I'm confused.... nice places are crowded, because peopl want to go there....

After reading many of the posts here, I've decided to stay on the ship. I've never done that, or even thought about staying on the ship, but this place doesn't seem to have any attractions. Sure, I could head off to somewhere else (15-30 miles away), but what's the point? I've read some posts that this is the "real" Mexico. I'm going to be on vacation, and really just want beautiful beaches and nice snorkeling or something, not having "real" Mexicans begging for my money. I could go visit Harlem or the Bronx to see the "real" New York, but not if I'm going there on my vacation. Why would Carnival pick this as a port, when the immediate area offers so little to do? According to a lot of the posters I've read, I guess I could have Carnival drop me off in the middle of some no-named city, and then have to fend for myself for a day. That would be real Mexico, but would it be much fun? Not to me, anyway.

Someone please change my mind.... any snorkeling suggestions, or maybe deep sea fishing? Is there anything truly worth getting off the ship for? I love Cozumel, and the reason it's so crowded is because everyone love Cozumel.

If you prefer touristy hot spots, by all means make your plans accordingly. Progreso is on the Gulf and the water is not good for snorkling and being on a limestone shelf, there would be little to see even if the water was more clear.

However, if you enjoy foreign travel there is much to choose from when porting in Progreso. By all means keep reading this board and also checkout http://www.yucatantoday.com to further research the available options. Merida is a beautiful old spanish colonial city of almost one million friendly and proud people. Four universities and a vibrant city. RT bus is a whopping $3.00 US and is about 21 miles from Progreso. Buildings dating from the 1500s. Or major and minor Mayan ruins from the sixth or seventh century.

BTW if you decide to just get off and look around in Progreso, the fresh fish and seafood in the restaurants is excellent. Especially the whole deep fried snapper at le Saint Bonnet on the Malecon.

Yeah, I'm thinking the food on the ship (free) will be as good as I can find in Progreso, and I'm just not into architecture. I was hoping more along the lines of an active excursion. It boggles my mind why Carnival would pick this hole as a destination for it's cruises. It seems to even be tricking it's passengers into taking them there (as in "hey, this cruise goes to Calica .... nope, just kidding, we're going to Progreso!!)

Seriously, most people say the beach doesn't even compare to the beaches at home (Destin, Florida).... what would the appeal be?

I for one feel completely different and must be the reason for ports like Progreso. We love ports where we have to "get out of town" to explore. We like it a bit gritty and real.

We no longer get off the ship at Cozumel. My family uses that as our pool day. There are so many people who are sick of Cozumel that the dining room has more and more people for lunch with each cruise we do. Give me any new port, even if it is rough around the edges...

Vikkii. In fact last Aug while on Elation I spent Monday in Merida sheparding a couple of home schooling families around a few of the sights.

At Cozumel, I did the same as you. Stayed on the ship.

I do belive that there is deep sea fishing in Progreso. There is a marina and there are several private vendors you can go for the day fishing with. Some of the people that came to Buddy's in the pm at the beach raved about their deep sea fishing excursion. I believe that one of Progreso's main industries is commercial fishing. So, if fishing is what you want, then as suggested in a previous post, check out the yucatan today website and you should be able to find something. Even though this port is still new, there are still many things to do if you look hard enough.

Alabama_Cruisin-

You can also kayak the mangroves, bike ride and snorkle in cenotes if you don't like colonial cities, amazing Mexican food, Mayan ruins and Gulf of Mexico beaches. I like that each port has different things to offer and as much as I love Cozumel I like what Progreso has to offer too.

If you had been to Playa del Carmen, Cozumel or Roatan way back when you would not have liked them either. We went to Playa del Carmen when they were building the first hotel - nothing but stray dogs, dirt roads and a few houses but we still had a great time at Xel Ha, Xcaret, and Tulum. Cozumel is very different now than it was 30 years ago when we first went there. I doubt you would have gotten off the ship. Unfortunately, too many tourists have caused it to get over-commercialized. Feel free to stay onboard while the rest of us enjoy Progreso before it gets spoiled. It is way more developed now than it was when we first went there 15 years ago. I just hope it doesn't lose its charm like Cozumel did.

While the town of Progreso is not the most attractive place in the world (I live here, I have said it repeatedly myself) the term 'hole' is just a tiny bit offensive, don't you think?

Hundreds of people have enjoyed themselves here; they can't all have been missionaries and community organizers.

