I'm confused.... nice places are crowded, because peopl want to go there....

After reading this thread (bouncing in here from hearing about a good deal to this port and never having been to it before), I'm way MORE inclined to visit than not to. Thank you for all the positive information - it sounds like an interesting and beautiful area to visit. I may just have found THE "great deal on a great cruise" I was looking for!!

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all of your comments...

especially "Staying on the ship in Progreso is the equivalent of bypassing Rome, Paris, and London...combined"

I'm sure everyone who posted would agree with that statement.

I hate to shop, and I do know I'm going to be in Mexico. I have been on many cruise, and love Carnival.

If I can just make my point, let's all go online. Open up 2 windows on your browser. Type in a search both of them. On one, search for "St Martin"(my favorite cruise destination) and on the other one type in "Progresso".....

I love a lot of things about cruising. Snorkeling, sightseeing, diving, fishing. How many people went to Progresso, stayed in Progresso, and had an awesome time? Please refer me to your post. I'd love to read it. I keep reading about bad toilets and crooked waiters. I'm trying to be positive. I had a great time in Playa Del Carmen. Thanks for the poster who gave me a tip on deep sea fishing.

If you want to visit ruins, there are so many ports that are closer.

Sorry for calling the city a hole. I didn't mean it like that. I'm from a little hole also, but I don't expect visitors either.

To sum up, though.... no snorkeling, cloudy water, below average beaches, good food, ruins some distance away(between 30-50 miles, which takes 30 min to 1 1/2 hours), and maybe some good deep sea fishing (anyone have a report on that?).

To answer a question posted, I'm going on this particular cruise because I don't want to spend an exorbitant amount of money on airfare, and New Orleans is a very nice departure port. Lots of things to do and see before and after the cruise.

I'm sure I'll have fun on the cruise. I guess my new wife and I (this will be our honeymoon) will just walk off the ship and go for a walk around Progresso. I'll give a report when I get back.

Well, I spent some time looking up deep sea fishing in Progreso, and found one person who would take you out, although the review said he didn't have any rods or reels. Carnival offers no fishing, and from what I've researched any other port would be better for fishing than this one. The boats near Progreso would have to drive miles just to get to any deep water at all, and your time is already limited because you're coming off a cruise ship.

I also looked up the UxMal ruins, and reviews said it was 1:45 bus ride one way. 3 1/2 hours on a bus is kind of a long time.

We could go and climb a lighthouse, I've heard.

Regarding the beaches, during the winter months I've heard they are full of seaweed. I go to Destin's beaches regularly, so I wonder if they're comparable. Guess I'll find out.

As far as the great food, though, I'm of the opinion that since I paid a pretty good bit for the awesome food on the cruise, I'm not sure I want to go out of my way to pay for food that might be as good as the food on the ship.

All the reports I've read agree with the posts here. Progreso is a good port to get off on only if you want to see the "real" Mexico. Not everyone speaks English. You'll see poverty, too; more evidence of reality in our neighbor country.

I did finally figure out why this is a cruise port...... I should have realized it a lot sooner.

Merida is one of the main cities of Mexico, so they invested a lot of money to build a 4 1/2 mile pier in Progreso to get 2,000 wallets per cruise ship to come to their city. I wonder how much money Carnival gets to send the cruise ships to Progreso?

So it has nothing to do with Carnival trying to pick the best port for the passengers to stop at. They figure we'll just get off and spend our money anywhere, and eventually Progreso will turn into a nice port. I still think they can't do anything about the brown water, the seaweed covered beaches, and no real sport activities within 10 miles.

I agree that the town of Cozumel has gotten way too touristy. That's why I rent a jeep, and explore the island. There are many parts of the island of Cozumel where I can see the "real" Mexico. Same with Play Del Carma. If you want to see real Mexico at either of those ports, just rent a car and go for a drive.

