and silence dining experience in the MDR's as well. Buffet's are allways a success among childrens.

Here is the official pressrelease from MSC:

http://www.msccruises.com/gl_en/About-MSC-Cruises/News/MSC-Cruises-Diners-More-Choice.aspx

That'll be great for the Grandson & his family ...won't make any difference to me i don't like anything like cheese ,pasta,spaggeti ,kebabs , how slim will i be :D

I'm on the MSC Melody right now. The buffet is open every evening except gala nights from 19.00 to 20.30. I haven't tried it because I prefer the MDR but from what I've seen the selection isn't vast: a few hot items besides burgers and fries. It's getting a reasonable attendance but most people go to the MDR for a full meal.

• 2 weeks later...
what about the news there wille be free coffee and water?

only at the buffet or every were? also at diner ?

does any one now???

+1

Would it be free ice water, coffee, tea in MDR.

We will be sailing is September. I think this is very good news. I was thinking of packing some instant coffee for my 3:00 coffee but maybe i can leave that home now. I like the buffet in the evening, even a small one for those days you don't want a huge meal. thanks for posting this info.

Do we get free drink on all MSC line ?

I will cruise on Fantasia Jul 1st. Hope I don't have to worry

about drink at least.

MSC, should provide drink for the price we paid like other cruise lines if you want more business

Free drink MSC, way to go......................................................, and at least one night Lobster dinner ...........ye'

Do we get free drink on all MSC line ?

I will cruise on Fantasia Jul 1st. Hope I don't have to worry

about drink at least.

MSC, should provide drink for the price we paid like other cruise lines if you want more business

Free drink MSC, way to go......................................................, and at least one night Lobster dinner ...........ye'

???? What cruise line provide you with free drinks?:cool:

A long overdue and most welcome improvement. Now I'm waiting/hoping for open dining.

I know the buffet is welcome news to families with kids but I for one, definitely hope they don't move to open dining. There are plenty of lines that already do that if that's your prefernce, I don't see the need for every cruise line to become a clone of each other.

I know the buffet is welcome news to families with kids but I for one, definitely hope they don't move to open dining. There are plenty of lines that already do that if that's your prefernce, I don't see the need for every cruise line to become a clone of each other.

Heee! I'm not a famblee, and goodness knows I'm as childfree as you can get. I'm not sure what that has to do with open dining, anyway.

I don't think cruiselines are-or should be-clones of each other, but I figure the more choices I have going to Canada/NE the better for me! Competition is a wondrous thing.

I agree. I hope they don't go to open dining. It is one of the things I love about MSC...that they still have a shred of old time, more traditional cruise feel. If I wanted it the other way I would go on another line. I know cruise lines must keep up with the times and respond to passengers changing desires but I personally like the more traditional feel of MSC... Just the way it is.

Free drinks (teas, coffee, water) are only in the Buffet area - there are stickers on the water tanks saying no bottle refilling allowed. They screw you for water everywhere. Can't even get a glass of plain/tap water in the MDR - have to pay over 2 Euros (+ 15%) for a bottle. And as promised, they've stopped charging for coffee there after dinner - but by stopping serving it. If you want it, and you have an obliging waiter, he might get one from the nearest bar for you, but it'll be the oft' heard "may I have your card, please".

Since getting home from Poesia 3 days ago - suffering from after-effects of horrible food poisoning since shortly after dinner on the last night - have lost 8 kilos (that's over a stone) so would advise against ordering mussels at dinner. I guess I should have known better.

Free drinks (teas, coffee, water) are only in the Buffet area - there are stickers on the water tanks saying no bottle refilling allowed. They screw you for water everywhere. Can't even get a glass of plain/tap water in the MDR - have to pay over 2 Euros (+ 15%) for a bottle. And as promised, they've stopped charging for coffee there after dinner - but by stopping serving it. If you want it, and you have an obliging waiter, he might get one from the nearest bar for you, but it'll be the oft' heard "may I have your card, please".

Since getting home from Poesia 3 days ago - suffering from after-effects of horrible food poisoning since shortly after dinner on the last night - have lost 8 kilos (that's over a stone) so would advise against ordering mussels at dinner. I guess I should have known better.

Sorry to hear you've got food poisioning ...that must have made the journey back home an ordeal.

thanks for letting us know that the free drinks are in the buffet area. When i was on a Costa ship earlier this year they also had free tea and coffee available but only at the back of the buffet area as well.

The no filling water bottles isn't MSC being mean...it's a health precaustion....they don't want germs getting spread around. Not everyone would wash their bottle before filling it and make sure that the neck didn't touch the water dispenser nozzle.

sorry, you have been so ill. what a horrible end to a holiday that must have been. I also had the mussels on the last night (can't resist them) and had no problem whatsoever so can only conclude you were unlucky - poor you.

As I had the A/I package the coffee/tea situation didn't affect me (and don't like coffee anyway!). I drank mineral water and wine at dinner as I was on this package but some guests just asked for a jug of tap water (free) and I did the same when on Orchestra last year.

However, the buffet situation on Poesia is still a joke. There is no 'alternative' dining apart from a couple of nights when pizza or burgers or kebabs were served but only from between set times - normally 7.00 - 8.30pm. As far as I was concerned the whole place was too much like a works canteen and I did my best to avoid it apart from when I went up on deck early in the morning for a cigarette and got a cup of tea from the buffet.

thanks for your info amo mondo as you knoe im going melody in oct justn thought of weather situation am i ikely to get cold weather on my oct 5 melody sailing and how do you do your previous cruises on bottom of thread claudio

Archived