My advice? Stay on the ship and spare us all your company.

While the town of Progreso is not the most attractive place in the world (I live here, I have said it repeatedly myself) the term 'hole' is just a tiny bit offensive, don't you think?

Hundreds of people have enjoyed themselves here; they can't all have been missionaries and community organizers.

My advice? Stay on the ship and spare us all your company.

Well said!

when our family group of 22 went here in March we found this to be our favorite port. We rode the double decker bus and then just hung out on the beach and swam while some rented a jet ski. It was nice to relax and visit while the resturant employes took care of us.

Just wanted to give my 2 cents. Carnival chooses that as a destination because some people really want to see it. If it doesn't hold much excitement for you, that's OK. But it does for some of us. In fact, we chose the cruise we did specifically because Progreso was one of the ports of call. We were going to take a slightly shorter and less expensive cruise until I realized I could see some of the Mayan ruins I've always wanted to see if we booked the particular cruise that stops in Progreso.

I love the beauty, intrigue and history of these ruins. I can understand that it doesn't appeal to everyone, but a general statement that Carnival shouldn't stop there at all is sad to me. I hope you find yourself enjoying your trip. And if you find something that appeals to you, do it. If you don't, stay on the ship and enjoy your day there. But, I was surprised to see such a negative comment about a vacation you are choosing to take and pay for. I wouldn't be going if I weren't totally excited about it.

Also, I understand the cenotes are absolutely beautiful. If we weren't visiting the ruins, that would probably be my next choice. But there are many other things to do as well including: snorkeling, kayaking, dune buggies, and of course the shopping and hanging out at the beach. In any case, I hope you don't let your dislike of one place get in the way of having a great trip.

His attitude about Progreso reminds me of the ladies I met on a cruise that stopped at Calica and Cozumel. In Calica they took the shopping excursion to the mall in Cancun. It dropped them back in Playa del Carmen for a bit before they returned to the ship. In Cozumel they also took the shopping excursion. On the sea day heading back to Galveston they said they couldn't understand why anyone ever went to Playa del Carmen or Cozumel. They love the mall in Cancun - bought lots of stuff at the Ralph Lauren store and had hamburgers for lunch. But as for Playa del Carmen and Cozumel - why those people spoke Spanish and the restaurants were all Mexican so they did not like it one bit. I asked them why on earth they booked a cruise with all ports in Mexico and they said they didn't know that Calica and Cozumel were in Mexico. I just shook my head as I was too stunned to ask them if they were idiots or what!

His attitude about Progreso reminds me of the ladies I met on a cruise that stopped at Calica and Cozumel. In Calica they took the shopping excursion to the mall in Cancun. It dropped them back in Playa del Carmen for a bit before they returned to the ship. In Cozumel they also took the shopping excursion. On the sea day heading back to Galveston they said they couldn't understand why anyone ever went to Playa del Carmen or Cozumel. They love the mall in Cancun - bought lots of stuff at the Ralph Lauren store and had hamburgers for lunch. But as for Playa del Carmen and Cozumel - why those people spoke Spanish and the restaurants were all Mexican so they did not like it one bit. I asked them why on earth they booked a cruise with all ports in Mexico and they said they didn't know that Calica and Cozumel were in Mexico. I just shook my head as I was too stunned to ask them if they were idiots or what!

Love it!

I'm generally a lurker but thought I'd step in here this time. I do get what you are saying about Progreso. It honestly isn't the same type of port as Cozumel. I've had fun on the beach the times we've been to Cozumel, but we also really loved Progreso. Progreso doesn't have the clear water and white sand beaches, so you do have to find a different adventure. On Carnival, they offer some excursions that look good like cenote snorkeling and biking, mangrove kayaking, jeep tours, and even an all-inclusive beach day at Reef Yucatan that some have enjoyed. Autoprogresso runs excursions to Mayan ruins that are good if you are even thinking you might be interested.

We were one of the families that went into Merida with Hdawson (Hi John!) It really did change my impression of the Yucatan area of Mexico. I know, I know you're on vacation in the Caribbean and might not be into that kind of thing but we had a blast. We sat at a cafe and had a drink and relaxed and watched the city, we toured the very old cathedral, saw an amazing opera house, government buildings with huge pieces of artwork, and the city plaza. Yes, there were vendors. No, they didn't bother us any and we are a family with young kids. We hired a taxi driver to take us to a small Mayan ruin called Dzibilchaltun on the way back to the ship. Had an great time there also. We climbed a temple and waded in the cenote. It was totally empty of people and we could explore at will. No tour groups, no throngs of people, just us and a couple of others in the whole place. I highly recommend it. I'm from Mississippi and just don't have the opportunity to see things like that often.