I guess a person could argue with me that if I didn't drink the water, I wasn't experiencing the "real" Mexico.

I have the opportunity to go on missions to Mexico, and I will go on one of those if I want to see the "real" Mexico.

I hate the thought of staying on the ship in a port (I have never done it), but I still haven't found anything. Exploring cities in the heat, and having people beg(or sell me stuff I'll throw away after the cruise), is just not what I want on my cruise. Sorry to all those who love that. I definitely don't.

Took one last thorough look on the internet for something to do.... here's a sight.....

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/North_America/Mexico/Estado_de_Yucatan/Progreso-935956/TravelGuide-Progreso.html

I love the fact that the first things this web sight mentions is "go somewhere else (the ruins an hour or more away by bus), or help the less fortunate.

For those of you who want to go to Progeso to help the less fortunate, please stay home, save all the money you would have spent on the cruise, and help all the less fortunate people who are in our wonderful country.

I am not saying there is anything wrong with the city of Progreso. I just think it isn't a place a cruise ship should stop. There are plenty of cities along the coast of the United States, but Key West is about the only one cruise ships stop at. That's because it has lots of thing to do and lots of things to see. I think it would be ridiculous to have a cruise ship stop fort pierce just so everyone can take a 2 hour ride to visit Disney World for an hour or 2.

Alabama. The 4.5 mile pier was there long before Carnival. It is a major sea freight port. My first two port calls were on Celebrity 8 or ten years ago. I've now had three port calls and three two-week land vacations to Merida, exploring Uxmal, Campeche and some rural villages. Campeche is another beautiful old city on the bay.

Alabama. The 4.5 mile pier was there long before Carnival. It is a major sea freight port. My first two port calls were on Celebrity 8 or ten years ago. I've now had three port calls and three two-week land vacations to Merida, exploring Uxmal, Campeche and some rural villages. Campeche is another beautiful old city on the bay.

Thank you so much for reading my concerns. I am in agreement with you one hundred percent. I am sure that Merida is a nice city. I called up Campeche, and I would be so excited if Carnival was going there. Check out the below picture, it looks amazing. Campeche also has snorkeling and fishing! What an amazing hidden jewel. Thanks for pointing it out, it's just sad we're not going there.....

I did notice you didn't comment on Progreso at all. I wouldn't either. I would love to come to visit Merida for a couple of weeks, and I would spend a lot of time traveling to all the ruins, and exploring the city. But alas, I'm just hopping off a cruise ship for a few hours, and hate the idea of wasting half of them traveling.

Campeche, and Campeche island. If you're skimming this post, THIS IS NOT PROGRESO!!! Don't get confused...

Campeche001.JPG

thumbs_campeche_island_01.jpg

I was wrong.... the snorkeling and stuff is on Campeche island, which I think is in Brazil. I figured it was like Destin, and Destin beaches, but I was wrong.

Here's some info directly from "travelYucatan.com"... not my words

=.gifPROGRESO MERIDA CAMPECHE BEACHES

==.gif Progreso

The western tip of the Yucatan Peninsula isn't generally known for its beaches. The water is a murky brown and is not to appealing to swim in. People do swim in it and there is a beach near Progreso City on the coast.

The palm tree disease has also hit this area and killed most of the palm trees. The coastline is pretty desolate around Progreso except for fishing huts and docks.

If you're dreaming about lush tropical vegetation and beautiful beaches then this coastline is definitely out of the question.

top.gif

==.gif MERIDA BEACHES

Merida is not close to any beaches. The best beach is Progreso. See above.

top.gif

==.gif CAMPECHE BEACHES

There are no beaches close to Campeche City. In fact there are only two hotels there with swimming pools.

To get to the beach, take a taxi or bus and head southwest on Av Ruiz Cortines for about 30 km. There you will find a quaint beach called Payucan. Snorkeling is not any good here.

