Any new information on Falmouth Jamaica?

I talked with a student today who was on the Allure last week. She said that she liked Falmouth and that the people there really loved the tourists because RCL built them the port with paved walks and shops that they could sell their wares in. She and her family took a trip north of Falmouth to go on a rafting trip and she the residents north of Falmouth were very different. They were advised to keep all personal belongings close to their sides and stay together.

She also said that the history of Falmouth was sad as she learned that it had been a major slave port and surrounding buildings still had bars in the window openings where slaves were kept. Other than that she liked the port and felt the residents in Falmouth to be very welcoming.

I was on the Navigator from April 18th - 23rd. We were in Falmouth on the 21st. I have lots of pictures of the port. Here's my link!

http://s1118.photobucket.com/albums/k604/Will77W/Navigator%20of%20the%20Seas%20April%2018th%202011/?start=all

I also wrote a review with pictures that can be found here: http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1403357

Hope this helps!

We were just there last week and while the buildings are far from being completed, there were pleanty of local venders hawking their goods on the sidewalks. It's going to be beatiful when it's finished.

They offered a free shuttle to the Rose Hall shopping district and there was a tour of the town offered for $10. We went to Rose Hall and it was a nice experience but we are saving the town tour for when we are there next month with my 85 year old mother. She'll like that.

We were just there last week and while the buildings are far from being completed, there were pleanty of local venders hawking their goods on the sidewalks. It's going to be beatiful when it's finished.

I agree with this paragraph. The buildings were up, but not complete. This meant that there were no vendors inside the buildings. It does look like it will be very nice when it is finally complete.

I was there on the same cruise as Will. The people were great and enjoyed everyone coming to their country. Don't let others scare you away. Was definitely a highlight of our cruise. And don't miss sailaway. Watching the locals on the port singing, dancing, waving, etc. was the best.

Have fun.

I was there on the same cruise as Will. The people were great and enjoyed everyone coming to their country. Don't let others scare you away. Was definitely a highlight of our cruise. And don't miss sailaway. Watching the locals on the port singing, dancing, waving, etc. was the best.

Have fun.

That was so awesome!

SDC12288.jpg

SDC12290.jpg

I'm hoping things continue to progress, and are near completion by January! Are there any restaurants/bars near or at Rose Hall? We thought we'd like to go ashore and have a couple of beers and look at shops, nothing major. Also, which side was this photograph taken from? Our balcony is starboard.....:)

They offered a free shuttle to the Rose Hall shopping district and there was a tour of the town offered for $10. We went to Rose Hall and it was a nice experience but we are saving the town tour for when we are there next month with my 85 year old mother. She'll like that.

I agree with this paragraph. The buildings were up, but not complete. This meant that there were no vendors inside the buildings. It does look like it will be very nice when it is finally complete.

That is the problem right there...."WHEN IT'S COMPLETE"....till then I have no interest in paying good money to be taken to a construction site.

I'm hoping things continue to progress, and are near completion by January! Are there any restaurants/bars near or at Rose Hall? We thought we'd like to go ashore and have a couple of beers and look at shops, nothing major. Also, which side was this photograph taken from? Our balcony is starboard.....:)

Those pictures were taken from Deck 12 on the Starboard side. I'm not sure if the ships always dock this way, but when we pulled in, we spun around so that when we left, we could just pull away.

It is not a construction site, yes there are building that are being constructed in different areas, as there are in many other ports, the main square is completely paved and the majority of the buildings are complete, just not occupied. All the walkways are ca rparking areas are finished, and the locals are very welcoming, but sure if you do not want to go, then dont,but do you actually think all other ports are also finished. I for one know that St. Matin and St Thomas continue to grow, and Cozumel has grown so much over the past Ten years, as has Costa Maya, so if you are waiting for a port to be finished it will be along time before you cruise again. Sure we all want all ports to be amazing when we arrive, but if cruise lines do not expand into new areas we would not have ne adventures. I know you will not but al least others are prepared to give Falmouth a chance,and the locals appreciate it and are very welcoming.:)

That is the problem right there...."WHEN IT'S COMPLETE"....till then I have no interest in paying good money to be taken to a construction site.

It is not a construction site, yes there are building that are being constructed in different areas, as there are in many other ports, the main square is completely paved and the majority of the buildings are complete, just not occupied. All the walkways are ca rparking areas are finished, and the locals are very welcoming, but sure if you do not want to go, then dont,but do you actually think all other ports are also finished. I for one know that St. Matin and St Thomas continue to grow, and Cozumel has grown so much over the past Ten years, as has Costa Maya, so if you are waiting for a port to be finished it will be along time before you cruise again. Sure we all want all ports to be amazing when we arrive, but if cruise lines do not expand into new areas we would not have ne adventures. I know you will not but al least others are prepared to give Falmouth a chance,and the locals appreciate it and are very welcoming.:)

That is not what people are reporting and what the pictures show. What good are buildings that aren't occupied:confused:...you say Costa Maya isn't finished:confused:...HHHmmmmm....seems like the "port itself" has been finished for some time now...at least the last 3 of my visits over the past 6 months..all stores are occupied and open for business...have been for a couple years now.

All one has to do is take a look at this summer (or most any sailing date over the next few months) on Oasis/Allure and compare pricing and availability with western verse eastern....people are voting with there wallets;) While Falmouth may indeed be very nice "when it's complete"...and from the looks of it so far it looks as though it will be.....Royal should not have started sailing there till the "port area self" was complete...stores open, buildings occupied and ready for business. With such limited amount of port stops on Oasis/Allure I just can't justify wasting 1 of 3 on a port that offers very little at this point and IS still in construction phase.

I was on the Navigator from April 18th - 23rd. We were in Falmouth on the 21st. I have lots of pictures of the port. Here's my link!

http://s1118.photobucket.com/albums/k604/Will77W/Navigator%20of%20the%20Seas%20April%2018th%202011/?start=all

I also wrote a review with pictures that can be found here: http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1403357

Hope this helps!

Wow!! :)

Great job on the pictures...thanks for sharing! :D

Archived