I guess what I am saying is that at first I felt the same as you and was really wondering what to do at this port. It is worth the effort to get off the ship and find an adventure that sounds good to you. Just try it and you will see!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am glad the ship stops in progresso. Marida is an awesome city. Home to alot of Expats. And even more culture. Chitzen itza is a day trip that everyone should do at least once if not twice. It was recently named one of the new seven wonders of the world. It makes a great mix for ports. to me, one carribean tourist beach is the same as the other. Why go to another country if all you want to do is experience what you have at home. But to each his own, I suppose. But Carnival makes these stops not to sucker people but because some people want more than a beach and booze.

Hello WilliamLawson

We will be in progresso the first part of September. Wanted to walk the downtown area and do a little shopping and sight seeing, then go to the beach. Is there a chance of getting lost. I cant find any maps. Can you give me any idea of the weather this time of year?

Thanks

Hola Gary!

It's hard to say how the weather will be beyond warm and humid. We will be in the midst of our hurricane season so you might not even arrive here as the cruise ships often go elsewhere if there is the slightest chance of a storm in the area.

But warm and humid it will be for sure.

As for getting lost, well that's part of the fun. Progreso is not at all big and people are friendly and you will not have any problems getting where you want to go. There's not a heck of a lot to sight see in Progreso itself; the town is right there on the water so you don't have to walk anywhere to find it. It's a shipping and fishing port and very small compared to anything you might have in the US of A. If you want something more interesting to do take a cab or a bus (super cheap) into Merida, 30 minutes away and then you will have something to see.

For maps you might try yucatantoday.com.

Hello WilliamLawson

We will be in progresso the first part of September. Wanted to walk the downtown area and do a little shopping and sight seeing, then go to the beach. Is there a chance of getting lost. I cant find any maps. Can you give me any idea of the weather this time of year?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to add that I originally felt the same way as 'Alabama Cruisin' when I went to Montego Bay, Jamaica. Based on reviews and what a friend told me, it's dirty and there are people everywhere asking you to buy things. I really didn't want to get off the ship because I was worried I wouldn't like it. My family and I just took a basic tour of the city. While I agree that I wasn't impressed with Montego Bay, I did get some great photos and the knowledge that I can check Jamaica off my list.

Even though I didn't like Jamaica, I'm glad I didn't just listed to other reviews and stayed on the ship. I was able to make a judgement call on my own. Of course, with this knowledge, I'll make sure I won't go on a cruise that stops in Jamaica again.

Firstly, the OP is clearly trolling.

That said, since others read this board and may be asking similar questions....

The food in the Yucatan is some of the most amazing and original cookery anywhere in the world. Keep in mind that Mayan people still live in the Yucatan, and the food is very much influenced by that. There are recipes that are still in use from the Mayan days. Check out this page for info on the food of the region (http://www.mexconnect.com/articles/2327-the-cuisine-of-the-yucatan-a-gastronomical-tour-of-the-maya-heartland).

Staying on the ship in Progreso is the equivalent of bypassing Rome, Paris, and London...combined...because you don't care for history or architechture, and the ships food would be just as good. The city now called Merida is older than any of those three European cities. Just because the people are brown does not mean the culture and history are any less rich and interesting. Give Merida/Progreso a try, you may be amazed. ;)

I appreciate the OP staying on the ship. It will be one less idiot "American tourist" in town to make the rest of us look bad.

We love visiting the Yucatan and the people who live there.

• 1 month later...

I am so glad that your comments represent a small percent of the people on this board-commonly known as the ugly American. I am planning on spending two months in this area next Feb/Mar 2012, and doubt that will be enough time to see the beauty of this area. After many trips to Cancun, Cozmel I look forward to a less touristy area in the Yucatan but I also hate road trips taken on interstate hiways. It seems to me that the side roads and stops on a journey provide the greatest rewards for taking the trip, a cruise ship allows lots of side trips to the persons willing to step out of their comfort zone for a few hours. This is one of the safest areas in Mexico with some of the greatest cultural experiences possible in a few short hours.

Archived