There is an island off the coast called Ciudad del Carmen that has a number beaches that come highly recommended. We have never visited the island. Apparently there is diving and good snorkeling there.

• 4 weeks later...

while i agree some with the OP....i'm finding it difficult to find something interesting to do here in port and wonder why this location was chosen. sure there are ruins. and if you are in to that great.

to each their own. we are all entitled to our opinions...and the op simply asked for help.

from what i have read "hole" could accurately describe some places here. charging $1 for 3 squares of toilet paper, and no seat...yep, that's a "hole"!

some people find museums interesting, or architecture, or ruins, or the beach etc. i personally find the pools boring onboard and some people love them. I cannot imagine anyone wanting to swim in those tiny pools but hey, to each their own.

it seems like this particular port offers ruins, a few places to eat and poor beaches. (someone correct me if i'm wrong please-as i'm sure you will)

i have never missed a port, but it seems if i was going to miss one, this would be it. when i first booked this cruise i was excited about going to a port that i have never been to. however, finding anything remotely close to fun and entertaining is becoming difficult.

Thanks for the response, I started this post hoping someone would say "oh, you're wrong, there is a spot you can go snorkeling there.

I talked to someone at the drugstore while getting my passport picture who had just gotten back from this cruise (it goes out of Mobile for now), and she cussed this port. She said they went on the Kayak expedition, and all the girls in her group had to throw their swimsoits away after they got in the water. She was probably exasperating, but still, she was very disappointed.

I still wonder with all of the great ports on the Yucatan to visit, why Carnival insists on this one. When I go to the ocean, I love to do thing in the ocean..... go figure!

being a Texan, I know from our "gulf water" that the ocean/beach we have is nothing compared to other locales. I have been forewarned to expect "galveston-like" cloudy water. I can handle that knowing in advance of this. I would have been extremely disappointed if i showed up expecting to see water like Cozumel only to find Galveston lol.

don't get me wrong, Galveston is lovely...and it's the best ocean front we have lol.

Well you have a picture of some zip-line fun there; I am sure if you got out of Progreso and went cenote exploring, you would love it. :D

i would love for you to share with us some wonderful things to do here in your town. something not including ruins-as i have a child who would be bored to death with that...and me too personally.

zip lining available in Progresso? yes, this would be awesome as I have zip lined in many places! unfortunately my 6 yo cannot.

but i'm open to other suggestions, so William, please, help us out. help us find the hidden treasure your town has to offer us.

I thank you in advance.

Alabama.

This thread reminds me of this one. It is a Cruise Critic thread where someone didn't like Progreso. I'm not going to defend Progreso, but I've seen many places like it in the Caribbean. As far as places to stop, I wish Carnival would stop at Playa del Carmen instead. Nothing against the people, just not that much to do locally. I will be going to the ruins at Uxmal in Jan., however.

The bottom line is the experience is what you make it. If you want to relax and enjoy a warmer climate, there is a place to do that in Progreso. Trinket shopping? They got that too. High adventure. I don't think so. (Unless you want to try smuggling).

• 2 weeks later...
i would love for you to share with us some wonderful things to do here in your town. something not including ruins-as i have a child who would be bored to death with that...and me too personally.

zip lining available in Progresso? yes, this would be awesome as I have zip lined in many places! unfortunately my 6 yo cannot.

but i'm open to other suggestions, so William, please, help us out. help us find the hidden treasure your town has to offer us.

I thank you in advance.

Cuzama Cenotes - 3 underground caves with crystal blue water you can swim in. You and your six year old would love it. No ruins.

• 4 weeks later...

Also, I understand the cenotes are absolutely beautiful. If we weren't visiting the ruins, that would probably be my next choice. But there are many other things to do as well including: snorkeling, kayaking, dune buggies, and of course the shopping and hanging out at the beach. In any case, I hope you don't let your dislike of one place get in the way of having a great trip.

