Best areas to stay in Barcelona?

ms1962

Yes, I would advise staying on La Rambla as well - no dark back streets to have to walk through at night on the way back after dinner!

We stayed in the Hotel Royal on La Rambla a couple of years back. We didn't have any problems with noise and got a good night's sleep there.

There are some fabulous things to see in Barcelona - you'll have a wonderful time!

We prefer to stay on Passeig de Colom. It's just off the Las Ramblas, but closer to walk the marina and the huge boardwalk along the beach. Our preferred hotel is: Duquesa de Cardona. It really depends on how long you are planning to stay also. I will be staying 4 days post cruise, and I find Las Ramblas to get a little old after walking it a few times.

More specifically near Plaza De Cataluna (Placa de Catalunya)

You do not want a hotel ON Las Ramblas - way too noisy. A block or two away is preferable.

I agree that you should pick a hotel within a short walk fo the Placa de Catalunya. This is the center of Barcelona and where you want to be as a first time tourist.

Some might debate whether you want to be on Las Ramblas or not -but if you do stay there keep in mind a street view room will be very interesting to look out the window of but very noisy late at night.

We had a room with a balcony overlooking the Las Ramblas. We would go to the market during the day and purchase bread,cheese,olives and wine and sit on our balcony during the evening and watch the show below. Priceless!!!!!!

I agree that you should pick a hotel within a short walk fo the Placa de Catalunya. This is the center of Barcelona and where you want to be as a first time tourist.

Some might debate whether you want to be on Las Ramblas or not -but if you do stay there keep in mind a street view room will be very interesting to look out the window of but very noisy late at night.

It depends on the hotel - I recommend looking at Tripadvisor reviews from people who have stayed there.

Our room looked out over La Rambla - my husband is a light-sleeper (takes earplugs everywhere just in case) and our room was well sound-proofed. It had good double-glazing. When we opened the window there was a lot of noise; with the double glazing closed it was fine.

It is a European city - they tend to be noisy anyway. On La Rambla you get little traffic noise - it's mainly people moving up and down. There is a road on either side of the central promenade on La Rambla but it doesn't carry much traffic. On other roads which have traffic going up and down; you will get well-used to the sound of scooters; buses; lorries; dustcarts; car horns from early in the morning.

We had a room with a balcony overlooking the Las Ramblas. We would go to the market during the day and purchase bread,cheese,olives and wine and sit on our balcony during the evening and watch the show below. Priceless!!!!!!

diesel, That sounds like the perfect evening to me...care to share the name of your hotel? Was the market close by? Our cruise isn't until Sept. 2012 but I'm having fun looking researching hotels. :)

I second the suggestions to stay on Las Ramblas or the Plaza Catalunya area. We have also stayed at the Royal Ramblas and enjoyed it. Nice hotel and comfortable rooms. Perfect location right on the Ramblas, so it was great for people watching and easy to run to La Boqueria market (another must see) for some fresh fruit or a snack. The windows were reinforced so they blocked out all of the sound below - you might want to look for a hotel that offers this if you want to stay directly on the street, as it really stays hopping at all hours.

I second the suggestions to stay on Las Ramblas or the Plaza Catalunya area. We have also stayed at the Royal Ramblas and enjoyed it. Nice hotel and comfortable rooms. Perfect location right on the Ramblas, so it was great for people watching and easy to run to La Boqueria market (another must see) for some fresh fruit or a snack. The windows were reinforced so they blocked out all of the sound below - you might want to look for a hotel that offers this if you want to stay directly on the street, as it really stays hopping at all hours.

Hi Infi, Did you have a balcony overlooking Ramblas? I'm really liking the idea of people watching with a glass of wine in the evening. Thanks!

We also stayed in the Royal Ramblas a couple of years ago, as I recall there were no balconies overlooking La Rambla. Instead there were large windows (but not floor to ceiling) that slid sideways rather than opening outwards. Rather like patio doors, but these were not full length, floor to ceiling.

I suppose you could sit on a chair near to the open window and watch folks going by, but it's not the same as sitting on a balcony.

In 2003 we stayed opposite the Cathedral (not Sagrada Familia) in the Hotel Colon. It was very nice - expensive, but maybe those were my standards then, I'm not sure. We didn't get breakfast included and there was a little place just across the placa that served bagels Spanish style with tomato and a slice of cheese and coffee and fresh oj. On Sunday there were women dancing in a circle outside the cathedral. It was memorable. We wandered the Bari Gotic and went to Las Ramblas - had breakfast in the market - I had a spanish tortilla and my husband had eggs and there were fresh fish being cooked and so much wonderful food. I like the idea of the wine and cheese on the balcony. Wish I'd thought of that. We also ate at Los Caracoles - try it if you can. Rotisserie chicken - not anything like the stuff in the supermarket. We did the HOHO bus the day we arrived in the morning since our rooms weren't ready and it was a good idea - normally I don't much like them, but we were whipped from the flight and this gave us a view of the city without having to exert ourselves.

Beth

Kat,I searched my travel records and you are in luck!The name of the hotel was Rivoli Ramblas Hotel. It is in a great location near the market area and there is also a great Tapas bar near bye. Please don't ask for the name of it because my mind is one of the things I miss the most!LOL You are also within walking distance of the waterfront. Hope this info helps you and enjoy your cruise. We certainly did!

Hi Infi, Did you have a balcony overlooking Ramblas? I'm really liking the idea of people watching with a glass of wine in the evening. Thanks!

Hi Kat, no, we didn't have a balcony overlooking Las Ramblas. We did have a deluxe room which offered the reinforced windows and a view of the Ramblas (the regular rooms had a standard view). The view was nice enough without the balcony IMHO. I don't think the hotel had any balconies either. Actually, I don't really remember any of the other hotels on the Ramblas having balconies either, now that I think of it. Maybe it's just too noisy? Anyway, hope that helps.

Have stayed in the Olympic Port area a few times when I've been with my wife, some nice seafood restaurants around the marina.

The Ramblas is nice during the day and would recommend going to the large market at the top if you are in to food it is superb, sit at the counters and you can try various small plates of food.

The Ramblas at night can be very hit or miss as it is a favourite destination for groups of us Brits who are on Stag parties. Most won't cause any bother but to put it politely some can get a bit out of hand.

It is a fantastic city though which I'm sure you will enjoy.

Kat,I searched my travel records and you are in luck!The name of the hotel was Rivoli Ramblas Hotel. It is in a great location near the market area and there is also a great Tapas bar near bye. Please don't ask for the name of it because my mind is one of the things I miss the most!LOL You are also within walking distance of the waterfront. Hope this info helps you and enjoy your cruise. We certainly did!

Thanks diesel. I'll add that hotel to my list. I appreciate your taking the time to look it up. I'll let you off the hook on the name of the restaurant.:)

Hi Kat, no, we didn't have a balcony overlooking Las Ramblas. We did have a deluxe room which offered the reinforced windows and a view of the Ramblas (the regular rooms had a standard view). The view was nice enough without the balcony IMHO. I don't think the hotel had any balconies either. Actually, I don't really remember any of the other hotels on the Ramblas having balconies either, now that I think of it. Maybe it's just too noisy? Anyway, hope that helps.

Thanks for the information Infi, it's very helpful. I know we won't be out on the Ramblas very late but I'm thinking it would be fun to watch the action. So many choices!

Archived