Cruising from Southampton, England

KAWS

What should we pay for a cab ride from Town center to the cruise port?

Also...I have been looking in vain for a Southampton Pub with an email address. All I can find on any of them is street address or phone number. Our cruise critic group wants to have a precruise meal and get together in a centrally located pub(at this count there are 50 of us)

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Doug

Hi, Doug,

Yes, I see your problem. :( E-mail isn't really the medium for pubs, so e-addresses aren't quoted.

And generic websites are a waste of time, there's too many of them with zero information & they have a distorted sense of geography, including in their listings pubs which are miles away.

A lot of pubs are unsuitable - many are music venues, many are "student" pubs, many are neighbourhood "locals" pubs.

If you quote any that you come across, we can tell you whether they're worth following-up.

You also have the problem that most pubs don't have the facilities for group meals.

For instance, if you come come across the Juniper Berry (recent name-change from Bosuns Locker) while trawling the net, this pub has a function room but doesn't offer meals - just buffets.

But with a couple of local phone calls I've gotten the e-mail addresses of the two most likely candidates, both can cater meals for a group of about 50, both are traditional "olde England" pubs:

http://southampton-pubs.co.uk/dukeofwellington/

e-mail address is

mazzy_1212-1952@tiscali.co.uk

(there's an underscore after mazzy, masked by the underlining. But it'll be correct if you cut & paste)

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/leisure/pubs/4089380.The_Red_Lion__High_Street__Southampton/

(couldn't access their own website, but this gives you an idea)

e-mail address is

tony-morris9@btinternet.com

A further option may be

http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/home/pubs/the-standing-order-southampton

Converted from a (1950's ?) bank, it has a bit of character. It is operated by J D Wetherspoons, a major pub chain. Don't expect linen napkins & tablecloths and smart uniformed staff - like a lot of pubs the service is pretty basic but the chain has a reputation for decent standards and good value food & drink. I doubt it has a function room, but Wetherspoons pubs tend to be large so your numbers shouldn't be a problem.

Contact details for the chain's head office on the website.

Or

http://www.platformtavern.com/

I don't know this pub, but it might be worth researching.

e-mail address on the website

La Margherita, posted by Ray, is an italian restaurant. Not what you were asking for, but attractively-located and well worth considering.

All these places, incl La Margherita, are conveniently located in the old town, walkable from most cruisers' hotels.

Town centre to any cruise terminal is likely to be at, or a little above, the minimum fare - about £5 to £8.

JB :)

I am a fan of Wetherspoon. a great fallback in a unfamliar town.

good selection of beer and drink at good prices

Some have laouts tha have areas they can et aside, not sure about the Standing I thnk I have been in but forget.

Most menu items simple but good value.

50 at once would be a push for most I have been in, but for an evening where you come and go over a few hours looking to eat drink and socialize could work.

Some also become drinkers pubs on certain nights often Fri/Sat

Have a look on cruisesouthampton.com this new website gives a fair bit of info on the city

Also you will find that Oxford Street has a good choice of pubs and restaurants

The White Star ,Oxfords and The Brasserie are good. The pub opposite (cant remember its name) has close associations with the Titanic

.... (Oxford St) ........the pub opposite (cant remember its name) has close associations with the Titanic

The Grapes.

http://www.thegrapessouthampton.co.uk/home

Several Titanic crew-members imbibed a little too much here, and missed the sailing. Saved by the demon drink ;)

I've not been in, don't know whether it's suitable for Doug, but there's an e-mail address on the contact-us page.

JB :)

John, southsea and inside....Thanks for the information. I will now go about researching the info ya'll (sorry, but I am from Texas after all) have provided. What a great help....Thanks

Doug

Archived