I can't respond to every post that's attacking me, but please state the case of what there really is to do in Progreso. Yes, I know there are ruins. But their are nice ruins near most of the ports in Mexico. Please tell me more about the snorkeling, adplace. Have you researched it, like I have. I'm curious.

His attitude about Progreso reminds me of the ladies I met on a cruise that stopped at Calica and Cozumel. In Calica they took the shopping excursion to the mall in Cancun. It dropped them back in Playa del Carmen for a bit before they returned to the ship. In Cozumel they also took the shopping excursion. On the sea day heading back to Galveston they said they couldn't understand why anyone ever went to Playa del Carmen or Cozumel. They love the mall in Cancun - bought lots of stuff at the Ralph Lauren store and had hamburgers for lunch. But as for Playa del Carmen and Cozumel - why those people spoke Spanish and the restaurants were all Mexican so they did not like it one bit. I asked them why on earth they booked a cruise with all ports in Mexico and they said they didn't know that Calica and Cozumel were in Mexico. I just shook my head as I was too stunned to ask them if they were idiots or what!

DebJ14... What on earth are you talking about? The last 2 times I've been in Cozumel, I have rented a jeep, and explored the island myself, away from the tourist area. I went snorkeling, did some real shopping with the locals (although my Spanish is rough), had a few drinks, sat on the beautiful beach, had a few drinks, and went snorkeling some more. You pick on these 2 women for shopping at every port, yet that's about the only thing Progreso has to offer.

My point on this post is not that I can easily name 10 places for Carnival to stop at that put Progreso to shame. I am just simple wanting to seriously know what there is to do besides shopping and driving cross country to the ruins(which I'll probably end up doing). In most of the other ports, you can drive yourself to the ruins, and then go to the beach for the rest of the day.

Seriously, doesn't it seem weird to y'all that Carnival picked a port that doesn't have any beaches, or fishing (the shelf extends out for miles), and the only swimming recommend is in fresh water. We have fresh water here. Snorkeling in fresh water really lacks in things to see. No fish, no coral.

tximprov, I agree that a port should not be "booze and beach"..... why would you accuse me of wanting that? How about "a nice beach to relax at, snorkel, and fish"? You do understand that a port like Playa Del Carmen has all the stuff you are talking about, and the beach in addition, correct?

I don't prefer stopping in Cancun (in fact, I've never been), because it is known as a "booze and beach" place

Let's make it clear, I know that you can drive 30-40 miles to some nice attractions, but can't you pretty much do that in almost any part of Mexico? Yes, I know I'm in Mexico.

I realize now that I'm going on an hour bus ride to see the ruins. I'm sure I will enjoy them. I would just really love to be able to come back to the port and enjoy one of the hundreds of beaches Mexico has to offer.

To the people who are criticizing me, please don't. It's childish and mean. I said before, I'm sure Progreso is a nice place. I just feel it shouldn't be a stop for a major cruise line. Meridian, Miss is a nice place. But I'm not recommending it as a tourist stop. My brother live in Texas. Thousands of the people visit the beaches there, but he'll be honest and tell you they're not very nice.

I'm just a simple person who appreciates total honesty. I like Gulf Shores, but to be honest it doesn't hold a candle to the gorgeous waters of the Caribbean. I will miss seeing those when we stop in Progreso. That's why I'm sad about this port. So many beautiful places to chose from, you know?

Why don't the people who are serious look up these ports.....

Tulum, Playa Del Carmen, Isla Mujeres, Cancun

and then tell me why Carnival stops in Progreso?

Y'all could have been a lot more helpful, which is why we're all on this site, by telling me the truth.....

West of Cancun is Merida, Capital city of the Yucatan. Once an ancient city of the Maya it is now the hub of economic commerce and trade. Merida is situated perfectly so you can travel to any number of ruin sites. However the closest beaches are on the Gulf of Mexico and you may not want to swim in this water. In fact the palm tree disease has almost wiped out every palm tree and the water is pretty murky, but many people do swim in it.

