Boat times from P.G. to shore and back?

Never been on a cruise before and we’re trying to figure out shore excursions on our own because of cost. How do we find out the times the boats leave the P.G. for shore each day, and come back? How often do they run?

Also, if you could only do one, or two, shore excursions through P.G. which would you do?

First let me say welcome to CC and the PG Board!

You have a wonderful treat in store for you ...be prepared to be spoiled by both the PG and by FP.

The first item in your plan of action is to decide whether you are doing the 7 day/10 day or 14 day or even the longer one from Australia. This will determine your must do excursions.

Secondly I think its important to have a good mix of land and sea excursions especially if you are a snorkeller ( or diver).

The Trail of the Ancients in Moorea can only be done on the PG so this is one you can definitely consider. This includes a hike but also views from the top.

I would also recommend a safari in Bora Bora - the views are spectacular and this can be done with the PG or with Patrick as a possible full day excursion.

A lot of the PG cruises are offering a $500/$1,000 on board credit and a number of agents will give you an additional $300 credit. This should help you towards the cost of your excursions.

To answer your initial question regarding boat times. The tenders start as soon as the ship is anchored so if you look at your itinerary it will be roughly the timing of the first tender give or take half and hour in either direction. Remember the PG is a small ship so there wont be much of a line up for the tenders which are fairly continuous especially on arrival and just before departure. Just tell the local operator with whom you are booking your excursion the PG arrival time ( and departure time) from the itinerary and they will be on the dock for you. Just also remember that the ship wont wait for you so make sure you are on board well before departure keeping in mind the timings for the last tender.

First let me say welcome to CC and the PG Board!

You have a wonderful treat in store for you ...be prepared to be spoiled by both the PG and by FP.

The first item in your plan of action is to decide whether you are doing the 7 day/10 day or 14 day or even the longer one from Australia. This will determine your must do excursions.

Secondly I think its important to have a good mix of land and sea excursions especially if you are a snorkeller ( or diver).

The Trail of the Ancients in Moorea can only be done on the PG so this is one you can definitely consider. This includes a hike but also views from the top.

I would also recommend a safari in Bora Bora - the views are spectacular and this can be done with the PG or with Patrick as a possible full day excursion.

A lot of the PG cruises are offering a $500/$1,000 on board credit and a number of agents will give you an additional $300 credit. This should help you towards the cost of your excursions.

To answer your initial question regarding boat times. The tenders start as soon as the ship is anchored so if you look at your itinerary it will be roughly the timing of the first tender give or take half and hour in either direction. Remember the PG is a small ship so there wont be much of a line up for the tenders which are fairly continuous especially on arrival and just before departure. Just tell the local operator with whom you are booking your excursion the PG arrival time ( and departure time) from the itinerary and they will be on the dock for you. Just also remember that the ship wont wait for you so make sure you are on board well before departure keeping in mind the timings for the last tender.

Emdee,

Thank you for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it! I'm already learning new phrases (tenders)

Our family (12 of us) is traveling on the 7-day P.G. cruise departing July 16th. We're from Southern California and we like beaches and being in the water. Thanks again!

The 7 day is a perfect introduction to FP.

I think your first day is Raitea is where I would suggest the boat trip - its the only one of its kind - I havent ever done it but Wendy recommends it and it will be a chance to use your OBCs. The next time I visit I will surely do it - this time in June my Tuamotu itinerary does not go there. Before your excursion you will like see the children of Raitea when they come aboard to dance for you.

Bora Bora my suggestion is Patrick's all day with safari in the morning. The views from the top are fantastic and shouldnt be missed. The next day you will have time to visit the BB motu ( sandy atoll) that the ship offers for free as well as time for a walk around the dock should you want to visit some of the shops or for individual excursions like diving, submarine or the underwater walk ( dont recall actual name).

