Carnival Freedom vs. Freedom of the Seas

I need some help. We have cruised Carnival before but many many years ago. We are currently booked on the Explorer for the Seas this June and are looking to book the Freedom for next summer. However, when looking at Carnival Freedoms ports of call, we have not been to any of them except Aruba (looking at the July 14, 2012 sailing). However, we also have not done the western caribbean in a long time either. My question is, this has anyone been on both ships? If so, can you give me your honest opinion. Thanks for your help.

There is a members review section on this site and it has hundreds of reviews from each of the ships. You can find almost anything your looking for. It may take time & work but it is very rewarding...

I need some help. We have cruised Carnival before but many many years ago. We are currently booked on the Explorer for the Seas this June and are looking to book the Freedom for next summer. However, when looking at Carnival Freedoms ports of call, we have not been to any of them except Aruba (looking at the July 14, 2012 sailing). However, we also have not done the western caribbean in a long time either. My question is, this has anyone been on both ships? If so, can you give me your honest opinion. Thanks for your help.

We went on both a few years ago within months of each other. I prefer RCI, so unless you have specific questions, I'm not sure I can give you a line by line break down of both ships.

If the one itinerary is more preferred, then I would suggest doing that one. I don't believe the overall ship would cause you to have a bad cruise.

If you're choosing the cruise strictly on the ship, go with Freedom of the Seas. Good Luck!

We went on both a few years ago within months of each other. I prefer RCI, so unless you have specific questions, I'm not sure I can give you a line by line break down of both ships.

If the one itinerary is more preferred, then I would suggest doing that one. I don't believe the overall ship would cause you to have a bad cruise.

If you're choosing the cruise strictly on the ship, go with Freedom of the Seas. Good Luck!

Thank you. Your second paragraph answered my question. I just wanted to make sure the ship itself was ok. We also prefer Royal it's the itinerary we were looking at and was concerned about the ship. Thank you.

I've been on the Carnival Freedom and if you do care about ship layout, long lines, tiny pools for thousands of guests and ugliness, I wouldn't go on the Carnival Freedom. If you don't care about any of that and itinerary matters most, then base your decision on that. The cruise we took on the Carnival Freedom was our first and last Carnival cruise.

Btw, I have been on Liberty of the Seas (exact same ship as Freedom of the Seas) and the CC Freedom can't compare.

CCL Freedom wont hold a candle to Freedom OTS as far as the ship is concerned. You have to look at whether ship or itinerary is more important to you. We chose Freedom of the seas this year because we care more about the ship than the destination, and with Royal Caribbean's Freedom and Oasis class, the ship is a destination in itself. Freedom OTS will give you a more upscale feel and fancier, better laid out public areas. Carnival Freedom will probably give you a better price and maybe better ports.

Having been on both, I would agree that for the basic ship layout RCI is better, but that’s it. In my opinion the service is the same on both, but the food in the main dining room and buffet is muuuuch better on carnival, the stateroom amenities and bedding are way better on carnival and the pool towels (yes it matters to me!) are an absolute joke on RCI. I know it nitpicking because they are so similar but if you like the itinerary better on cc then I would go with that. Either way you won’t be disappointed.

I have also cruised on both ships and in my honest opinion I can say that we enjoyed both ships. I would choose based on route. If you happen to have teenagers then I would probably pick freedom of the seas. I think that you can find good and bad in all cruise lines. I have cruised RCCL, Carnival, Norwegian, and Disney. Just pick one and plan to have fun!!!

:D

Having been on both, I would agree that for the basic ship layout RCI is better, but that’s it. In my opinion the service is the same on both, but the food in the main dining room and buffet is muuuuch better on carnival, the stateroom amenities and bedding are way better on carnival and the pool towels (yes it matters to me!) are an absolute joke on RCI. I know it nitpicking because they are so similar but if you like the itinerary better on cc then I would go with that. Either way you won’t be disappointed.

Just got back from Freedom OTS and last 2 cruises was with carnival. Totally disagree with bedding comment(maybe upgraded at Drydock) but that was the most confortable bed ever. I'm 6'5" and 240 lbs, I must upgade my California King bedding. My kids and wife want new beds, the pillows were great....as for the towels.....yip they were towels, I thought they were ok for a towel....I mean it was a towel.

If you have any specific questions I'll try to answer....are you traveling with children.......I have 3 teenagers.

Have to agree the good food was good food, nothing special, but aways good. No lines even on Sea days......

Do yourself a favor and cruise with Royal Caribbean. The Freedom is a beautiful ship. Carnival ships are gaudy to say the least. Looks like someone took a few hits of acid while working on the design. The Freedom also was just upgraded in some areas.

The western itinerary is great. Labadee is very nice. I have not been to Falmouth since they opened it. I understand that it's a work in progress.

Carnival offers a cheaper product and it shows throughout the entire cruise IMHO. I use the old Wal-Mart verses Target analogy. Wal Mart is sometime less expensive but their stores are dirty, junky and leave a lot to be desired. Target goes after the same customers but with cleaner, neater stores and sometimes they have better prices. Same here with the two cruise lines.

Archived