I guess the answer to this post is ...

No beaches, no snorkeling, not much fishing. Best advise: Drive out of Progreso, find your favorite ruin, and go see Merida if you're into shopping and cities.

I read though most of this tread. From this, it seems some have the opinion the beaches in Progreso are not recommended. We have been to Play del Carmen and know what the beaches are like there. From those who have spent a day on the "free" beaches in Progreso and used the bars and restaurants near the pier, is the area really that bad? What did you like/dislike about the beaches here?

I'll try to provide an answer as to why Carnival ports in Progreso.

I own a beachfront house in Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico, which is a small fishing village about 6 miles west of Progreso. My husband and I purchased and renovated it 3.5 years ago as our vacation home, and we visit several times a year. Our main home is in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

I believe that there are different types of vacationers looking for different experiences, some are more tourists and some are more travelers. Some people prefer a more spiffed up packaged experience that is a little different from where they come from, but not too different as to be uncomfortable for them; some folks prefer to see an entirely different culture with a peek into another life. There are many cruises, with many itineraries, some similar, some different.

True, the waters on the Gulf side are more green and cloudy, and the waters on the Caribbean side are a brilliant blue. But sometimes the waters in front of my home nearly stop completely and are eerily quiet, dark green, interesting. True, the shops and restaurants in the east have long been fine tuning the tourist game, and provide well for that experience; while the shops and restaurants in the north west have just begun to figure this market out and are much newer to it. I find the differences fun, and they also provide for the opportunity to buy a white cotton blouse with colorful hand embroidery for about $10 usd.

There are things to love in the area, but you have to look a little harder for them. The Yucatecan food is wonderful, try chicken pibil, or poc chuc, lime soup, or panuchos, if you see them on menus. This isn't the Mexico of nachos and burritos, but of wonderfully marinated meats slow cooked with full and spicy flavors.

The people are wonderful, kind, and proud here. If you are able to strike up a conversation with a local, you will find someone who values their family above all else, who dislikes saying no to requests, who tries to see the positive in life no matter what they are being given.

When I am at my Mex home, I take long walks along the beach every morning, and enjoy the peace and quiet of the waves lapping the empty beaches as the sun comes up. I like to watch the fishermen come down to the shore and push their boats out, as they wave goodbye to their families.

I like to buy ice, or water, or anything, from the lady who runs the local tienda, so she can try to practice her English and I can try to practice my Spanish, and we can both have a laugh at our attempts, while her elderly Mom nods a smile from her chair on the sidewalk.

On a quiet day I can take a bike ride on sand roads through small towns, or take a kayak in a river filled with flamingos in their natural habitat.

And then there is Merida, such a lovely city, and one of the prime reasons we purchased our beach house. We can have a house on the water, and in a short drive have Merida, too. Merida is a mix of a beautiful colonial city filled with leafy squares, cultural landmarks, and architecture dating back to the 1500's. At one time it was the wealthiest city in the world, and the main avenue (Montejo) is lined with lovely homes that are hundreds of years old. I never tire of this romantic city. If I'm in the mood for modern stuff - Starbucks, Home Depot, Costco, ice skating in the mall, movie theaters with recliners and cocktail service - it's got that too.

I've been to all the ruins, my favorite being Uxmal, but I enjoy Dzibilchaltun for it's lack of tourists. I've visited restored henequin/sisal plantations, swam in cenotes under the ground with sun streaming in through crevices in rocks, I've heard the local songs of love, known as Trova, performed in a walled courtyard. I've eaten in a tiny restaurant, that was really the front yard of a family's small home, and had them serve me whatever they had prepared that day for less than $3 usd, and left full and happy.

I'm a traveler, and have been fortunate enough to hop all over the world several times a year. I'm also a cruiser on occasion, and even take Carnival ships out of New Orleans that port in Progreso, to bring things down to our house, when that option works better than flying in.