I love the views on Moorea and with so many of you it may make sense to rent cars from Sandrine at Avis. If you do so in advance there is a discount of 20%. You can then drive around the island up to the top , visit the agricultural farm , and also visit Temae beach. The next day I would consider spending a day at one of the hotel beaches - Les Tipanniers or Hilton. On the last night the PG brings in a wonderful local troupe who perform the traditional dances exceptionally well!

Motu Mahana is just such a fun beach day that there is no need to do any excursions.

I have travelled all over the world and do so fairly regularly but so far the only place that makes me almost giddy with excitement is FP and the PG. In fact its about 7 weeks for my next trip and I cannot wait for the time to pass.

All the best in your planning and trip!

Hi, congrats on your first cruise! Our first cruise was also on the Paul Gauguin and we were hooked on the islands and the ship.

Yes, we've taken the Raiatea land and water trip twice. They take you on a 4x4 tour around the island, and you visit the important sacred site there, and learn about it. Then they load you onto large outrigger canoes and you navigate up the river, the only navigable one in the islands. I thought it was all fascinating, the very first excursion I ever took!

But, if you're into the water, you may want to explore snorkeling excursions on Raiatea, since the snorkeling is good, perhaps better, now, than some of the other islands. I've only done one water excursion on Raiatea, and the snorkeling was great.

The tendering time varies with the destination. The second day on Bora Bora, for example, the ship positions closer to the beach motu (great, by the way, if you like just great sand and water), so the tender to the main island itself is a little longer. On day 1 in Bora Bora, it's about 10 minutes. The tender to Motu Mahana, for the picnic, is about 20 minutes.

Cruise Control,

You are brave going with a group of 12. I have done vacation with 17 and coordinating everybody with what they want etc is challenging. If you look through the many threads here you will see reference to alot of the excursions and you can read up on what they involve. To be honest we have never booked an outside operator, we always have used the PG excursions. Memorable experiences-- you have to do one 4X4 safari, I would recommend Bora Bora, but Moorea is neat too. The wave runners around Bora Bora was a lot of fun, we are "mature" but we enjoyed it. As Emdee mentioned, listening to Dr. Edowes and doing his walk of the ancients was a highlight of our first time on the PG as was meeting Dr. Poole on Moorea and doing his dolphin viewing trip. If you have any divers in your group, or any that want to experience SCUBA, the PG has a great dive team that can make that happen. Snorkeling is amazing, the Motu Mahana has good snorkeling as does the Bora Bora Motu. There are excursions at each island that involve snorkeling. The coral gardens off the Sofitel Motu at Bora Bora is a great spot especially.

Wendy & egret,

I really appreciate your input, thank you!

Traveling on the P.G. with 12 very opinionated family members, well,.......I'm counting on the Mai Tai's to survive. Hopefully no one will get thrown overboard.....at night.

The waverunners sound right up my alley. We go to Hawaii often so being at nice beaches and in the water are our/my priority. I'm hoping we can do that a lot without spending a ton of money. I was shocked at the excursions prices posted further down. Is it possible to just take the tenders on every island we dock and just go to a nice beach? Do we have to rent a car for that?

Who is "Patrick", I see him mentioned here often.

You might want to ask about access to beaches over at http://www.tahiti-explorer.com/forums. You can go to the individual island forums and search, or ask explicit questions.

Moorea has a beach, but probably taxis would be required, but I'm not sure. There also may or may not be a hotel or two that allow day use, but again, not sure about how to get there without a car.

On Bora Bora, go to the motu on one or both afternoons. Try to splurge on some kind of water excursion there--I highly recommend the stingray ballet (I know, they are expensive, but you could perhaps, with that many people, get a deal booking privately. Again, try the forum I mentioned for specifics.)

And of course at Taha'a, you can spend the entire day on the motu, it's great, and free.

On Raiatea, I'm not sure if there is a beach near the dock. The town is not much. But again, check the tahiti-explorer forums, they have plenty of local knowledge.

You can always stay on the ship--it's quite fun onboard during the day.

Archived