RCI Rhapsody v Pacific Dawn

HI,

I am looking for comparisons / opinions between the above two ships.

We are looking at New Years Eve cruises (RCI Rhapsody 9 nights v Pacific Dawn 11 nights ) and have previously only cruised with RCI.

That said we have only cruised on RCI Voyager Class ships out of the USA so I understand we are looking at a smaller ship regardless.

I would love to know the overall differences between the two and opinions about the value compared to quality for both.

Thank you for any info you can provide.

Carla :)

Hi we have just returned from a cruise on the Rhapsody of the Seas, and loved it, we have also been on the Pacific Dawn and enjoyed that ship too. It really depends on what you are expecting from your cruise, Pacific Dawn cabins are bigger, Rhapsody cabins smaller. Staff were lovely on both ships, but Rhapsody staff seem more relaxed. Entertainment was great on both ships. We loved the indoor pool, spas on the Rhapsody and the pools were open till midnight whereas on Dawn they close in the evening. Dawn was prob. more 3 star vs Rhapsody 4 star, loved the atrium (centrum) on the Rhapsody and the food was lovely, plus free icecream, free cakes with your coffee. Not that you don't get enough food on cruises:D Hope I have not confused you too much. Good luck with your decision, sometimes it comes down to where the ship is going. But we have already booked another 2 cruises with Royal Carribean, also getting on the ship was really quick with Rhapsody.

HI,

I am looking for comparisons / opinions between the above two ships.

We are looking at New Years Eve cruises (RCI Rhapsody 9 nights v Pacific Dawn 11 nights ) and have previously only cruised with RCI.

That said we have only cruised on RCI Voyager Class ships out of the USA so I understand we are looking at a smaller ship regardless.

I would love to know the overall differences between the two and opinions about the value compared to quality for both.

Thank you for any info you can provide.

Carla :)

Hi Carla,

I have cruised on both Pacific Dawn and Rhapsody of the Seas for NYE cruises.

NYE cruise atmosphere - Pacific Dawn had more of a party atmosphere to it, as we had a big deck party outside with a band etc. With Rhapsody, we were indoors at the Centrum for the deck party, and I think there was also a deck party outdoors, but wasn't as festive as on Pacific Dawn. On both ships, there were balloon drops at the centrum at midnight.

Ship - I much prefer the look of Rhapsody over Pacific Dawn, as it features an abundance of glass and the centrum is amazing. Rhapsody also has a two level dining room, rock climbing wall and indoor pool area (solarium). Pacific Dawn does have some nicer features though, especially with The Dome for fantastic views out to see by day, and transforms into a great nightclub in the evening.

Rooms - We had outside / ocean view staterooms on Pacific Dawn and inside staterooms on Rhapsody. I preferred the layout on Pacific Dawn as it appeared to have a better use of space.

Food - While both ships had a great variety of food in the dining room and buffet, I slightly preferred food onboard Pacific Dawn. Although that being said, the food onboard Rhapsody was still great.

Value - Is there much of a price difference between the two cruises? If not, I would go with Rhapsody / Royal Caribbean as it a four star cruise line compared to Pacific Dawn / P&O being three star. Rhapsody is a beautiful ship and I personally prefer the wow factor of RCI ships.

Another thought to consider is itinery - I am assuming the Pacific Dawn cruise will have more ports than the Rhapsody cruise. I personally base my cruise choices in order of itinery, ship & cost. It all depends on which has more importance to you.

There are links in my signature to my two albums from my Pacific Dawn NYE cruise and Rhapsody NYE cruise.

Hope this helps & feel free to ask if you have any questions :)

Looks like Rhapsody is a little cheaper than Pac Dawn for these two cruises - about $50 per day per couple for an inside (according to a wellknown Aussie online agent)

Barry

We have cruised both Pacific Dawn and Rhapsody NYE.....

Rhapsody is a far nicer looking ship, just beautiful with all the glass etc.....the atrium is georgeous..

I thought food slightly better also on Rhapsody, and Rhapsody great for the free ice cream, pizza's etc......

Pacific Dawns cabins much larger and the atmosphere for NYE was 100% to that on Rhapsody, P&O is renound for a fun ship, so many fun activities on top deck etc.... the shows in the theatre are great also. Rhapsody shows were a bit more sedate.. (prob not the right wording sorry)

P&O always have activities going on, on the top deck, Rhapsody may have one now and then.

So really depends on the age of passengers, younger people tend to cruise P&O therefore more activities going on, Eg.. Island night on Rhapsody started on top deck about 10 and was finished bit after midnight.. Pacific Dawn started from 5 or 6pm onwards,had huge bbq on deck, top deck decorated and staff wearing Island clothing etc...went till early morning then continued on up in the dome..

So I guess my opinion is if you are after a party atmosphere etc.... go P&O or if you are after a little bit quieter with more elegance Rhapsody is the way to go.

P & O Australia is 3 Star product OK but just . We would go for Royal Caribbean over P & O Australia any time. RCL is more like 4 Star and a more mature adult patronage .

Thank you everyone for your responses. It is much appreciated and very helpful. I especially love looking at photos so thank you LuckiePuris for sharing! :D

I think that even though I really really love RCI, we will give the Pacific Dawn a go based on the extra port visits. I also like that some of you who have been on her before are going again & that is always a good sign!

Thanks again,

Carla

Thank you everyone for your responses. It is much appreciated and very helpful. I especially love looking at photos so thank you LuckiePuris for sharing! :D

I think that even though I really really love RCI, we will give the Pacific Dawn a go based on the extra port visits. I also like that some of you who have been on her before are going again & that is always a good sign!

Thanks again,

Carla

No worries Carla :)

I think you have made a great choice going with Pacific Dawn, it really is a fantastic itinery!

I too love looking at cruise photos, I keep searching for new ones of Radiance of the Seas (my upcoming cruise). Hope you have a fantastic cruise! :)

Having travelled on both my personal opinion is that you made the right choice. Rhapsody is a nicer ship in general but I think it lacks in the overall cruising product offered, they just seem to have cut a lot of things and when I was on there felt a lot of things were missing that P&O offer.

The food,entertainment and partying are certainly leaps and bounds better.

The Pacific Dawn will be really underwhelming after been on a voyager class ship as far asw wow factor, however, in saying that some lounges ie The Dome are really wow'ing.

I say it's the product, not the ship that makes the cruise better though.

I reckon P&O and RCI are same quality as each other, if you wanted elegance and better quality Princess would be the way to go.

Archived