Different experiences in travel don't have to be good or bad, sometimes they are just different.

Get off the ship, take a cab to La Ria (the river) about 5 minutes away, and go for a kayak, I promise you won't need to throw your bathing suit out. Come back to the Malecon (boardwalk) and take a walk, have a refreshing Chelada (a local drink of beer with lime juice), if you're brave like me order some ceviche to go with it, if not, just get some chips with fresh guacamole; buy something you don't need from the folks walking up and down the beach. Take a walk west, in the other direction, and maybe see someone fishing with a line from the beach. Get back on the boat, and cruise on.

Love it or hate it, don't pass on it.

Get off the ship, take a cab to La Ria (the river) about 5 minutes away, and go for a kayak, I promise you won't need to throw your bathing suit out. Come back to the Malecon (boardwalk) and take a walk, have a refreshing Chelada (a local drink of beer with lime juice), if you're brave like me order some ceviche to go with it, if not, just get some chips with fresh guacamole; buy something you don't need from the folks walking up and down the beach. Take a walk west, in the other direction, and maybe see someone fishing with a line from the beach. Get back on the boat, and cruise on.

Love it or hate it, don't pass on it.

Excellent! Love your comments. Thank you for participating. I will now go to the ruins, and then take your advise and go for a walk on the beach. If I pack a fishing pole, what are the chances of wading in and catching fish? Can we just rent some Kayaks? I will have to try a Chelada. Any specific place you would recommend for buying one at? Also, where would you buy a souvenir?

Hello Alabama,

Depending what ruins you are visiting will now be a factor in how much time you have left in port. If you are visiting Dzibilchaltun, this will only take about half your day; if you are going farther afield to Uxmal or Chichen Itza, then your entire day will evaporate.

I wouldn't go through the trouble of packing a fishing pole for the limited amount of time, but I am a minimalistic packer. Most locals just fish with a weighted piece of fishing line on a makeshift spool, and toss it in. Many of them are successful from the shore, and some use the shorter fishing pier just west of the main shipping pier.

At La Ria, you can rent kayaks. I can't remember the exact price but it seems it is around 100 pesos (approx $8 usd) per hour. You probably won't have time for this, and the ruins too. I think I have seen people renting out kayaks on the beach on cruise days on occasion, but this would not be nearly as good kayaking as at the river.

Hmmmm, where would I enjoy a Chelada? Le Saint Bonnet is an attractive place to sit, at the front of their restaurant, good views of the beach and people watching. Also, Flamingo's has a similar atmosphere. Eladio's often times has a live band, and you can enjoy your drink on the beach while listening to music. All will be crowded on cruise day with other cruise goers.

I sometimes like to buy from the vendors who walk up and down the beach selling. They will stop by your table and show you their wares. A polite "No, gracias" moves them on. If you are interested, look, select, and maybe have a slight negotiation. I like to buy the cotton blouses from the Mayan woman, usually with her 2 daughters. But you may enjoy something from the basket weaving man, maybe a set of woven drink coasters. I skip the guys selling DVDs, as they are usually of very poor quality, but I have a friend who buys them by the handful.

Thanks for all the info! Your answers have led to more questions, I'm afraid:rolleyes:

Is Dzibilchaltun a good choice so I won't have to drive all day? Or are the Uxmal ruins worth the drive? I want to be able to walk around on the ruins, also.

Can I safely rent a car and drive there myself?

What do you mean by Kayaking in the river? Can you walk to the river and rent a kayak? If I rent a car, can I do the Dzibilchaltun ruins and the Kayak?

I am definitely not a minimalist when it comes to packing, so I may try to slip a pole in, depending on what we decide to do.

If you were in port for one day only, what would your itinerary be?

Thanks!!!

David

Hello again David,

To me, there is no comparison between Uxmal and Dzib., Uxmal wins hands down. I even prefer it to Chichen Itza. Uxmal is huge, and you can spend all day walking the grounds, seeing the ruins, climbing all over them. Amazing iguanas everywhere here. The ruins themselves are also on a very grand scale, very impressive. To me, it is certainly worth the drive. Dzib is good if you just want a quick taste of some ruins, but don't want to go more than 20 minutes or so away from Progreso, that's the benefit of them.

You can safely rent a car and drive all over this area, if you are referring to safely in regards to crime, Yucatan State is extremely safe. If you are talking safety in regards to possibly losing your mind out of frustration by getting lost in the countryside on poorly marked roads, having a break down in the middle of nowhere, crazy drivers, or a possible surprise by a cow in the road, then that's a different matter. Driving in this area takes more patience and concentration than normal, and generally you need to allow for much more time. Remember the area is not as generated to tourism traffic from cruise ships, so you won't find lots of car rental agencies at the beach. Most are located in Merida. I think you can arrange with several of them to meet you out at the beach. I seem to recall seeing a sign for one in Progreso, but haven't seen their lot. My number one tip would be to save yourself a heck of a lot of serious frustration, and a great deal of time, and hire a car & driver for the day, or engage a cab for the day when you get off the ship.

No, you cannot walk to La Ria (means "the river", where the kayak rental is). It is about 5 minutes drive away from downtown Progreso. Like I said, you may be able to rent kayaks from someone on the beach and kayak in the Gulf, but La Ria is better, as you can kayak near the mangroves and see more wildlife.

Yes, you could do both Dzib and kayaking in one day.

If I were in port for one day only...well, I will be in port for one day only in January, and it will look like this: get off the ship with some new pool lounge chairs and several new sets of towels, as well as random other items for my beach house, (yes, we'll look like the Beverly Hillbillies); take a cab over to Chelem, drop the stuff off. Meet with my caretaker, check out the house. Catch up with a friend who is living in my casita (small house). Have them give me a ride back into town, and stop along the way for a leisurely lunch with some beers, and be back on the ship mid-afternoon.

But I don't think that's what you meant. You know that what one person finds to be interesting, may not be of interest at all to someone else, so that is a difficult question. My hands-down favorite thing to do, and to take people to visit, is the Sotuta de Peon restored henequin plantation. It's a great visit to a lovely colonial plantation home, restored to it's early glory of when Merida was a major player in the world, due to it's production of sisal, used for shipping rope. The tour is very interesting and well done, and afterwards they have the most beautiful cenote for taking a cooling swim. It looks like something out of a movie - underground, with sunlight streaming through the cracks in the rocks above, the water is perfect and completely clear. Finish it up with a nice lunch in the great restaurant on site, and then back to Progreso.

If someone were looking to be active, I'd say take a cab to La Ria, kayak a bit, head back to Prog. and stroll around a bit, maybe take the quick double decker bus tour, have some lunch and a chelada, and then it's time to get back on the ship.

If someone were looking for Mayan history, visit a Uxmal or Dzibilchaltun.

If someone was into colonial Mexico, take a cab into historic Merida, stroll around the Plaza Grand, take a horse and buggy ride, have lunch, shop a little, and head back, taking the Montejo (main street) to see the old mansions.

If someone were into interesting small colonial cities, I'd take them for the day to Izamal, the "yellow city", have lunch, and then return.

If someone were into markets and food, I'd hire a guide to give me a tour of the large central markets in Merida, and introduce me to lots of the foods being sold by the street vendors in this area. I had a guide put this together for us, and some visiting friends one time, and it was an amazing food experience, I called it "Eat Like a Local in Merida".

If you really wanted to go fishing, I'd tell you to hop in a cab, and tell him to take you to the lighthouse in Chelem (which is la ria in Chelem), ask for Julian (have heard Willem is good too), and they'll take you out in their little boat. Although I have heard that it's best very early, at daylight.

Just depends.

Archived